Bellazon

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

jj3

10 hours ago, Avika said:

Oh, and Oscar Isaac, my body is ready

+1000 I was already a fan of his but he was gorgeous in this film. :heart: Daisy was beautiful and her acting was great. She reminds me a lot of Keira Knightley- they have the same voice in both accent and tone and their looks are vaguely similar. 

I loved the movie- I saw it Thursday night at midnight, and again on Saturday. Didn't disappoint either time. I watched Episode VI before going on Saturday, and it definitely echoes it a lot, but I felt like the new cast kept things fresh enough. I'm excited to see where the story will go now. 

I've been following Oscar's career for a few years now. He's such a talented actor. I'm so looking forward to his portrayal as apocalypse in X-Men. Based off of the trailer already he's gonna knock it out of the park. I agree exactly on Daisy. She has a very similar mouth to Keira. Their smile is so the same and yes when they speak I hear it. To me Daisy looks like a mix of Keira and Natalie. Which is kind of funny. She was such a standout. And so was John. He was really great. The whole cast is just talent after talent. I'm kind of bummed JJ won't be directing the sequels but at the same time Rian Johnson is an exceptionally gifted filmmaker. I love Looper. So I know he will do a brilliant job. And he's used Joseph Gordon a few times so let's hope he can bring him into the Star Wars universe.

Not really related to TFA, but I really hope Johnson goes with Tatiana Maslany for the next film. I heard she and Gina Rodrigez are on his shortlist, and I think she'll be incredible. She tested for Rogue One and Felicity beat her out, so I'm hoping she gets a second shot. 

Also, more Maz! Love Lupita as an actress, and the voice acting was great. 

I've read that they're casting for two significant female roles- so one spot is still potentially open if Gugu is in the film. Gugu hasn't been officially confirmed, and a writer from Variety said she wasn't in. :idk: I doubt we'll have anything concrete for a while. I'd love for Gugu to be in- like you said, she's gorgeous, and I'm really, really pleased with the diversity of the castings so far. :chicken: 

A bit more critical review: I'd give it a 4 out of 5.  

It's a good entertainment (flows (often rushes, in fact) smoothly from scene to scene). I think its directorial style is very modernist/safe (this movie could have been made by those inter-changable superhero directors)- takes few risks (hence its allegiance to the basic and proven frame of ANH) which causes it appear kind of derivative but at the same time no serious problems. JJ Abrams has always been a TV series style director to me.  This style is generally weaker on world crafting (compared to say, Ridley Scott or Spielburg films) and focuses on giving the characters more face-time.  A major drawback was how the contrivances and homages were non-stop and far fetched & dictated the course of events.  Yes, fate is guiding but there are limits to this (Indiana Jones trilogy did well in managing boundaries) but this movie crosses the line quite frequently.  

-The plot is a series of contrivances which conflict regularly with the laws of probability.  Does History really repeat itself, and if it does, will it do so in this fashion?

-  Overall I find the new cast serviceable but not memorable.  I'm indifferent.  A consequence of this is that I  can't think of a single scene that was particularly memorable or excellently acted.  This is very much Rey's story  (the change to a female lead is new and welcome).  The actress that carried her has skill but her writing was not particularly interesting.  

-the stormtroopers/first order are less intimidating than in the originals because the menacing presence of Darth Vader no-longer overshadows them. Now they remind me of Monty Python Nazi skits. The institution of the "First Order" could have used more development/exploration.

-Instead of "perfect ultimate badass" we have Kim Jung-un.  The risky- and novel- thing was to use a petulant young man (who looks like a 1990s Goth- Marylin Manson) with serious mental issues as the leader. While this is novel (good for generating smirks), it is underwhelming and detracts from the seriousness of the "First Order" and moves it closer to Monty Python Nazi camp. He does not-ever- appear like a competent leader, remotely plausible to hold his role nor is the charisma anywhere near Darth Vader.    

-  I did not like the use of the throwback actors.  The throwback actors could been made a lot more legendary, and kept at arms distance (the reality was far more mundane than the mythos). Too much Han Solo/Chewie and other oldies that are way past their prime. Eg. Hamil is a good example of what worked, although his part should been extended.

Further, I grew up seeing the star wars trilogy many times and am pretty familiar with sci-fi comic book tropes so considerable magic probably went over my head.  I am slanted towards the new and the innovative, or improved iterations.  So a bit more cynically  I can see Disney's consulting hand potentially over this in shaping the construction of the film.  They have the knack for merchandising and marketing to the broadest audience possible, which influenced creative choices.   This movie is doing very well, and has served its purpose.

other thoughts:

-The boring and irrelevant sci-fi political babble in the prequels has been removed in favor of a brisk, pace of action.

-The character of Finn appears to be a disguised "Star Wars Fanboy" who fortuitously drops into events. rather than an actual essential person in the narrative.  He functions as comic relief, stimulates energy, and acts as a human relation/reflection of the audience.    Is it not every Star Wars Fanboy/girl's dream to be dropped into space opera events themselves and accompany a pretty/handsome interest?

-My guess is that the relentless homaging to the past is likely to be tuned down in later installments now that it's served its purpose.  

• 2 weeks later...