Bellazon

General Celebrity Gossip

katchitup

4 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Yeah but you should realize that the books are very different from the series in that regard.

These are huge changes.  do you think that the book versions are better planned than the show versions?  

Jorah is physically very different than the show version.  Ian is an older but still a quite good looking man.  The Jorah in the books is described as being an old beast of man, looking more like an Umber lol.  It is evident in book 1/2 that Jorah is attracted to Dany but Dany views him as a great mentor/ friend and has no attraction towards him.

Also Tyrion is described as being more deformed but the show version (thank god) is not.

29 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

These are huge changes.  do you think that the book versions are better planned than the show versions?  

Jorah is physically very different than the show version.  Ian is an older but still a quite good looking man.  The Jorah in the books is described as being an old beast of man, looking more like an Umber lol.  It is evident in book 1/2 that Jorah is attracted to Dany but Dany views him as a great mentor/ friend and has no attraction towards him.

Also Tyrion is described as being more deformed but the show version (thank god) is not.

Yeah, Jorah and Tyrion are much more attractive/handsome on the TV show than in the books.

Tyrion's face is meant to be more misshapen. And by the time he survives the Battle of the Blackwater, he has lost most of his nose. On the show they just gave him a little scar.

But I get why they would change that kind of stuff. Less so with the plot development for the characters.

5 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Do you think they made it worse?

Well for some definitely. Like I think book Sandor is more interesting. More nuanced for sure.

Also Jorah and Tyrion's adventures in Essos go a bit deeper than the short bit we get of that on the show.

And even though she is less "fierce", I also think Sansa is much smarter written by GRRM than what Benioff & Weiss ended up doing with her.

I'm also convinced that whatever Stannis' greater role is in GRRMs vision, he is not going to perish during some doomed assault on Winterfell in the books.

The pre-published Theon chapter kind of reveals this a bit already.

In general I think Benioff & Weiss took a lot of stupid shortcuts to finish their show in the final three seasons.

2 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Well for some definitely. Like I think book Sandor is more interesting. More nuanced for sure.

Also Jorah and Tyrion's adventures in Essos go a bit deeper than the short bit we get of that on the show.

And even though she is less "fierce", I also think Sansa is much smarter written by GRRM than what Benioff & Weiss ended up doing with her.

I'm also convinced that whatever Stannis' greater role is in GRRMs vision, he is not going to perish during some doomed assault on Winterfell in the books.

The pre-published Theon chapter kind of reveals this a bit already.

In general I think Benioff & Weiss took a lot of stupid shortcuts to finish their show in the final three seasons.

This is a good scene in the show but the book version (Clash of Kings) is much longer and very well written.  It efficiently reveals a lot about the characters and it would have been cool to see a complete version in the show.

Is the pre-published Theon chapter referring to the Winds of Winter?  The Theon content in Clash of Kings is excellent and much more extensive than what we got in the show.

I look forward to completing the rest of the series.  Given my current listening habits I should be able to finish 2-5 within 3 1/2 months.

Is Jaime /Brienne and Cersei similar to what happens in the show?

The Jaime and Brienne story lines differ greatly from the books.

The Theon chapter is one from Winds of Winter that GRRM published on his blog a few years ago. He has also read it aloud at some fan events.

This is all the stuff that GRRM has given us a glimpse at in terms of Winds of Winter:

https://thehawke.github.io/twow-excerpts/

Theon chapter:

https://thehawke.github.io/twow-excerpts/chapters/theon.html

Thanks. I will read this chapter after I finish the books.

How about Arya Stark?

The Arya content in Books 1-2 is very impressive.  The general theme also reminds me of Ciri from the Witcher books.  I wonder now if it's a well established fantasy trope (tomgirl that gets a long series of traumatic situations and brutalization while being on the run and eventually develops into a skillful fighter)

Arya's story line is very close to the show. But the show went well beyond the point that the books covered.

Arya's story still has her in Braavos. The last bit of her story has her kill Raff the Sweetling.

In the show they also had this scene, but they replaced Raff with Meryn Trant.

This is roughly how far the books have thus gotten in Arya's story lines.

On 10/27/2022 at 12:27 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Arya's story line is very close to the show. But the show went well beyond the point that the books covered.

Arya's story still has her in Braavos. The last bit of her story has her kill Raff the Sweetling.

In the show they also had this scene, but they replaced Raff with Meryn Trant.

This is roughly how far the books have thus gotten in Arya's story lines.

This is pretty surprising. I thought the later Arya content was a show thing.  

Is it the same in the books (that Jaime is destined to

Spoiler

kill his sister?

)

Tyrion is such an idiot with Shae in book 2.  GRRM much have had some bad experiences with women, she is obviously pretending to love him, lol.

Show Shae seems to be different.

Shagga in the books has way more content.  It should have made it to the show, he's funny!

53 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

RIP Witcher!

2 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

That sucks. Cavill did a good job and I don't rate Liam as an actor.

I guess this means the Bond rumors might be true as well?

I've never seen Liam act.  It must suck being compared to one's brother who is far more successful.

My main issue is Liam's eyes are spaced so close together lol

So having read up on it, there are theories that Cavill is jumping ship because the showrunner is ignoring his wish to stay true to the spirit of the books (specifically about how Geralt acts and talks).

I am willing to give this some credence because he has mentioned this disagreement in a few interviews.

On the other hand, I don't think it's just down to Superman, I think he could structure his schedule that he could return to play the Man of Steel whilst still playing Geralt too.

So I think this is primarily about having secured another role that will take up a lot of his time. Which is why I also believe the James Bond rumors about him.

A shame, I was skeptical about him as Geralt but I thought he did a good job and it's clear he loves both the character and the Witcher universe. And Liam Hemsworth could not be a more underwhelming replacement.

39 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

So having read up on it, there are theories that Cavill is jumping ship because the showrunner is ignoring his wish to stay true to the spirit of the books (specifically about how Geralt acts and talks).

I am willing to give this some credence because he has mentioned this disagreement in a few interviews.

Henry C. signed on to the series without reading the books.  He was a fan of the Witcher 3.  I get the sense that he joined the show not fully knowing how the show would be written and made.  He may have believed that show would be like the Witcher 3 but instead it is very much its own thing, mostly disconnected from the books but influenced by it.  After Season 1 he revealed that he read some of the books but was still working on them. By Season 2 he was done and his co-stars said that he had read the books very seriously and had them with him for reference.  He was also trying to make the direction of the show more like the books.

And he had complained about it in interviews and social media.

15 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Wait... what? That's weird and this interview is very mysterious about the reasons why.

Was he pushed towards the exit or did he decide to stop playing the role by himself? :idk:

27 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Henry C. signed on to the series without reading the books.  He was a fan of the Witcher 3.  I get the sense that he joined the show not fully knowing how the show would be written and made.  He may have believed that show would be like the Witcher 3 but instead it is very much its own thing, mostly disconnected from the books but influenced by it.  After Season 1 he revealed that he read some of the books but was still working on them. By Season 2 he was done and his co-stars said that he had read the books very seriously and had them with him for reference.  He was also trying to make the direction of the show more like the books.

And he had complained about it in interviews and social media.

Oh, I see. So, you think he decided to end the role by himself cause he disagreed with Netflix?

Hmm, interesting.

6 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Oh, I see. So, you think he decided to end the role by himself cause he disagreed with Netflix?

Hmm, interesting.

I lean towards him quitting, not getting fired.  He is the biggest star of the show and a huge marketing asset, and was highly paid.  In general people did like him as Geralt.  Maybe season 3 was the last straw for him.  That's my guess.