Bellazon

Kazakh supermodel Ruslana Korshunova committed suicide

cheesecake

we are all sorry but no one knew her... no one can say what was in her head... she was gorgeous but the price sometimes is just too big. i really hope she is on better place now, because she obviously didn't fit into this world.

this is not just another suicide, this should be a wake up call for people in the industry. every year young, gorgeous girls end their lives, this way or another just trying to be next kate moss or naomi campbell. modeling is more than shows, fans, pic on the web... it also means loneliness, constant diets, not getting enough sleep, using lots of alcohol and drugs, not being able to have normal friendships nor relationships. the worst thing is that this will be forgotten in a few weeks. fans have more respect for models than their agents, photographers or designers who treat them like money. and that's how another young life's lost. few days ago i am pretty sure there was million girls all over the world who would give anything to be in her skin. if she never got discovered she would be alive.

we are all sorry but no one knew her... no one can say what was in her head... she was gorgeous but the price sometimes is just too big. i really hope she is on better place now, because she obviously didn't fit into this world.

this is not just another suicide, this should be a wake up call for people in the industry. every year young, gorgeous girls end their lives, this way or another just trying to be next kate moss or naomi campbell. modeling is more than shows, fans, pic on the web... it also means loneliness, constant diets, not getting enough sleep, using lots of alcohol and drugs, not being able to have normal friendships nor relationships. the worst thing is that this will be forgotten in a few weeks. fans have more respect for models than their agents, photographers or designers who treat them like money. and that's how another young life's lost. few days ago i am pretty sure there was million girls all over the world who would give anything to be in her skin. if she never got discovered she would be alive.

Ok I may sound like a mega bitch here, but why is everyone getting so emo over a woman dying? Yes it's sad, but none of you knew her in real life, why go on and on about it?

Pay some kind of respect and move on, stop dwelling on it.... People die around the world on a daily basis due to suicide, homicide, natural causes, disasters, accidents, disease and yet... because they aren't famous people can't seem to give two shits, and what's worse is everyone seems to do this only when someone famous dies... o.O

Ruslana RIP... Your family and friends will be in my prayers.

And see... now I move on. Wait no I haven't.. omg I need to go QQ in her thread that I never once visited, I need to be a part of something and feel some kind of validation for my sadness.. [what sadness?]

Now I'm done.

another article

Death of a supermodel: Ruslana Korshunova plunges to her death in New York

Ruslana Korshunova had conquered the catwalks before turning 21. So why did she end her life by throwing herself from the ninth floor of a New York apartment block?

Monday, June 30, 2008

Like every supermodel, Ruslana Korshunova had to grow up a lot faster than the rest of us. Plucked from her native Kazakhstan by a London fashion agency at just 15 years old, within just two years she was on the catwalks of New York and on the cover of Vogue.

Her almond eyes and "fairy-tale" features had given her a life of almost instantaneous success that – we might imagine now – became overwhelming.

In some ways Korshunova was still a minor, at least in the eyes of American law. She would have turned 21 this Wednesday and thus finally been allowed legally to drink in any of the myriad bars in the lower Manhattan neighbourhood where she lived. But that milestone will never be hers.

As tourists milled past on Saturday afternoon, Korshunova plunged from the balcony of her ninth-floor apartment to the ground, tearing a hole in orange construction netting on the way to the pavement below. Witnesses described hearing a crack like a gun-shot or the thwack of a drum as she made impact.

It was 2.30 pm on an exceptionally sultry New York afternoon. The young woman with a full career already travelled and surely an even brighter one still ahead, died instantly, officials said. Although a formal police investigation was launched yesterday, there were no suggestions that her death would be treated as anything other than a suicide. There was no evidence of a struggle in the flat.

For now, however, questions about what might have driven the Kazakh beauty to extinguish her life were mostly answered only by speculation. There was no indication from police that they had found a suicide note. Friends reported that she had recently returned from a job in Paris and seemed to be "on top of the world". Yet there was one place where clues to a confused heart and torn soul were to be found.

Korshunova belonged to the internet generation for whom social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace can substitute for clubs, confessionals and therapist chairs. "I am so lost. Will I ever find myself?" she wrote on one site three months ago. "I'm a bitch. I'm a witch. I don't care what you say."

The fashion industry is not unaware that its stars, brought into the media glare at such young ages, face pressures they can barely cope with. Two years ago, after the death from starvation of the Brazilian model Ana Carolina Reston, a campaign was launched to protect the young women from taking their quests for thinness too far. Fashion week organisers in Madrid, Milan and elsewhere instituted minimum body-mass ratios for girls on their runways.

But even girls who can handle the perils of eating disorders have other issues to deal with, most of them having to do simply with life coming at them too quickly. And some fight a kind of loneliness that cities such as New York can sometimes make more acute and which cannot be cured by dawdling on Facebook.

Korshunova's journey began back in 2003. Debbie Jones, a principal with the leading European agency Models 1, spotted her photograph in an in-flight magazine article. It was about Korshunova's efforts as a teenager in Almaty, Kazakhstan's largest city, to learn German. Ms Jones was mesmerised by her features. "She looked like something out of a fairytale!" she was to recall later. "We had to find her and we searched high and low until we did! She's really incredible, with feline features and timeless beauty."

Even before appearing in the 2005 New York Fashion Week modelling for Marc Jacobs, Korshunova had a portfolio to make her peers as green as her bright eyes. She had posed for the likes of Mario Sorrenti, Paolo Roversi and Willy Van Der Perre and appeared in campaigns for Kenzo, Clarins and Paul Smith. More recently, she modelled for Kenzo, Vera Wang, Nina Ricci, Donna Karan and Christian Dior. Her magazine covers extended from Russian Vogue to French Elle. British Vogue identified hers as a "face to be excited about," while some fashion writers dubbed her the "Russian Rapunzel".

"We're shocked and our heart goes out to her family," a spokesman for IMG, the US agency who had recently been representing her, said. A former boyfriend, Artem Perchenok, 24, told the New York Post he had dropped Korshunova off at her apartment in the early hours of Saturday morning after they had watched the Demi Moore film Ghost together. "She was a good person," he added, simply. A doorman in the building confirmed seeing her return and said that there was nothing to suggest she was unhappy.

A friend, Kira Titeneva, rushed to her apartment late on Saturday, still unable to grasp the tragedy. "We were talking on the phone last night," she said. "She loved life so much. She was an angel." A friend from the city in Kazakhstan where they grew up, she added that Korshunova "wasn't wild. She was never on drugs or anything." Another person, who said she was a friend, said the model had seemed "on top of the world," adding: "There were no signs. That's what's driving me crazy."

But there were signs on her blog. Not everything in her life apparently made sense to her. Her entries were alternately in Russian and English. Some seemed optimistic, while others were bleak. "Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably," she offered in a short poem. "And never regret anything that made you smile." But in January she made this tormented entry: "It hurts, as if someone took a part of me, tore it out, mercilessly stomped all over and threw it out. My dream is to fly. Oh, my rainbow, it is too high."

Ok, I tried to reply to this comment twice, but there was sth wrong with BZ, and it wasn't posted :( will try again now.

Ok I may sound like a mega bitch here, but why is everyone getting so emo over a woman dying? Yes it's sad, but none of you knew her in real life, why go on and on about it?

Pay some kind of respect and move on, stop dwelling on it.... People die around the world on a daily basis due to suicide, homicide, natural causes, disasters, accidents, disease and yet... because they aren't famous people can't seem to give two shits, and what's worse is everyone seems to do this only when someone famous dies... o.O

Ruslana RIP... Your family and friends will be in my prayers.

And see... now I move on. Wait no I haven't.. omg I need to go QQ in her thread that I never once visited, I need to be a part of something and feel some kind of validation for my sadness.. [what sadness?]

Now I'm done.

Interview with her boyfriend... on russian

I all the same don't believe that it was suicide! Something happened there (criminal or not) or it was accident... She couldn't forget about her mum and friends, and boyfriend! Someone could drive her to despair and to suicide! I think her ex-boyfriend did something or said something...

Excerpts from her blog

(there are only sad things, but I repeat that she wrote not only this!)

Some news

Very immature post by Prettyphile indeed. That famous people get more attention is nothing new. They get more attention in life and they get more attention when they die -- it doesn't make her death any less tragic. So far there's been uncertainty as to the cause of death, and naturally people are interested in knowing what happened, though suicide seems more and more likely. Still, it makes some of us wonder what made such a young and, for her age, very successful girl want to commit suicide when she had her whole life in front of her. Calling people "emo" and telling them to "move on" and "get over it" is just plain immature, and an excellent way to derail a thread that would have been better suited with the proper show of respect for the deceased. I don't even see any excessive "dwelling" going on here, and most people are probably not more affected than they can still function on a basic level. Still Prettyphile had to sneak in the tired "People die every day" rant. Unbelievable. If her lack of tact was an attempt at being original, she's a straight ten on her own "Failure Meter".

megafail.jpg

I completely agree with Sheebshab and Layla90. What Prettyphile said was very immature and cold hearted in my opinion. When Heather Bratton died it was very sad and tragic but I didn't know who she was. I had never heard of her or even knew what she looked like. I did read about her death and it was extremely sad. I had never been to her thread and I never wrote anything on there because I felt I shouldn't but I damn sure didn't go in her thread and tell her fans to "get over it" because people die all the time. To me its very cold hearted to do something like that. With Ruslana I knew who she was and I had visited her thread a few times. It was shocking what happened to her. Her close friends didn't even know she was capable of doing that so its not easy to just get over it.

The Ugly Side of the Fashion Industry: Model Ruslana Korshunova's Suicide

Posted by Heather Muse at 10:20 AM, June 30, 2008

Suicide is not something to make light of. (It is, however, worthy of an eye-roll when you make a half-hearted attempt to fake your own death to avoid jail. I'm looking at you Samuel Israel III and your "suicide is painless" message written on the trunk of your car.) The coverage of the suicide of model Ruslana Korshunova, however, has one minor irritant that needs to be pointed out. Again, it is awful that this 20-year-old woman was in so much emotional pain that she jumped to her death from her Water St. apartment on Saturday. But Korshunova, no matter what the papers say, was not a supermodel.

It seems that "supermodel" has become the default term for anyone who struts down the runway and poses for magazine covers. Korshunova may have been a rising star in the fashion industry (she had appeared on the covers of French Elle and Russian Vogue), but she was not in the pantheon of stars that can simply go by their first names: Kate (Moss), Naomi (Campbell), Cindy (Crawford), Linda (Evangelista), etc. Heck, even Agyness Deyn at this point is closer to supermodel status than this random beauty.

Beyond that point--which again, is totally minor--today's coverage of Korshunova's death concentrates on the reactions to her suicide from family and friends. Her boyfriend Mark Kaminsky tells the Daily News that Korshunova "was doing good. She was one of the top models. She was happy with this." The News also features excerpts from her blog on its website, where the model ruminates on love and life with observations such as, "boys..why are you so silly?" and "i'm so lost..will i ever find myself?.." The messages were posted on a Russian social networking site, but the news doesn't specify whether they were originally written in English or Russian. (The assumption I'm going on, because of the choice the News made in keeping everything lowercase, is that they were posted in English.)

The Post talks to Kaminsky and Korshunova's ex-boyfriend, Artem Perchenok, who tells the paper,

"It [her career] was taking off. She was busy, busy. When you're 20 years old and you travel the world, how can you complain? But . . . your family's back home and people are telling you what to do and how much to eat and how to walk."

Perchenok also spoke to the Daily News and told the paper he had spent time with Korshunova the night before she died. They hung out at his parents' home in Queens. "I felt she came to say goodbye," he tells the News.

The Post also reports that Korshunova had complained of stomach pains in the week before her death and that the size-4 model had "dropped some serious weight." Korshunova left no note.