Bellazon

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Stromboli1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I don't understand why people single out TLJ as the worst of the Disney main trilogy.

All three of those films aren't great. But Rise of the Skywalker is one of the worst movies (not just SW movies but movies) I have ever seen.

7QqaqVS.png

:rofl: Fuck off!

I never understood the Palpatine thing either.  Came entirely out of left field with absolutely no set up and didn't make any sense with the story that they were telling.  Also didn't help that the trilogy was set up with essentially a remake of the original film and with no overarching plan in place, which allowed TLJ to end some of the threads that had begun in the previous film. 

The whole sequel trilogy, much like the prequels, were rather disappointing.

11 hours ago, VS19 said:

I never understood the Palpatine thing either.  Came entirely out of left field with absolutely no set up and didn't make any sense with the story that they were telling.  Also didn't help that the trilogy was set up with essentially a remake of the original film and with no overarching plan in place, which allowed TLJ to end some of the threads that had begun in the previous film. 

The whole sequel trilogy, much like the prequels, were rather disappointing.

That is the weirdest thing: apparently there was no overarching story arc agreed upon for the three films, so Abrams and Johnson were just allowed to do their own thing? How do you curate a movie trilogy that way? It's amateur hour.

1 minute ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

How do you curate a movie trilogy that way? It's amateur hour.

And especially when it's a part of a series that is very much reliant on the plots of the various films forming one overarching plotline.  Makes no sense whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 9:28 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

I don't understand why people single out TLJ as the worst of the Disney main trilogy.

All three of those films aren't great. But Rise of the Skywalker is one of the worst movies (not just SW movies but movies) I have ever seen.

7QqaqVS.png

:rofl: Fuck off!

The Rise of Skywalker is a very mediocre movie, made by untalented people with lots of retconning and stupid plots. It's possibly the worst Star Wars movies. I don't deny that.

But the problem with TLJ is that it's the starting point of Disney really insulting Star Wars' fans.

Not just because they thought "subverting our expectations" was a mark of talent" (which it's not).

Not just because they started to infect our IP (not theirs, ours, the fans') with woke trash.

No, no. It's mostly because they made a policy to antagonize fans, mock them, don't reply to their questions, negate everything they say. They literally started to instil the message that being fan of an IP is somehow "dangerous". IMO, that's unforgivable.

Mediocrity is one thing, but willingly trashing your audience is another.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:11 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

That is the weirdest thing: apparently there was no overarching story arc agreed upon for the three films, so Abrams and Johnson were just allowed to do their own thing? How do you curate a movie trilogy that way? It's amateur hour.

I agree :yes:

That's what happens when the leader of the company (Kathleen Kennedy) is an amateur whose goal is more to deconstruct the fandom and impose her political themes, than actually producing good stories.

14 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I kind of disagree that they should make fan service the priority in making these films.

Andor is great because it isn't interested at all in giving fan-friendly moments. Tony Gilroy just made the best Star Wars rebels show he could.

I didn't talk about fan service. I said they should stop antagonizing the fans. There's a huge difference.

The Force Awakens had lots of pseudo fan service and it was a poor movie (a bad remake of "A new hope").

TLJ was both a mediocre movie and its director insulted the fans. Not just because of his retconning and his inconsistent scenario, but also because he willingly antagonized the fanbase (on the internet, interviews, meeting...). He called them the usual names (-ist and -phobes) and said that there's no reasons to respect the canons of a franchise.

That's deeply contrary to what a franchise is. You can innovate and "subvert ppl's expections", while at least respecting the few rules there's been in a given universe. Otherwise the suspension of disbelief can't work.

Deconstructing Luke Skywalker had no sense in this movie. He's just the opposite of everything he is in the OT.

That's deeply non credible and disrespectful to the IP (and George Lucas).

(BTW, Jon Favreau understood that, which is why he rehabilitated Luke in the Mandalorian)

Rian Johnson is a very poor director. The critics liked him because he said the right things to trigger their Pavlovian reflexes. But the audience generally disliked the movie.

https://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/monthly_2022_12/1243662917_RottenTLJ.jpg.23ab247b99b316b304c46bc12f0ee0c5.jpg

1 minute ago, Enrico_sw said:

BTW, Jon Favreau understood that, which is why he rehabilitated Luke in the Mandalorian)

And Kathleen Kennedy (whose objective is to deconstruct Star Wars) hated it, which seemed to have triggered a civil war within Lucasfilm.

8 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Deconstructing Luke Skywalker had no sense in this movie. He's just the opposite of everything he is in the OT.

That's deeply non credible and disrespectful to the IP (and George Lucas).

(BTW, Jon Favreau understood that, which is why he rehabilitated Luke in the Mandalorian)

Rian Johnson is a very poor director. The critics liked him because he said the right things to trigger their Pavlovian reflexes. But the audience generally disliked the movie.

https://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/monthly_2022_12/1243662917_RottenTLJ.jpg.23ab247b99b316b304c46bc12f0ee0c5.jpg

I like RJ. I love Brick (which is a great movie if you like film noir).

I also very much liked Knives Out.

8 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

And Kathleen Kennedy (whose objective is to deconstruct Star Wars) hated it, which seemed to have triggered a civil war within Lucasfilm.

My problem with stuff like the Luke cameo is that I am tired of SW always returning to the Skywalker clan.

The fun thing about Andor is that there is none of that. Not even any Jedi characters.

They have this massive universe to play in and almost every property has returned to the same small group of characters for whatever reason.

I want to see the universe opened up beyond that, like Tony Gilroy tried to do with Andor.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:29 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

I like RJ. I love Brick (which is a great movie if you like film noir).

I also very much liked Knives Out.

Well, that's your opinion, man.

5f813c8efb0f8e177101e2fc9887a019.gif

I think Rian Johnson is arrogant, self-important and not very bright. And of course he's an admirer of the Woke cult (which is why he got the job:Amelie_wft:)

On 12/7/2022 at 8:31 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

My problem with stuff like the Luke cameo is that I am tired of SW always returning to the Skywalker clan.

The fun thing about Andor is that there is none of that. Not even any Jedi characters.

They have this massive universe to play in and almost every property has returned to the same small group of characters for whatever reason.

I want to see the universe opened up beyond that, like Tony Gilroy tried to do with Andor.

It's not about Luke getting back. It's about repairing the retconning that Rian did. That's why Jon Favreau did it. That's why ppl loved it.

Just now, Enrico_sw said:

It's not about Luke getting back. It's about repairing the retconning that Rian did. That's why Jon Favreau did it. That's why ppl loved it.

I didn't love it. I am so over the obsession with the Skywalker family. The SW universe is huge. Why are they always focusing on that tiny little corner of it which has already been overdone as it is?