Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

20 minutes ago, jkjk said:

After Star Trek and Star Wars, what's the next franchise that will ask Abrams to reinvigorate it. He's a reinvigorating expert.

21 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

I like Abrams. He's a good director, calm and great person overall.

That he is. :chicken:

Maybe Indiana Jones........ KOTCS was bad. :chicken:

8 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

What I feel is missing the lack of a "sucker punch/emotional impact" with all these comic book/sci fi films.  BB and TDK blew me away, and there were parts of the mediocre Man of Steel that were good.

That's what Rian Johnson is for.

The first 20 minutes of Man of Steel when they're on Krypton was awesome.

16 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

'What The Health' documentary feature on Netflix is making me so anxious about what I eat :/  

I constantly assume I am eating awful things. We eat so much worse than our grandparents.

12 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

What I feel is missing the lack of a "sucker punch/emotional impact" with all these comic book/sci fi films.  BB and TDK blew me away, and there were parts of the mediocre Man of Steel that were good.

I may have posted this in the Infinity Wars thread, but I agree with the need for an emotional impact. I think they need to kill an important character in one of the Infinity movies. If you never feel they are really at risk, it's hard to take the danger seriously. I know they have killed some secondary characters, but it needs to happen with a big one (I thought it was going to happen with Hawkeye in Ultron).

1 minute ago, Stromboli1 said:

Maybe Indiana Jones........ KOTCS was bad. :chicken:

That would be a good choice. That was not a good movie. I doubt they will make an Indiana Jones movie without Spielberg, though.

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

That would be a good choice. That was not a good movie. I doubt they will make an Indiana Jones movie without Spielberg, though.

Spielberg has been hit or miss for me for the last 15 years.

4 hours ago, jkjk said:

I may have posted this in the Infinity Wars thread, but I agree with the need for an emotional impact. I think they need to kill an important character in one of the Infinity movies. If you never feel they are really at risk, it's hard to take the danger seriously. I know they have killed some secondary characters, but it needs to happen with a big one (I thought it was going to happen with Hawkeye in Ultron).

I feel little connection or memory with any of the Marvel actors or characters I've seen.  I think it has to do with the sanitized/formulaic nature of the films.

Oh I forgot, 300 was pretty good and very similar to the comic.

4 minutes ago, elfstone said:

DUNKIRK!!! Has anyone watched it yet? :chicken:

I'm going to watch it when it comes online (lol).  I heard from someone who saw the screener that it was very tense and well made but cold (in terms of characters).  Not one of the better Nolan films.  He compared it to Interstellar.  In terms of tense/cold, it sounds a bit like Fury Road but Fury Road had amazing visuals..

I want to watch it too, but for different reasons. My main motivation is that I want to see how Nolan explores the concept of War through the cinematic lens. :chicken:

Having watched TDK series its clear to me where he stands on the political question at least(ie very much to the right of Reagan/Thatcher)

'Instamodels, whatever that is!' Alex Perry says social media personalities have no place on the catwalk and calls out the Kardashians for making cosmetic surgery mainstream

By Kara Byers For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 11:14 EDT, 19 July 2017 | Updated: 17:58 EDT, 19 July 2017

Fans of Alex Perry would be accustomed to seeing the star share selfies and images of his ripped frame on Instagram.

But on Wednesday, the fashion designer said that models made famous by the filter-loving social media platform had no place on the catwalk. 

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph at the Myer model casting in Bondi, Sydney,  the 54-year-old said that the measure of a good model came down to their natural beauty.

The Australia's Next top Model judge said that the glamorisation of plastic surgery has had a negative effect on modelling. 

'A really good model has just won the genetic lottery,' he told the newspaper.

He pointed out that pop culture was different to fashion and called out the Kardashians for making surgical enhancement popular. 

The Kardashians shape, sculpt, inject, all that sort of thing,' he said. 

Alex said he didn't have a problem with people wearing makeup for confidence but that: 'Models [have to be] born with it. That's the realness.'

It's not the first time the Sydney local has criticised Instagram models. 

Last year he told Daily Mail Australia he thought branded Instagram modelling as 'appalling.' 

'I can take like 500 photos of myself and filter them and face tune them and I can pick out one that I'm going to look really good in... but 'I'm not a model,' he explained.

Perry said that while these girls rely on filters and other digital features to look picture perfect, the 'old school' scenario involves a photographer and lighting, and 'it's like you are photogenic or you're not'.

'It's not these weird filters on Snapchat and all of a sudden it just hazes over everything and you go "Oh I look really good here",' he added.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4711106/Alex-Perry-says-Instamodels-no-place-catwalk.html

Alex Perry: Kim Kardashian look doesn’t belong on the runway

Alison Stephenson, The Daily Telegraph

July 19, 2017 9:00am

IF YOU want a shot at being a model, designer Alex Perry has some advice: step away from the lip fillers and stop the injectables.

Speaking at the Myer Spring 17 model casting yesterday at Myer Bondi Junction, the Australia’s Next Top Model judge said the “Kardashian effect” was changing young women’s concept of beauty.

“A really good model has just won the genetic lottery and popped out like that,” Perry said. “But in pop culture it’s different because the Kardashians shape, sculpt, inject, all that sort of thing.

“Instamodels — whatever that is — they whack their filters on, they get their lips done and they go ‘oh look I’m really beautiful’, but that’s on Instagram, that’s not like when (Brazilian supermodel) Gisele walks past you and she was just born that way, there’s something naturally incredibly beautiful about that.”

Perry said he didn’t encounter any models at yesterday’s Myer casting who fit the “Insta-model” bill because there was “an integrity in the modelling industry” that dictates that girls need to look natural.

“When we do the auditions for Top Model, it’s like ‘take your make-up off’ and the girls are horrified’. They’re playing dress-ups. Popular culture tells them to pack it on.

“In real life, if you need to make yourself feel great and it’s about your confidence, I don’t have a problem with that, but models (have to be) born with it. That’s the realness.

“You should admire it rather than get bent out of shape if you don’t look like it.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/alex-perry-has-some-advice-for-girls-who-want-to-be-models-stay-away-from-lip-fillers-and-plastic-surgery/news-story/0ad5f682927d709fce2a90a0fef8deba

I still can't tell the difference between the low key legit models & instamodels due to the lines being blurred by some instamodels being signed by modeling agencies. :idk:

2 minutes ago, elfstone said:

I want to watch it too, but for different reasons. My main motivation is that I want to see how Nolan explores the concept of War through the cinematic lens. :chicken:

Having watched TDK series its clear to me where he stands on the political question at least(ie very much to the right of Reagan/Thatcher)

I don't think that war movies should have contemporary politics shoved into them.  I think that = left wing journalists shove it into TDK just to create eyeballs and buzz

I see not much political about Nolan's films except for TDKR adopting some influence from the financial crisis and Occupy wall street. 

14 hours ago, gotportugal said:

I HATE HATE HATE people that abandon animals or worse. They could die and I wouldn't care.:angry::angry::angry:

I just got my neighbor nailed on animal cruelty x2. She has two dogs that are tied up with a standard size leash on her porch in the sun with no water and she disappears for a week at a time leaving the animals to slowly die in the heat.. It's been around 33.8 to  35.5c daily and to have very little or no water, no food, no real shade to try and stay cool while only being able to move a foot or two in one direction... fuck that!..... I couldn't do it anymore, I couldn't sit back and watch her dogs suffer. I called the Humane Society in tears and within 10 minutes an officer arrived and took the dogs, then the police showed and all hell broke loose.  I had fun watching the shit show and knowing her animals are going to be okay. I've never been so pleased!

39 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I think he's been mediocre.  The last strong films he made was Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report and AI.

He's been basically a movie producer the last 30 years, his producer credits triple his directing credits.

11 minutes ago, Prettyphile said:

I just got my neighbor nailed on animal cruelty x2. She has two dogs that are tied up with a standard size leash on her porch in the sun with no water and she disappears for a week at a time leaving the animals to slowly die in the heat.. It's been around 33.8 to  35.5c daily and to have very little or no water, no food, no real shade to try and stay cool while only being able to move a foot or two in one direction... fuck that!..... I couldn't do it anymore, I couldn't sit back and watch her dogs suffer. I called the Humane Society in tears and within 10 minutes an officer arrived and took the dogs, then the police showed and all hell broke loose.  I had fun watching the shit show and knowing her animals are going to be okay. I've never been so pleased!

:thumbsup:

Pretty I'm glad you finally did it! You've mentioned it a few times happy you finally did it to help out those poor puppers :sad: Hopefully now they will get a proper home and someone who really cares about them

There are a lot of dogs in the country out here that get left outside all day/are outside only dogs, but almost every single one has a deck to go under, some form of shade (trees, a shed, deck as mentioned etc...) Water and some sort of food available at all times due to them being outdoor/country dogs and they just roam free do whatever but are never under conditions as you mentioned Pretty.

2 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

I still can't tell the difference between the low key legit models & instamodels due to the lines being blurred by some instamodels being signed by modeling agencies. :idk:

LOL, it's funny that she compares them to Gisele, when she had surgeries too. I love her, but still... 

I am not a fan of the Kardashians, but this woman talks very stupidly. 

8 hours ago, Prettyphile said:

I love hearing revenge stories like these. The next dog I'll have will definitely be adopted, but I still haven't fully realized that my current dog is probably gonna die in a few years. :/ 

6 hours ago, Lyla said:

LOL, it's funny that she compares them to Gisele, when she had surgeries too. I love her, but still... 

I am not a fan of the Kardashians, but this woman talks very stupidly. 

I get what you're saying, also Alex is a guy.