Bellazon

Fantasy

I see no reason why it should not win big

How about... because even people who enjoyed the movie admit it's generic and predictable? Or because eight out the other nine Best Picture nominees are rated higher on Rotten Tomatoes, including a few fantastic movies like The Hurt Locker and Up at 97% or higher? Or because the Oscars shouldn't sell its integrity to reverse the trend of declining ratings by catering to the film that brought in the most money?

I totally agree. The Oscars should go to movies which are more than just entertaining... (except for categories such as Best Special effects, of course)

And movies like The Hurt Locker are more than entertaining? Movies like Avatar are the reason why people go to the movies in the first place. You watch movies(like Avatar) to get entertained; that's the purpose of movies. If I want to think about the war I watch the news. Now don't get me wrong, I liked the other movies a lot. But after seeing The Hurt Locker, I had no intention to see it again(and still don't).

But who cares, people like the movie or they don't. Winning oscars doesn't make a movie any better.

I heard today a rumor that there will be a second part for avatr :| please tell me it's not true - everything get's spoiled when there's a second part :pinch:

Here's another one for you: there will also be a third one. But you have to realise that Cameron is like the Master of Sequels :wave: .

:evil:

I heard today a rumor that there will be a second part for avatr strong%3Eression.gif please tell me it's not true - everything get's spoiled when there's a second part :pinch:

Here's another one for you: there will also be a third one. But you have to realise that Cameron is like the Master of Sequels :wave: .

Since they've made so much money this time out, they'll be keen to do a sequel or two. That being said, matching the success of the first one would be an uphill struggle. Plenty of people will have gone to see it out of curiosity and for the 3D experience. :unsure:

I heard today a rumor that there will be a second part for avatr :| please tell me it's not true - everything get's spoiled when there's a second part :pinch:

yeah indeed, infact he probably could do a sequel for Titanic and make it work :p Wanna see this film soon. Just hope my expectations don't spoil it :/

• 2 months later...
I totally agree. The Oscars should go to movies which are more than just entertaining... (except for categories such as Best Special effects, of course)

And movies like The Hurt Locker are more than entertaining? Movies like Avatar are the reason why people go to the movies in the first place. You watch movies(like Avatar) to get entertained; that's the purpose of movies. If I want to think about the war I watch the news. Now don't get me wrong, I liked the other movies a lot. But after seeing The Hurt Locker, I had no intention to see it again(and still don't).

But who cares, people like the movie or they don't. Winning oscars doesn't make a movie any better.

Mbinebri said it in her comment: "because the Oscars shouldn't sell its integrity to reverse the trend of declining ratings by catering to the film that brought in the most money?"

I don't say "Stop enjoying Avatar, it's shit!" I just say that IMO there are other criteria's why a movie should win such an important award. It's not just about being entertaining and making the most money...

And just for the records, I don't have the intention to see Avatar a second time. So if that's your criteria...

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it and found it quite underwhelming in terms of story, i never even warmed to the lead Sam Worthington whose accent was like.. kinda muddled, trying to sound american but failing to stifle the australian he ended up sounding irish lol

such gorgeous visuals though, really enjoyable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Avatar was the only movie I've seen this year. It was fine. A lot of super-cheese. I would have preferred if the humans won but mass-market agendas put an end to that possibility. I didn't like the characters very much- Jake, in particular, was totally unlikeable. He was a characterless, half-educated worm. Weaver played an obnoxious, ill-informed lefty. The Commander was a human animal. N was just..yeah. Anyway, they're all pretty cookie-cutter. :bellazon:

• 5 months later...

I Just watch it and found it quite underwhelming in terms of story or movie, i never even warmed to the lead Sam Worthington whose accent was like.. kinda muddled, trying to sound american but failing to stifle the australian he ended up sounding irish lol

such gorgeous visuals though, really enjoyable also that is good for sharing also..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is just my opinion, but I didn't think "Avatar" was as great as everyone thinks it is. Everything, except the special effects of course, was just good. The overall message was great, though. I don't know how to explain myself, I just didn't enjoy watching the film all that much. It actually bored me.

• 1 month later...