Bellazon

The Most Beautiful Women

COP11

I think classic actresses are much more beautiful than any model or actress today. I think most of them today are plain. I see nothing special about Olga, Marloes or Edita. IMO they aren't attractive at all

Hmm, I feel the exact opposite :ninja:. There are several old hollywood actresses that I think were truly stunning, but for the most part they all literally look the same to me :| . I feel that there is a much greater diversity in looks that are seen as beautiful (today), which I prefer.

I think classic actresses are much more beautiful than any model or actress today. I think most of them today are plain. I see nothing special about Olga, Marloes or Edita. IMO they aren't attractive at all

100% agreed. I love the old classic look. They don't make them like they used to. They were women with natural beauty- gorgeous faces, real curves and not boyish thin figures.

Besides, anyone can look good with today's advanced technology (heavily edited, photo shopped pics and better make-up). Most models do not look half as good in real life without the make-up and photo shopped pics.

So true! They didn't have any of that back then. Women actually had to look amazing without all the editing they do now

They still had photo editing back then :ninja: .

Yes, but it was more difficult to do and many wouldn't do it. And it sure wasn't like today where every photo in a magazine is photo shopped and air brushed

True (I wish they didn't use so much photoshop :/), but they also used a lot of black and white photography (everyone looks better in black and white). They also had MUCH better styling, which makes a big difference. I don't know if you have ever seen, but I was shocked seeing how different the women looked irl compared to on the show when they're styled in the old hollywood/early 60s hair, makeup, and clothing.

Yes, but it was more difficult to do and many wouldn't do it. And it sure wasn't like today where every photo in a magazine is photo shopped and air brushed

True (I wish they didn't use so much photoshop :/), but they also used a lot of black and white photography (everyone looks better in black and white). They also had MUCH better styling, which makes a big difference. I don't know if you have ever seen, but I was shocked seeing how different the women looked irl compared to on the show when they're styled in the old hollywood/early 60s hair, makeup, and clothing.

I know, all this photo shopping sucks. And yes it was different. Not to mention I think they were much more glamourous back then

I think some of the high fashion models today are the some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, (and on par with many of the women from the past) and actresses today (in general) are considerably more common in appearance and aura compared to them. I find this unfortunate, as I'd love to see women like Edita, Freja, and Mayrna in film. But their stunning physical appearances seems to be unmatched with any known evidence of high cultural training and artistic talent in drama.

I do agree with the sentiment that there seems to be not a single working actress that can be considered a superstar today. The majority of actresses come across as very accessible women rather than drop dead stunning and mysterious. But that may be deliberate and a result of the current business models for the film industry. They don't seem to be recruiting their personnel from high fashion and other elite' sources but rather hiring women that can be related easily by mass audiences. However, a lot of old hollywood actresses were stunning but 'old hollywood' spanned for several decades so we remember only the 'creme' rather than what was average for the time.

Hmm, I feel the exact opposite :ninja:. There are several old hollywood actresses that I think were truly stunning, but for the most part they all literally look the same to me :| . I feel that there is a much greater diversity in looks that are seen as beautiful (today), which I prefer.

To each their own, but I do agree that there is more diversity today. Because let's face it- back then most of the stars were all white with a few minor exceptions.

11. Shay Mitchell

12. Yasmine Bleeth

13. Emanuela de Paula

14. Ana Beatriz Barros

15. Lisalla Montenegro

^Yeah, the industry has obviously completely changed to how it was, and how it sits within society. It's also worth pointing out though, that that humanity hasn't gotten any better or worse looking as a whole, over 70 years. It's completely to do with the paradigms of beauty of the time, including style and fashion and everything that goes with it. People were just as obsessed with beauty and glamour back then as they are now (arguable moreso in the context of film). I guarantee if they had access to the tools they have now, back then, they'd use it in a heartbeat. It's nothing to do with actresses or models 'needing' it.

It's also interesting NYBella when you mentioned 'natural beauty', when I find that old Hollywood look anything but. I mean there was so much emphasis put on that 'movie star' aesthetic, with all the makeup and hair styling and what not. It seems to be back then that there was even more of a chasm between the famous and the 'ordinary people', purely in terms of how they were presented and how they were viewed.

Wow, I missed the round in the same day :| ...but I guess I might as well throw in my two cents and that...

1. I don't really see the point in debating who had the most help to their looks (black and white and 'style' vs. photoshop). Although of course I don't agree that everyone looks better in black and white, I personally think everyone looks better in color and that you have to have an extra something to catch my attention in black and white, but that's just an issue of taste of course. But you can hide a pimple better on one hand, but then photoshop works miracles anyway, so it balances out. For every advantage to one side there is another that balances it out. One big plus for today as well is the photoshop with the bodies too of course. Now more than ever you see beer belies turned into six packs and flat butts turned into round ones and you also have more candids, so it all balances out.

2. As has been said, people aren't haven't gotten any more or less beautiful :idk: .

3. I guess if it makes both sides feel better (though I like both for other reasons, Edita persoality and style and Vivien movies), I honestly don't see one amazing feature between them :ninja: , but both better than the sum of the parts and nice in their own way :) .

4. I agree with stillinwonderland and NYBella about the diversity thing. That's definitely an edge of the present for me in that you see a much wider range of races represented compared to back then and to their credit they did have style of course.

11. Shay Mitchell

12.Yasmine Bleeth

13. Emanuela De Paula

14. Devon Aoki

15. Lisalla Montenegro

My two cents - you of yourse DID NOT forget about this beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder thing, did you? ;) people are always the same. That´s why the Earth actually spins around ;) there were always beautiful women out there and there always will be.

Alexa Chung

post-37737-0-1446075632-45561_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-48327_thumb.jpg

VS

Maggie Cheung

post-37737-0-1446075632-50258_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-5206_thumb.jpg

Freida Pinto

post-37737-0-1446075632-53274_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-54116_thumb.jpg

VS

Scarlett Johannsson

post-37737-0-1446075632-56819_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-59418_thumb.jpg

Leighton Meester

post-37737-0-1446075632-62625_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-64057_thumb.jpg

VS

Elizabeth Taylor

post-37737-0-1446075632-672_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-68293_thumb.jpg

Ann Miller

post-37737-0-1446075632-69565_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-71681_thumb.jpg

VS

Rose Byrne

post-37737-0-1446075632-73316_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-7523_thumb.jpg

Violet Budd

post-37737-0-1446075632-76254_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-77523_thumb.jpg

VS

Selita Ebanks

post-37737-0-1446075632-8112_thumb.jpg post-37737-0-1446075632-84373_thumb.jpg

Vote for the most beautiful woman

One or the other, no tie

I will do a new round tomorrow

For what it's worth, I don't personally think it's a big deal who's had the most help to look good, and don't particularly have a preference between the actresses of yesteryear and those of the present, but it might be worth mentioning that plenty of classic actresses did actually make use of artificial means to achieve their idea of beauty. From what I've read and heard in the past, Rita Hayworth underwent electrosis to move her hairline back (in order to make her look less hispanic), while Marilyn Monroe and others had crude forms of plastic surgery back in the day. Add that to the fact the you rarely saw any of those actresses at their worst (in paparazzi photos, celeb culture magazines or whatever else) and it's not too surprising that they may have been overly romanticised over the years.

What I will say about certain processes being more widespread today is that cosmetic surgeons only seem to have one template when altering features, thus absolutely everyone who gets veneers (for example) ends up with teeth like the ones Wesley Snipes wore in the "Blade" trilogy. :whistle:

P.S.

Alexa (predictably)

Frieda

Leighton

Rose

Violet

I can't believe I've missed two rounds of this already - sorry Cop! :pinch: