Bellazon

The Well-Spoken Thread

one man band

I have a question. Why do British people still spell honor with a 'u' while Americans don't? Of course, that isn't the only word but I'm just curious. Also, why do you spell it theatre rather than theater? I actually prefer the former, but alas that is not popular around these parts of the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One would think that it was due to the American Civil War. The Americans probably changed the spelling in opposition to British rule. Americans still use the imperial system instead of the, more logical, metric system. I think that says enough!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what's hilarious? I really cannot handle the metric system. I am so used to the imperial system that even though the metric system is clearly easier, I still cannot do it. It is really quite sad and pathetic.

When English researchers (in the Middle Ages, I think) found the Latin word "dubito", meaning to doubt, they put a "u" in "doubt". Then they decided that other words, such as honour, valour etc., deserved the humble "u", so put many needless "u"s in the language. Then the Americans decided they would get rid off all these "u"s (I'm afraid I do not know when) since their pronuciation did not require all these "u"s, plus other silly spelling thing the English do ever so well. I remember a village near me when I was growing up called "Trotiscliffe", but was pronounced "Troz-lee". Don't ask me why.

And "theatre" is "theatre" because of french, I think. The french is the same as english for theatre.

I could, of course, be completely wrong, but i'm pretty sure that is correct.

I have a question. Why do British people still spell honor with a 'u' while Americans don't? Of course, that isn't the only word but I'm just curious. Also, why do you spell it theatre rather than theater? I actually prefer the former, but alas that is not popular around these parts of the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One would think that it was due to the American Civil War. The Americans probably changed the spelling in opposition to British rule. Americans still use the imperial system instead of the, more logical, metric system. I think that says enough!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Imperial system is British. Hence the British Empire - simliar etymology (Imperial - Empire). The Metric system is French. Maybe the Americans formed an irrational hatred towards the french. Lord knows why.

::Trafalgar::

When English researchers (in the Middle Ages, I think) found the Latin word "dubito", meaning to doubt, they put a "u" in "doubt". Then they decided that other words, such as honour, valour etc., deserved the humble "u", so put many needless "u"s in the language. Then the Americans decided they would get rid off all these "u"s (I'm afraid I do not know when) since their pronuciation did not require all these "u"s, plus other silly spelling thing the English do ever so well. I remember a village near me when I was growing up called "Trotiscliffe", but was pronounced "Troz-lee". Don't ask me why.

And "theatre" is "theatre" because of french, I think. The french is the same as english for theatre.

I could, of course, be completely wrong, but i'm pretty sure that is correct.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please attend to the grammar and spelling problems in bold. Thank you.

You may talk of anything you want, as long as it isn't vulgar. In general, verbal foreplay will be the main order of the day. But no further mention of Seinfield. The most depressingly unfunny program ever to be created.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You give me the impression that you're in charge. Shall I call you my Lord?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what's hilarious? I really cannot handle the metric system. I am so used to the imperial system that even though the metric system is clearly easier, I still cannot do it. It is really quite sad and pathetic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the problem with most Americans though. What's easier than doing maths with base 10 something or rather... I forget the name of the concept I am supposed to be talking about

Lady Chicken, you may call me lord, although you may prefer to call me Sir Band, as equality is a hallowed virtue in this thread. Any feudalistic tendancies are not in the spirit of this thread.

Sir Red, do not trouble yourself with such matters. Trouble yourself, instead, with the rather worrying state of Australian cricket.

And Ms. Sin, as far as grammatical nick-picking goes, your talent seems to be swelling. However, such subtle mistakes are only for your own enjoyment. We English must at least try to maintain the commonly held perception that we are but human.

Is there possibly a punishment for mistakes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. Cast your lovely eyes but a few pages previous to this and you will find myself rebuking myself most sternly.

And I'm afraid all American comedies are weak at best. Friends is horrific. British comedies are far superior. Have any of you fine fellows seen "Extras" yet? That, ladies and gentlemen, is televisual entertainment at its best.

I have a question. Why do British people still spell honor with a 'u' while Americans don't?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

16.7% more value in European honour than in American. And also, as mentioned, it's French spelling and British English tends to be a semi-French language: the superfluous letters - which, of course, also serve to make the words look prettier; the silent h; and, last but not least, the Beatles melody "Michelle, ma belle".

We English must at least try to maintain the commonly held perception that we are but human.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that why all Englishman are so ugly? haha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Far be it from me to base the looks of the Australian cricket team as the general attractiveness of Australia as a whole, but Australians have an uncanny knack of being cock-eyed, portly, high-lighted and over boisterous. Any further mention of the English lack of superstar looks will be further tamed with mentions regarding the origin of the Australian people.