Bellazon

Yasmeen Ghauri
Thumbnail

diplostabus

Just did the arithmetic recently.  Do you realize that Yasmeen quit modeling when she was only twenty-six???  I can't believe it.  God, I wished she had kept going a few years longer.  At least through the rest of her twenties, if not longer.  Age-wise, stopping when she did would be as if Cindy Crawford stopped in 1992.

I guess she left us all still hungry, which isn't a bad way to leave.

• 1 month later...

Just did the arithmetic recently.  Do you realize that Yasmeen quit modeling when she was only twenty-six???  I can't believe it.  God, I wished she had kept going a few years longer.  At least through the rest of her twenties, if not longer.  Age-wise, stopping when she did would be as if Cindy Crawford stopped in 1992.

I guess she left us all still hungry, which isn't a bad way to leave.

agreed, what a pity she decided to quit for good so abruptely....the fact that she's still talked about to this day speaks volumes on the mark she's left in so relatively little time

I am sure she was older than 26 when she retired...and the german elle editorial from 1993 posted a few posts before is with another model, not Yasmeen.

she's from 1971, she appeared on VS catalogues up until 1999, she was 28 by then.....not sure if she did something in 2000 as well.....and also, i thought the same thing when i saw that Elle spread....i was like "she kinda looks like Yasmeen, mainly in the first pic....but not quite!"

The bio below from NY mag seems quite authoritative.  It lists her as retiring in 1997, but that may have meant only from runway.  I found VS covers of her in 1998 below, though note one of them is a "sale" cover, and the pics in this are probably all going to re-runs.  

Of course, nothing would have stopped them from using some previous year's pic of Yasmeen, but I figure for a regular cover that would be less likely, and even for inside photos, they like to keep the models and the "look" current to what they are selling now.

post-20341-0-03678400-1435679398_thumb.jpost-20341-0-93647100-1435679396_thumb.j

http://nymag.com/fashion/models/yghauri/yasmeenghauri/

Yes, they use lots of older pics in vs catalogs, so some could be even a few years old. I think her last jobs were for german catalogs and vs...she did mostly money jobs at the end. I guess modeling was not her passion, but just a job. However she did it in such brilliant way and has produced millions of great images all together...we can not complain...but i dream of seeing her back, which will never happen;(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The impression I got from her interviews is that she was smart enough to know that modeling doesn't last forever, and had a plan for the rest of her life that she followed. Good for her. I think she got married right around the time she retired from modeling, too, so it was probably just a job that she put behind her without much regret once she moved on with her life.

The shots we see are pretty glamorous, but a lot of the job of being a model is monotonous and dull: getting fitted for the clothes, getting makeup put on, prep work for the shot, etc. The pay is excellent, and there is a certain lifestyle that comes with it, but there's much not to like about the job too. Yasmeen also said that her family, especially her dad (an imam), wasn't thrilled with her decision to go into modeling; that didn't stop her, but leaving it behind probably removed a source of tension between them, as well.