Bellazon

Karolina Kurkova
Thumbnail

rosada

Well after reading everyone's opinions about this, I thought I'd just chime in.

I do understand both ends of the discussion (one being that some are being overcritical of a more womanly figure and the other being that her industry demands a certain shape maintenance to justify her earnings)....and considering these points, I've got to say that I'm on the fence because both points are valid in my opinion.

For me, the most important issue is the body confidence that I have read about a few times from other members. I cannot commend her more for accepting herself for who she is and injecting a little bit of 'humanity' into what is sometimes a distressing and fantasy-like industry. (Yes, as 'regulars', we do look in awe at these surreal and stunning specimens, but at the end of the day, this industry should be about creativity and escapism...taking it all too seriously leads to the unfortunate "idolism" of emancipated figures and materialism - and we all read about the physical and emotional toll of 'trying to fit in' in such a transient and random industry).

Karolina shows us that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there can never be one standard. At the beginning of her career she represented society's typical vision of a runway model...the rare few who are born with limbs for miles and not a squishy body part in sight. As she became to grow, she started filling out and now she represents a woman who is comfortable in her skin and who is embracing every curve and toned muscle and maintaining her inner health. We each look at these phases differently and most likely have our preference.

KK has said herself that she is not a doll and has emotions and self-doubt at times. Maybe she's going through a rough period in her life and that is how her body deals with stress, maybe it's hormones, maybe it's indulgence..who knows and frankly, who cares why. I just hope that this sort of press doesn't make her think she is anything but beautiful and unique.

Oops, that turned out longer than I meant!

Conclusion: KK is and will always be fabulous!

AMEN to that! :)

Like most of you, I saw the photos of KK in Brazil, and I have to say, I'm disappointed. Let's seperate, for a minute, our feelings for KK from our viewing of her as a professional model at work. She is easy for us to admire and take a personal interest in because she is beautiful inside and out. It's also easy to feel hurt or offended when she is criticized. But I am going to be a little critical for a moment, and just say she didn't come prepared for the show in Brazil. There are easily a dozen models who could have, "suited up" and looked better. Because she didn't come prepared, the conversation has become about her and not the clothes. I'm pretty sure that is not what she is paid for. Having said that, I feel certain she will look far better at her next show, because she is very professional and she has a very strong work ethic. So, the best thing we can do for KK as supporters is to encourage her to get back to her, "fighting weight" so she can continue to be successful in her chosen field of work.

just in quick reference to JennH's post ---- I'LL SHOUT AN AMEN! LAWD HAVE MERCY!! you betta preach, sista! haha. for real though. i know i've been a harsh one in this instance, but everything you posted there is dead-on accurate.

and RE: Samiot's post ... particularly this part:

The conversation has become about her and not the clothes. I'm pretty sure that is not what she is paid for.

i have to disagree. perhaps early in her career that statement would hold true ... but now she is Karolina Kurkova that is EXACTLY what she was paid for. to be a big name and draw a bunch of press to the Cia Maritima show. and while i certainly agree that they would have preferred that press be "Superhot Supermodel Karolina Kurkova makes a rare runway appearance in Sexy Cia Maritima show" v.s. "Karolina is fat!!!" ... i'm pretty sure that Cia Maritima hasn't had this much international press ...ever. so they ain't complaining.

I agree, Happy, about Cia Maritima likely not receiving this MUCH press before. From Karolina's perspective, though, how many runway shows do you think she can show up to looking like that before she gets passed over in favor of other better prepared models? Also, if showing up overweight is such great publicity, why don't all the models do it. Really, I don't think this is the KIND of publicity Cia wants, and I doubt other clothing designers are rushing to find the next out of shape supermodel they can hire for their shows.

^agreed. i believe it's one of those "one-trick-pony" examples. it's been done. they got a ton of press -- perhaps NOT the press they were hoping for, as i had said, but tons of press nonetheless. however, i absolutely agree that it's a one-off. Karolina will not be showing up at other shows like that, or else she will definitely get passed over. that's probably why she hasn't done any HF shows in ages -- she just doesn't fit into their size ZERO clothes.

If you research on ways of getting cellulite, and how you get it. There really is no getting rid of the stuff, believe me! It runs in families, you can't help it no matter how healthy you are or with what you eat. Yes eating certain foods can provoke the dimples, causing more. But it doesn't necessarily mean, you just all of a sudden got them because of the way you eat or exercise. I have seen little kids have cellulite and they are just as healthy as the next one. I know people are not used to seeing them on models because they are seen to look perfect, but I think this could be a new start of showing all women. It's ok to have flaws, and be curvy-Not stick thin! I don't want to argue or start fights just thought I would put my two sense in, kind of annoying watching people act like you are not a woman or just plain ugly if you have cellulite, which is totally not true.....Sorry for the rambling and randomness :laugh:

I thought I was done with reading about "Karolina in Brazil" but while looking at another site it was reported that Gisele was asked about Karolina and she responded with "no comment". Well, it was on TFS. I am not a fan of Gisele but I like the way she responded to that. Why ask her about that anyway? There has been enough press so just let it go and move forward. :wave:

very beautiful. Thanks for the pics.

Since I'm new I'll throw in my opinion. I absolutely agree with jennh. AMEN. I remember watching something about Karolina, and a guy was responding to people who have said that she was imperfect. And he said "If that's true, then imperfect is the new perfect." KK will always be great and have ton of fans who adore her.

Welcome JoeKnight!

I 100% concur...she is perfectly imperfect. There are a lot of "pretty" models, but being just pretty can be pretty boring if that makes any sense.

If you look at the past 'real' supermodels, some were interesting looking e.g. Linda and Claudia. Perhaps they they didn't have the biggest eyes or the tiniest button nose or a danty smile, but they had interesting lines and proportions to their faces which added that extra oomph IMO.

(On a similar note, they all looked more like women then the current little girl/boy 'look' that has been popular in the past few years)

Thanks for the pics...she has such a funky style and it temporarily made me forget about all the hoopla of the actual runway show!