Bellazon

What does "supermodel" mean to you and who is one?

sweetandlow

I see everyone labelled a supermodel these days. They could be past their heyday and never really did anything spectacular in that heyday.. ie: only did lingerie or a few cheesy ads and they are called a "supermodel".

What is your definition of a TRUE supermodel?

Who would you consider a TRUE supermodel these days?

Why?

Who is your idea of a TRUE supermodel in the past??

Who do you see as becoming a TRUE supermodel in the future?

I think we will get lots of opinions and it will be interesting to see what those are. I hope we don't get a lot of answers just 'cuz the girl or even guy (are guys even called supermodels?) is their favorite.....Let's try to really think this one over. :wave::wave: IMHO, there is a huge difference between top model or famous model and SUPERMODEL.

Hello my dear! :heythere: Well, to get this ball rolling - I think that a "supermodel" has to transcend the realms of the model (i.e. the catwalk, and the editorial) and be a recognisable name outside of the industry...

For whatever reason, that late 80's period gave us the "supers" - but others flourished before them. Models like Twiggy, Jerry Hall, Grace Jones were names and faces on the scene during their 'heydays' too. True, the odd superstar boyfriend can help, but these were ladies who were very much in demand which led to such accoutrements! :hehe: They remained, first and foremost, models.

I think today, you can legitimately call Gisele a "supermodel". Her name is known, and she is recognised across the world. I'm not a North American, and I know next to nothing about Tom Brady - yet I still know her, completely extraneous to him. You could also posit the idea that Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum are more famous as reality TV figures, as opposed to modelling (after all VS and SI aren't universal brands) - whilst Gisele (Taxi aside post-11221-0-1446015131-26147_thumb.gif) is still held up as a model who 'models'. She was also critically successful, and the darling of the designers - as well as commercially viable, which maybe set her apart from those others... She could make that switch from 'men's magazine' to couture with equanimity. There are also plenty of big names within the industry - and girls 'of the season' - such as Karlie Kloss - but you'd be hard-pressed to find people outside that world, and forums such as ours, who would know them. They do know Gisele. She can almost be used as a lazy shorthand for a model when they refer to one in films or TV shows.

This is my experience of her anyway, and my 'humble' ( :ermm: ) opinion...

Hello my dear! :heythere: Well, to get this ball rolling - I think that a "supermodel" has to transcend the realms of the model (i.e. the catwalk, and the editorial) and be a recognisable name outside of the industry...

For whatever reason, that late 80's period gave us the "supers" - but others flourished before them. Models like Twiggy, Jerry Hall, Grace Jones were names and faces on the scene during their 'heydays' too. True, the odd superstar boyfriend can help, but these were ladies who were very much in demand which led to such accoutrements! :hehe: They remained, first and foremost, models.

I think today, you can legitimately call Gisele a "supermodel". Her name is known, and she is recognised across the world. I'm not a North American, and I know next to nothing about Tom Brady - yet I still know her, completely extraneous to him. You could also posit the idea that Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum are more famous as reality TV figures, as opposed to modelling (after all VS and SI aren't universal brands) - whilst Gisele (Taxi aside post-8834-0-1446015131-4739_thumb.gif) is still held up as a model who 'models'. She was also critically successful, and the darling of the designers - as well as commercially viable, which maybe set her apart from those others... She could make that switch from 'men's magazine' to couture with equanimity. There are also plenty of big names within the industry - and girls 'of the season' - such as Karlie Kloss - but you'd be hard-pressed to find people outside that world, and forums such as ours, who would know them. They do know Gisele. She can almost be used as a lazy shorthand for a model when they refer to one in films or TV shows.

Thanx for your support, my dear Baron. I've asked for the thread to be deleted so the BZ children can once again be happy. I aim to please. hahaha

But, I must say, your post was exactly what I had in mind.......no bias, no b.s., just a thoughtful answer.......xoxo

I'm pretty sure there's already a thread like this here... Try using the search tool ;)

Thank you so much for pointing out the "search tool". I did do that, however, and came up with something not at all like this thread but as I said in my PM to you, please delete this thread entirely.....thanx for your attention. You are, obviously, doing your Mod job, as you were asked to do, and I hope you will get around to the really big offenders of things BZ.....thanx a bunch. Peace out!

Hmmmm the term 'Supermodel' gets thrown around a lot here and there nowadays.

I say as of right now the top supermodels IMO are Gisele Bundchen, Karolina Kurkova, Miranda Kerr and Lara Stone.

KK, Miranda and Gisele all have had VS + HF. They have been in the public eye because of movies, relationships, pregnancies etc. But are mainly known for their modelling.

Miranda is Australia's biggest person out there right now. Sure there are celebs like Hugh, Cate and Sam. But she is everywhere and everyone kows who she is here. And more and more people around the world know who she is. To me right now she is a true Supermodel.

Lara might not have that world wide fame yet. But she is definately everywhere in the Fashion World. I see her as another definite Supermodel. And I do believe more and more people are beginning to know who she is. There are plenty of other amazing models. Like Adriana, Alessandra, Angela, Coco, Raquel etc but they still don't seem to have it all. Sure a lot of people know who Adriana and Alessandra are. But still you can ask most people and they won't know who they are. Maybe the same with KK. But you say Gisele or Miranda. People know who you are talking about instantly.

Naomi is still considered a Supermodel. I don't think she has ever really retired lol. Same for the top supermodels like Christy, Eva, Linda, Helena.

I think today, you can legitimately call Gisele a "supermodel". Her name is known, and she is recognised across the world. I'm not a North American, and I know next to nothing about Tom Brady - yet I still know her, completely extraneous to him. You could also posit the idea that Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum are more famous as reality TV figures, as opposed to modelling (after all VS and SI aren't universal brands) - whilst Gisele (Taxi aside post-8834-0-1446015131-72054_thumb.gif) is still held up as a model who 'models'. She was also critically successful, and the darling of the designers - as well as commercially viable, which maybe set her apart from those others... She could make that switch from 'men's magazine' to couture with equanimity. There are also plenty of big names within the industry - and girls 'of the season' - such as Karlie Kloss - but you'd be hard-pressed to find people outside that world, and forums such as ours, who would know them. They do know Gisele. She can almost be used as a lazy shorthand for a model when they refer to one in films or TV shows.

Thanx for your support, my dear Baron.

I must say, your post was exactly what I had in mind.......no bias, no b.s., just a thoughtful answer.......xoxo

Hmmmm the term 'Supermodel' gets thrown around a lot here and there nowadays.

I say as of right now the top supermodels IMO are Gisele Bundchen, Karolina Kurkova, Miranda Kerr and Lara Stone.

KK, Miranda and Gisele all have had VS + HF. They have been in the public eye because of movies, relationships, pregnancies etc. But are mainly known for their modelling.

Miranda is Australia's biggest person out there right now. Sure there are celebs like Hugh, Cate and Sam. But she is everywhere and everyone kows who she is here. And more and more people around the world know who she is. To me right now she is a true Supermodel.

Lara might not have that world wide fame yet. But she is definately everywhere in the Fashion World. I see her as another definite Supermodel. And I do believe more and more people are beginning to know who she is. There are plenty of other amazing models. Like Adriana, Alessandra, Angela, Coco, Raquel etc but they still don't seem to have it all. Sure a lot of people know who Adriana and Alessandra are. But still you can ask most people and they won't know who they are. Maybe the same with KK. But you say Gisele or Miranda. People know who you are talking about instantly.

Naomi is still considered a Supermodel. I don't think she has ever really retired lol. Same for the top supermodels like Christy, Eva, Linda, Helena.

Good post, Kevork!! :flower: I'm wondering if Anja would be considered an upcoming one and Behati, too, with all the work she has been doing or maybe even Edita. They aren't quite there yet but seems like they might be in the future, if they continue on the way they are...

What is your definition of a TRUE supermodel?

Someone whose fame transcends the world of fashion and moves into the mainstream. A person who the majority of people could recognize and name even though they know - next to - nothing about fashion and modeling.

Who would you consider a TRUE supermodel these days?

There are none.

Why?

Times have changed and that level of mainstream fame seems unattainable for models nowadays.

Who is your idea of a TRUE supermodel in the past??

Claudia Schiffer, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista - in order of prominence

Who do you see as becoming a TRUE supermodel in the future?

No one, just because I don't believe we'll never again get the perfect storm (emergence of a group of iconic models + the pop culture being just in the right place to embrace them) we had in the late eighties and early 90s.

I think its relative to the era. In the 80s and 90s it seems it was a name that went outside hardcore fashion fans to the general media, whereas now a 'supermodel' is for the most part a top model and some just use the term liberally for fashion models in general. I don't think there will be another collective era for it, but I think maybe there could be some individual. As has been said, Gisele was probably the last. Although Laetitia Casta is very well known outside of fashion too. Gisele was already a well known top model and then dated an actor on top of that and became known by more and more general people. But there there are others who I think were so close but yet so far...

Adriana - if she could relate better to an English speaking audience. Since English is the most shared or common language, relating to that audience is the best bet generally.

Alessandra - same

Marisa - if she were tall or had a much stronger fashion portfolio

Isabeli, Bianca, Daria, Raquel...well, the other 4 too - famous celeb boyfriendng

Look at how well known some models are who had average careers became with famous boyfriends, so in theory a top model who can relate to an English speaking audience ideally and did the same thing could in theory be the best 'hope' I guess? Of course I lose full interrest in such models (that become known as the trophy girlfriend or wife) generally, so its not a hope of mine, just throwing out ideas.

:)

You're right, the word "supermodel" (and also topmodel) is being thrown around (a.k.a. abused) a lot these days.

To me the definition of a supermodel is someone who manages to professionally unite the fashion industry with fame (as in: becoming a household name) and equally balance these two parts of her career.

Now, this is pretty much impossible these days, because:

a. The fashion industry alienates the mainstream

b. Celebrities have taken over a huge part of the modeling market.

I think the "supermodel" is past her prime and fading into the background. Even Gisele, who is one of the most famous working models isn't all that well known in the world. I took the liberty of asking around in my school. Surprise, out of 63 (of which 50 were girls) there were just a few that knew Gisele. Ofcourse this is not an objective representation, but I think it does say something about the industry.

Even the fashionistas in my class (who have heard about Gisele and models like Adriana Lima and Doutzen Kroes) aren't really familiar with names like Lara Stone (who is from our country!) and other up and coming ones. Models are becoming more anonymous. I've stumbled upon many spreads where I couldn't find the name of the model. Also, the excessive thinness that's in right now (nostalgia from the Twiggy era) probably doesn't do much for the image of a model.

I think you can still get big in the industry and in some way outside of it, but it will NEVER be what it once was when Cindy Crawford, Claudia Shiffer, etc. were the cream of the crop. That's what I think anyway.

My definition of a True Supermodel is someone who is equally famous/successful in both the High Fashion worlds and Commercial modeling worlds. (not for a few seasons,but many..) Someone who works the catwalk,Models for Vogue and GQ,Versace and Pepsi...A girl who has respect within the industry and works for the best brands,photographers and magazine editors year after year. A strictly high fashion model is not a Supermodel to me (lacks mainstream appeal) and a strictly commercial/famous model is not a Supermodel to me (lacks prestige/portfolio). A little bit of both (and some...) = Then we can talk.

I consider the true Supermodels the one namers...Cindy,Linda,Claudia,Naomi,Christy,etc...( I think if a model can be recognized with only one name, that is quite indicative of her status, IMO.) I would consider Kate + Gisele the Last ones' just for the fact that they are well known, AND their model portfolios are insane. (even surpassing the 80s/90s girls actually and at a younger age, and still going strong and still in the press constantly...) that has to stand for something ;)

I think the time is dead and don't see it getting better anytime soon when we have reality "stars" such as Kim K getting W covers...

and Madonna as the face of Dolce&Gabbana.

We are definitely in a new era for sure, but if I had to say; I think the VS Angels are our modern day versions of Supermodels, lol. Just on a much lesser scale. They are well known and they do HF from time to time...so even if their portfolios and prestige don't exactly match Linda Evangelista's, they deserve some credit. I think Miranda Kerr could be the next Supermodel if she keeps going strong as she has been...I can't even remember the last time I saw a model go so quickly from modeling for Cleo magazine to landing a Vogue Italia cover,Prada campaign and working with Steven Meisel all while being a VS angel at the same time...

I would say Natalia and Karolina..but Natalia is not famous enough and I don't think Karolina is either.

Tyra and Heidi as well but when you compare them to Linda or Naomi...

Oh, forgot to say, great posts everyone in general :) .

Linda Evangelista /end thread

:rofl:

:rofl:

I think the time is dead and don't see it getting better anytime soon when we have reality "stars" such as Kim K getting W covers...

and Madonna as the face of Dolce&Gabbana.

:rofl: Yeah :/ . Plus with more and more actresses and singers whose primary appeal is their looks they're infringing more and more on model territory...

I think Miranda Kerr could be the next Supermodel if she keeps going strong as she has been...I can't even remember the last time I saw a model go so quickly from modeling for Cleo magazine to landing a Vogue Italia cover,Prada campaign and working with Steven Meisel all while being a VS angel at the same time...

Yes exactly. That is why I see her at a different level. She also has a book out and her own skin care line. She is doing things and using her name as a brand. It might not be heaps compared to other models. But she is still working it :)

And do not get me started on the Actresses and Celebs getting everything. I appreciate it here and there but why do they have to be in everything now. I just don't get it. This is why there are no supermodels. Because all the major work is going to celebs. Look at Vogue US. Was Gisele the last model to get a cover on her own? If they put models on the cover they are only in group shots. Compared to before when models would be on every cover.

It's kind of why I appreciate the Vogue Italy and Paris more because they still have models on the covers a lot of the time. And companies like VS and Maybeline. They use models only.

I had that respect for SI until they gave Beyonce the cover that year and started doing Sports Wives.

The world needs more supermodels.

wouldn't it be great???? It really would. I love the whole supermodel era. It's like the Old Hollywood era of movie stars who got dressed up and went to supper clubs and really looked like something special and were something special like you see in the old movies and newsreels.

As far as the celebrities on the front of fashion magazines rather than models, don't EVEN get me started on that one. :p It irritates me no end. I wanna' see a total fashion mag, with fashion models, not the same stuff I'd see people I'd see in the tabloids.

I, again, think ALL the comments so far are soo good and really nail it! Finally, a grown up conversation! :laugh: :hugs: