Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

18 hours ago, Tania8222 said:

Do you like It?

I respect Crime and Punishment and the genius required to write it (5 out of 5 book) but I like Brothers Karamazov a lot more. 

Crime and Punishment is not a pleasant audiobook experience at all, the subject matter is miserable.

3 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I respect Crime and Punishment and the genius required to write it (5 out of 5 book) but I like Brothers Karamazov a lot more. 

Crime and Punishment is not a pleasant audiobook experience at all, the subject matter is miserable.

I am sure about It, but a book you can learn a lot

14 hours ago, Tania8222 said:

I am sure about It, but a book you can learn a lot

The author of these novels is a sort of psychological genius, in particular in his understanding of suffering and the 'Russian soul'.  If he wasn't a writer he could have been a great psychologist.

It is evident to me that he is one of those people that have an extremely intense and detailed memory of human experience.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - Wikipedia

4 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

The author of these novels is a sort of psychological genius, in particular in his understanding of suffering and the 'Russian soul'.  If he wasn't a writer he could have been a great psychologist.

It is evident to me that he is one of those people that have an extremely intense and detailed memory of human experience.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - Wikipedia

Well, Psychology is relative. Not all people have same theory, is not about only positive or educación Psychology, or play like humanos were dogs or toys... Writers can teach a lot of things or possibilities without living It, or, in a good way, show or motivate us to live what we really want or new dreams we can choose yo do. 

On 5/8/2023 at 1:57 PM, Tania8222 said:

Well, Psychology is relative. Not all people have same theory, is not about only positive or educación Psychology, or play like humanos were dogs or toys... Writers can teach a lot of things or possibilities without living It, or, in a good way, show or motivate us to live what we really want or new dreams we can choose yo do. 

I finished Crime and Punishment.  It is one of the top 5 most miserable & sad media (books, movies) that I've ever finished.  I think it's semi-autobiographical and heavily inspired by Dostoevsky personal anguish of years of Siberian exile and imprisonment.  I think it's an accurate depiction of extreme depression.

My main issue with works like this is that while they are great achievements in literature, I think the one-note negatively should turn off at least a portion of the readers who don't enjoy things like this. 

The story, is extremely negative and sad and this continues until almost the last page, where Dostoevsky writes a pinch of hope at the end.  I think overall his moral teaching of Christian penitence is so harsh as to be disagreeable.  I think however, most people who finished the book may not feel the same way.

As a whole D is a great psychological writer and supremely talented, in particular since he was not a trained psychologist.  I think he may have been what is now classified as a 'highly sensitive person' .  His memory and attention to detail to emotional experience is simply not average.

I started Anna Karenina and Tolstoy's work so far as nowhere near the psychological depth as D.

7 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I finished Crime and Punishment.  It is one of the top 5 most miserable & sad media (books, movies) that I've ever finished.  I think it's semi-autobiographical and heavily inspired by Dostoevsky personal anguish of years of Siberian exile and imprisonment.  I think it's an accurate depiction of extreme depression.

My main issue with works like this is that while they are great achievements in literature, I think the one-note negatively should turn off at least a portion of the readers who don't enjoy things like this. 

The story, is extremely negative and sad and this continues until almost the last page, where Dostoevsky writes a pinch of hope at the end.  I think overall his moral teaching of Christian penitence is so harsh as to be disagreeable.  I think however, most people who finished the book may not feel the same way.

I hope read It, but now I still needing positive vibes. Poor, too ill people and misery in my born city is big not, It seems occidental world is losing It. 

On 5/12/2023 at 8:12 AM, Tania8222 said:

I hope read It, but now I still needing positive vibes. Poor, too ill people and misery in my born city is big not, It seems occidental world is losing It. 

Between the two books I would recommend Brothers Karamazov.  It is humorous, sad, but also bittersweet.  But definitely not light reading.

I am starting to suspect that the 'slavicness' of the Witcher novels & games also refer to deep psychological traits of Russian literature and film.

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

Anna Karenina is so far better than Pride & Prejudice.

I remember when this film came out:  My friend from St. Petersburg said that it was a phony western distortion of the story in the novel lol.

The film I Saw was boring. The story sounds interesting, but the movie was not. Do you recommend me the book? Or which movie IS the BEST?

On 5/16/2023 at 2:44 PM, Tania8222 said:

The film I Saw was boring. The story sounds interesting, but the movie was not. Do you recommend me the book? Or which movie IS the BEST?

I am referring to the book.  I withdraw my comment about Pride & Prejudice.  They are different stories and about different people.  

Anna Karenina however, is much more of a grand, epic romance /tragedy and it really draws the reader into the world of Russian nobility. So far it is a masterpiece of writing.  

Pride and Prejudice on the other hand (both film and book) draws the reader into the world of British gentry.

I haven't seen the film. TBH it seems over stylized as to be unreal.

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I am referring to the book.  I withdraw my comment about Pride & Prejudice.  They are different stories and about different people.  

Anna Karenina however, is much more of a grand, epic romance /tragedy and it really draws the reader into the world of Russian nobility. So far it is a masterpiece of writing.  

Pride and Prejudice on the other hand (both film and book) draws the reader into the world of British gentry.

I haven't seen the film. TBH it seems over stylized as to be unreal.

I watched the "Anna Karenina" Keirs K. Film and I didn t like. Bad and boring interpretation. Maybe another film It could be ok.

Yes, the old European literature are good. The stories are always a drama, maybe religion and The lifestyle were big influencies.

11 hours ago, Tania8222 said:

I watched the "Anna Karenina" Keirs K. Film and I didn t like. Bad and boring interpretation. Maybe another film It could be ok.

Yes, the old European literature are good. The stories are always a drama, maybe religion and The lifestyle were big influencies.

This version looks a lot better (haven't watched it yet).  Of course there also Russian films/shows about the novel :

Another issue I have with the Joe Wright movie with Keira K is the costumes.  It just looks...off.  Like it's a mixture of American 1920s stuff (Great Gatsby) with Russian stuff.  

28 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

This version looks a lot better (haven't watched it yet).  Of course there also Russian films/shows about the novel :

Another issue I have with the Joe Wright movie with Keira K is the costumes.  It just looks...off.  Like it's a mixture of American 1920s stuff (Great Gatsby) with Russian stuff.  

It is not possible to watch, have you got any other link? Or the name of actors?

To me, that interpretation was a lot of "oh" all time and too drama, in passion moments too

10 hours ago, Tania8222 said:

It is not possible to watch, have you got any other link? Or the name of actors?

To me, that interpretation was a lot of "oh" all time and too drama, in passion moments too

Oh, no I don't.  That link has the entire English-language miniseries 3 1/2 hrs.

It's this.  The lead actress looks more like the character imho than Keira. 

MV5BOThlM2M3N2MtN2FjYy00MzUzLTkzNjQtNTlm

Anna Karenina (TV Mini Series 2013–2018) - IMDb

This is one of the Russian miniseres:

ANNA KARENINA: VRONSKY'S STORY - YouTube