Bellazon

Yasmeen Ghauri
Thumbnail

diplostabus

I think if she was concerned about minimizing tension with her father, she wouldn't have adopted the incredibly sexy style that we all know and love.  Or done shots like the ones below, lol. I've always interpreted that as an escape from, and deliberate defiance of, her conservative upbringing.

I agree that she stopped because she was done with it.  I've read that she was getting fewer bookings towards the end because she was regarded as too expensive or whatever, but I think mainly it was because she was just done.  She's not one of those who attempted to make their career practically institutional, as Cindy does.  But then she was never truly a household name, at least not in the US.  I don't know about Canada; I hope they were deservedly proud of her!

post-20341-0-91380100-1440348069_thumb.jpost-20341-0-57005100-1440348071_thumb.j

^ all the supers started to get fewer bookings by the late 90's because they were regarded ad too expensive, not only Yasmeen....some of them went along with it, others decided it was not worth it anymore...Gianni Versace invented the supers, and that golden period pretty much ended around the time of his death....Naomi was the one that kept going no stop, i guess also because she was always very outspoken about the lack of black models on the runway and she didn't want to give up on that, the others all either slowed it down a lot or totally disappeared, like Yasmeen

here Yasmeen in Gianni Versace, spring-summer 1995

post-21972-0-31300800-1440432251_thumb.j

^ all the supers started to get fewer bookings by the late 90's because they were regarded ad too expensive, not only Yasmeen....some of them went along with it, others decided it was not worth it anymore...Gianni Versace invented the supers, and that golden period pretty much ended around the time of his death....Naomi was the one that kept going no stop, i guess also because she was always very outspoken about the lack of black models on the runway and she didn't want to give up on that, the others all either slowed it down a lot or totally disappeared, like Yasmeen

attachicon.gifa8bdf157c42858c1cb20a5de4ab7462d.jpg

A breathtakingly lovely shot, thanks!  You're probably right about Versace; I think Herb Ritts' passing was another factor.  I think of his photography and I think of the word "supermodel".  Though there were others of course.  I just don't think that any new girls came along that could fill the shoes of the "stepladder girls", as I call them, after that famous group shot.

attachicon.gifa8bdf157c42858c1cb20a5de4ab7462d.jpg

A breathtakingly lovely shot, thanks!  You're probably right about Versace; I think Herb Ritts' passing was another factor.  I think of his photography and I think of the word "supermodel".  Though there were others of course.  I just don't think that any new girls came along that could fill the shoes of the "stepladder girls", as I call them, after that famous group shot.

indeed, there were a number of other factors at play as well...Herb Ritts & Peter Lindbergh with those group shots, George Michael, Guns'n Roses, Chris Isaak, Michael jackson putting them in their music videos and so on and so forth, but Gianni Versace was the main man at play responsible for that, as you can here from the words of Naomi Campbell herself in this video....she knows better ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Second from the left is just stunning.  Those beautiful winglike shoulder blades she had.    And that outfit!  I just imagine St. Peter showing God that picture, and asking "Should we allow Gianni Versace into heaven, Lord?  He was very naughty.  Look how he dressed women", and God looking at the picture and replying "Yes, he was very naughty, but ... mmmmm. Let him in, and send him to the female angels. I'd like to see his work on some of them!".

• 1 month later...