Bellazon

The Official Academy Awards Thread

AnaBB Cover

Found the list rather predictable, except for Silver Linings [actors from SL] sort of 'taking Django's spot'

But I'm very very happy to see Bradley got an nod, he transformed from small rolls to this in maybe two years! :clap:

I thought SL was great, but I do however not think Jennifer Lawrence deserved best actress. She's just adorable and such a sweet person, but I feel the nod has more to do with her current popularity than her acting quality.

Can't judge on Django since I haven't seen it yet. I was surprised too, because it got both good critic-reviews and huge audience.

Haven't seen Argo, but it wasn't that much around on the internet etc, so I'm not surprised it got overlooked.

Speaking of surprises: Amour did really well, didn't see that one coming too.

I'm glad Life of Pi received so many nominations! :D I saw the movie yesterday and I would absolutely recommend it to everybody in a heartbeat! For me it should win best picture, it just an extraordinary experience of a movie, the effects, the music, the acting, the story, everything was on point. It is the best contender of the noms. That tiger now holds a place in my heart :hehe:

I also need to watch Lincoln when it gets released, I'm sure Daniel Day Lewis will win this one for sure, just watching the trailer made him so believable that I got sentimental and my eyes got teary :).

On 1/10/2013 at 2:51 PM, wijnboerinnetje said:

Can't judge on Django since I haven't seen it yet. I was surprised too, because it got both good critic-reviews and huge audience.

Haven't seen Argo, but it wasn't that much around on the internet etc, so I'm not surprised it got overlooked.

Speaking of surprises: Amour did really well, didn't see that one coming too.

Yeah it sucks the vote got split in django because waltz was moved to the best supporting category (which after seeing the movie really makes no sense ) But now, It should have been both dicaprio and waltz up there. Ashame :/

On 1/10/2013 at 5:32 PM, Cult Icon said:

I saw Django Unchained and I think it only deserves:

Best cinematography

None of the actors in it did an award worthy job, but none of them were bad either. :)

I thought all did beyond excellent (Waltz, Dicaprio, and Jackson) Some of their careers best performances in my opinion ;)

That is interesting... :)

I found the acting in Django Unchained to be competent and, at the same time, not particularly challenging for an actor. Waltz, Dicaprio, Jackson, and Foxx all did 'alright' for their roles but none of them really grabbed the character and worked with it to make it something special. Waltz' character was too much like Colonel Hans Landa (and, by extension himself). Dicaprio was compelling, but nothing noteworthy- he's done more challenging roles in the past but never won. Jackson creeped us out and intimidated us, but that's his career MO and his specialty..literally, Jackson has been typecasted as an aggressive individual. He was as creepy here as he was in 'Pulp Fiction'. :)

I saw too much of their native personalities in their performances. The challenge of a good actor is to completely 'disappear' into a role and make it his own. It must be a performance worth looking up to for insight and it must be innovative within its sphere of influence. This might be a bar that's too high for the Academy's usually politicized standards, but nevertheless.. the only modern A- list actors that have been able to do this many times is Daniel Day Lewis ....

I found the second piece of your statement above rather interesting, because I completely agree with you on actors needing to lose themselves in a role in order to be completely convincive. I'm not that familiar with Waltz, but am with Dicaprio ;), and him over-doing it so much is what- to me- makes his performances lack. When you look at his older movies (I recommend What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries, Andy ) he is the character. However, ever since Blood Diamond-ish he's obviously Leo giving a good acting performance indeed, but oh so obviously acting. UNTIL I saw the Django trailer. That's why it really got my attention.

I will yet have to see if that'll continue once I see Django myself, but since I simply can't ever disagree with you :p I'll definitely keep it in the back of my mind.

On 1/10/2013 at 7:37 PM, wijnboerinnetje said:

I found the second piece of your statement above rather interesting, because I completely agree with you on actors needing to lose themselves in a role in order to be completely convincive. I'm not that familiar with Waltz, but am with Dicaprio ;), and him over-doing it so much is what- to me- makes his performances lack. When you look at his older movies (I recommend What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries, Andy ) he is the character. However, ever since Blood Diamond-ish he's obviously Leo giving a good acting performance indeed, but oh so obviously acting. UNTIL I saw the Django trailer. That's why it really got my attention.

I will yet have to see if that'll continue once I see Django myself, but since I simply can't ever disagree with you :p I'll definitely keep it in the back of my mind.

See thats the thing, I know what you mean...thats why I loved this performance, because I thought he was SO this character! Thats what me and cult disagree on..He was so devishly nasty, and cruel and evil. :evil: :ninja:

^

Lindsey, Leo played the 'classic' sociopath consumed with 'the banality of evil'. What was evil or vulgar is now normal and acceptable. Coincidentally, it is a surprisingly common American attribute.. :nicole:

My favorite part of the film is the segment where Django/Dr. meet Candie & his associates, and then go on a 5-hour journey to the plantation. A lot of characterization and sights & sounds are accomplished here.

On 1/10/2013 at 7:37 PM, wijnboerinnetje said:

Never saw those movies, but I've heard of them.

What did you see in the trailer? :)

The last Dicaprio-driven films I saw were Aviator, Blood Diamond, and Inception. The first two, at least, were challenging roles and I think Leo did a 3/5, 2/5 job on them. He was okay in Inception. 3/5

Django? I'd say a solid 3.5/5, but it wasn't a difficult role.

Have you heard of 'the quick and the dead'? It was a mid-90s western with Russel Crowe, Sharon Stone, and Gene Hackman. Leo played 'the kid' and although it was a minor role, he did quite a good job with this.

:)...And when you do disagree, make sure that you don't forget to tell me at that very exact moment... :)

Also, Dvdscreeners are already available, based on the link I gave you. But I suppose that you're going to watch it in the theater. Have fun ^_^

• 1 month later...

BEST PICTURE

Amour
|

Argo
|

Beasts Of The Southern Wild
|

Django Unchained
|

Les Misérables
|

Life of Pi
|

Lincoln
|

Silver Linings Playbook
|

Zero Dark Thirty
|

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Bradley Cooper,
Silver Linings Playbook

Daniel Day-Lewis,
Lincoln

Hugh Jackman,
Les Misérables

Joaquin Phoenix,
The Master
|

Denzel Washington,
Flight
|

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Jessica Chastain,
Zero Dark Thirty

Jennifer Lawrence,
Silver Linings Playbook

Emmanuelle Riva,
Amour

Quvenzhané Wallis,
Beasts Of The Southern Wild

Naomi Watts,
The Impossible
|

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Alan Arkin,
Argo

Robert De Niro,
Silver Linings Playbook

Philip Seymour Hoffman,
The Master

Tommy Lee Jones,
Lincoln

Christoph Waltz,
Django Unchained

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Amy Adams,
The Master

Sally Field,
Lincoln

Anne Hathaway,
Les Misérables

Helen Hunt,
The Sessions
|

Jacki Weaver,
Silver Linings Playbook

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Brave
|

Frankenweenie
|

ParaNorman
|

The Pirates!Band of Misfits
|

Wreck-It Ralph
|

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

5 Broken Cameras
|

The Gatekeepers
watch | torrent

How To Survive A Plague
|

The Invisible War
|

Searching For Sugar Man
|

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

All thanks to flux-capacitors

Best Picture:

Amour

*Argo

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Django Unchained

Les Misérables

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor:

Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

*Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables

Joaquin Phoenix, The Master

Denzel Washington, Flight

Best Actress:

Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

*Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook

Emmanuelle Riva, Amour

Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Naomi Watts, The Impossible

Best Supporting Actor:

Alan Arkin, Argo

Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook

Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master

Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

*Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

Best Supporting Actress:

Amy Adams, The Master

Sally Field, Lincoln

*Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables

Helen Hunt, The Sessions

Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Directing:

Michael Haneke, Amour

Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild

*Ang Lee, Life of Pi

Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Adapted Screenplay:

*Chris Terrio, Argo

Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild

David Magee, Life of Pi

Tony Kushner, Lincoln

David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Original Screenplay:

Michael Haneke, Amour

*Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained

John Gatins, Flight

Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom

Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Documentary Feature:

5 Broken Cameras

The Gatekeepers

How to Survive a Plague

The Invisible War

*Searching for Sugar Man

Best Original Song:

"Before My Time" from Chasing Ice, music and lyrics by J. Ralph

"Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from TED, music by Walter Murphy, lyrics by Seth MacFarlane

"Pi's Lullaby" from Life of Pi, music by Mychael Danna, lyrics by Bombay Jayashri

*"Skyfall" from Skyfall, music and lyrics by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth

"Suddenly" from Les Misérables, music by Claude-Michel Schönberg, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

Best Original Score:

Anna Karenina

Argo

*Life of Pi

Lincoln

Skyfall

Best Animated Feature:

*Brave

Frankenweenie

Paranorman

The Pirates! Band of Misfits

Wreck-It Ralph

Best Cinematography:

Anna Karenina

Django Unchained

*Life of Pi

Lincoln

Skyfall

Best Costume Design:

*Anna Karenina

Les Misérables

Lincoln

Mirror Mirror

Snow White and the Huntsman

Best Documentary Short Subject:

*Inocente

Kings Point

Mondays at Racine

Open Heart

Redemption

Best Film Editing:

*Argo

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

Best Foreign Language Film:

*Amour (Austria)

Kon-Tiki (Norway)

No (Chile)

A Royal Affair (Denmark)

War Witch (Canada)

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:

Hitchcock

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

*Les Misérables

Best Production Design:

Anna Karenina

Les Misérables

Life of Pi

*Lincoln

Best Short Film (Animated):

Adam and Dog

Fresh Guacamole

Head Over Heels

Maggie Simpson in "The Longest Daycare"

*Paperman

Best Short Film (Live Action):

Asad

Buzkashi Boys

*Curfew

Death of a Shadow (Dood Van Een Schaduw)

Henry

Best Sound Editing:

Argo

Django Unchained

Life of Pi

*Skyfall (TIE)

*Zero Dark Thirty (TIE)

Best Sound Mixing:

Argo

*Les Misérables

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Skyfall

Best Visual Effects:

*Life of Pi

The Avengers

Prometheus

I haven't seen enough to judge ( I only saw Django in full ) but I have some of the nominees on file and have 'peeked a bit'...

Lincoln is probably deserving.

The Master has a lot of first rate acting (Phoenix, Hoffman, Adams), and I would take Hoffman over Waltz. Phoenix's politically incorrect performance is toe to toe with DDL. But playing Lincoln is more than a role; it's a responsibility and he did deliver on that.

I've heard that Anne Hathaway's victory was a fraud (her singing was sub-par, according to my conversation with an opera buff..) but Sally Field in Lincoln has received polarized opinions. I do not know of the rest.

The non-historical Argo won over the historical Lincoln, as well.

Playing the ‘Jaws’ theme to shift those giving unnecessarily long-winded speeches from the stage is probably the most entertaining thing the Academy has ever done. :laugh:

Apart from that, it was pretty predictable and overall, a bit of a snooze-fest. Didn't really get why 'Les Miserables' took best make-up and hairstyling either, Helena Bonham-Carter always looks like that. :pinch:

The William Shatner appearance was bizarre though, as was Kristen Stewart's apparently hazy recollection of why she was hobbling around on crutches.

I laughed at the Jaws music too, to bad some still wouldn't shut up.

I loved the Les Mis #, and when Jennifer fell and Jean and Hugh came to her aid.

I thought the Bond tribute was awful, they should have had Craig,Brosnon,Dalton and Connery there. Seth was funny enough, Jennifer nor Anne deserved a win IMHO.

Can we talk about Seth MacFarlene...I hate all the hate he is getting. All the reviews said his jokes were sexist, offensive and racist and pushed the boundaries too far etc. etc. I mean, what did you expect from a guy who is the creater of Family guy and Ted?? (both things I love BTW :heart:) Like what did they expect him to joke about? Thats him. thats his comedy. did the just hire him blindly?

I thought he was great, and the Oscar crowd is so sensitive!