Bellazon

Ymre Stiekema
Thumbnail

lisa-1

• 1 month later...
I really like her, but I'm not particularly sure why yet :ninja: .

you dont have to have a reason, darling... she strikes something in you and she attracts your attention and your eye....what more do you need? :p

i think she pairs the modern look of today with that of a grecian goddess =swoon=

all hail Yummy Steikema!!!

• 1 month later...

Avantgarde july 09

with interview translated in English:

ROGIER & YMRE

It is unique in fashion history: fashion house Prada booked a Dutch model this season for both their male and female campaigns. With that, Ymre Stiekema (16) and Rogier Bosschaart (21) have both instantly become international top models.

For a model's career, being booked by Prada is extremely important. The fashion house doesn't just set the standard when it comes to high fashion, but it also sets trends in models' looks. Being cast for Prada shows is like winning the first prize. It means that as a model, you're hot at the moment. Daria Werbowy and Sasha Pivovarova had immediately reached the top when they booked their Prada campaigns. To make sure that other designers don't take credit for such Prada discoveries, the fashion house books their promising models exclusively. Both Ymre and Rogier recieved this honour. Their appearance was loved by the Italians so much that Rogier was chosen to be Prada's face for Infusion d'homme, and Ymre can be see in this spring's Prada fashion campaigns. "Being booked by Prada is a huge campaign for a Dutch model,", a slightly shy Ymre says to AvantGarde during an exclusive shoot for the magazine. "Still, not a lot has changed. Though it helps that I don't have to do that many castings anymore. People know who I am now!" she laughs. Rogier recognizes himself in this. "Becasue of Prada, it's not like you're just an anonymous model, you've become a name," the 21 year old says. "Clients come directly to us now."

BOOKED EXCLUSIVELY BY DIOR

Rogier's modeling career started four years ago, during his search for the ideal birthday present for his sister. "As usual, I was way too late in finding my sister a present. I went downtown and I couldn't find anything. As I was walking out of the H&M in Kalverstraat, Tony Jones (director of Tony Jones Model Management) ran after me. Whether I wanted to become a model?" Rogier looks back. "I hadn't really thought about that ever, but it seemed kinda funny at the time if I would, for example, be featured in the Hema catalogue once or something." (FYI Hema is like a Dutch Target... kind of)

He never made the Hema catalogue, because he was a wanted model from the start. "I was almost directly booked exclusively for the Dior Homme campaign. Totally unbelievable obviously! Unfortunately I was cancelled right before the shoot." A lot of castings, runway shows and a vwo-diploma (high school) later, Rogier apparently had everything in him to become a topmodel. In his first fashion season in Milan he was immediately booked exclusively for Prada as mentioned. Now, the Amsterdammer belongs to the top ten most wanted male models. "Actually it's pretty weird, someone in the fashion world marks you as "cool" and suddenly everyone wants to book you."

HARD WORK

Ymre was discovered at an even younger age. She was twelve when she walked her first show, but that resulted in being teased at school. Classmates yelled things like "You probably think you're totally beautiful?" because of which the modest Ymre felt very uncomfortable. The Groningen born girl acutely dismissed a carreer in front of the camera. Two years later, when there was a casting in the area for the Elite Model Look, she had a look with her older sister anyway. Ymre won the national finals and a year later, in 2006, came in second at the international contest in Prague. Mother Stiekema almost always travels over the world along with the sixteen year old Ymre. "Ofcourse we had our doubts about the fashion world at first, but in reality it's all really not that bad. Pepole that we've met till now are all very nice and professional. The fact that things are running so smoothly is because of her success at the Elite Model Look contest and the amazing Prada campaign. Because of that, Ymre has been able to skip a lot of steps to get to the top.", says her mom. "It may feel like it all just came her way because of that, but it's really a lot of hard work." Because Ymre is not just shooting with top photographers like Steven Meisel, but she's also still in high school, plays volleyball fanatically and is in love. "My boyfriend came to my show along with my parents twice, as a surprise, which I really loved. Thankfully he's with me at school now, that way we can see each other more. He thought I looked like a very different Ymre on the catwalkthan he was used to, by the way. Like a real model, instead of his girlfriend." (lolwut)

DIVA WITHOUT ATTITUDE

According to her mom, Ymre's strong point is that she's able to seperate her work and her private life. "She can turn the switch very easily. She walks out of the door as my girl, and walks into the studio as a diva without attitude. Even the people that she works with mention that she's very professional. Like for example, Ymre's actually sick today, but she won't tell anyone." During the interview and the shoot we indeed cannot notice her flu at all. Like a real pro, she looks into the camera seductively and poses next to Rogier as if they've known each other for years. Which is obviously not the case. "I didn't even know that another Dutch model was chosen for the male perfume campaign. Actually, I didn't even know Rogier at all!", Ymre laughs. "I don't really keep track of things like that, but obviously it's a lot of fun for Rogier."

Rogier himself also didn't know of Ymre's existence before the AvantGarde shoot. "She's a really pretty girl and fun to work with." That has to be a huge pro of working as a male model: being surrounded by beautiful girls all day. "Oh yeah," Rogier laughs "that's definitely not a bad thing." Still, he doesn't really want a model as a girlfriend. "They take their work so seriously, and honestly I prefer slightly voluptuous women. On the other hand, it would be handy if my girlfriend was a model, because she'd also have to travel a lot. How fun would it be if we had to work the same cities at the same time?" Rogier doesn't talk about his work a lot with his friends from Amsterdam. "They think I should stop whining. In their eyes I'm living in a movie star's world. They find it interesting, but in reality the modeling thing is just a normal job with slightly longer traveling times."

TOP PHOTOGRAPHER STEVEN MEISEL

Both models are full of praise about working with photographer Steven Meisel. Meisel shoots all the campaigns for Prada, and aside from that is one of the most important employees of the Italian and American Vogue. Ymre: "I was pretty nervous at our first encounter. I had heard all kinds of stories about him beforehand. Like for example, apparently I shouldn't look into his eyes, because he wants to catch the first look in a model's eyes with his camera. Well, I just gave him a handshake like we would normally do here in Holland. All those stories are nonsense. He is really nice." Ymre's mom also confirms this. "Steven is a sweet and caring man. I always prefer staying on the background, but he always involves you with everything. Ymre: "The nice thing about working with Steven is that you don't have to work long days. We usually start at around 10AM and around 4 he always wants to stop." Rogier: "Steven knows exactly what he wants, which makes working with him a lot easier. Sometimes you're working with photographers who don't really know what they are working towards, and then it's really hard to get good results."

Another icon from the fashion industry that both models have met, is Miuccia Prada. "I first saw her at the runway shows. During fittings, it took a while before I was introduced to her. She's busy with all kinds of stuff at a moment like that. I haven't really had a lot of contact with her. She's a real business women, without any fuss.", Ymre tells us. "She's really nice, but it's not like we exchange holiday stories," Rogier laughs "By the way, she does like football (SOCCER, FOR IGNORANT FOOLZ) During the World Cup, I had my fittings at Prada. The evening when Russia and Holland were playing, the television was switched off at first. Until Miuccia came in, who was totally surprised at the television being off. "We are going to watch football, aren't we!" she called out to us and then I spent the whole evening next to her on the couch. Fun, it was just too bad Holland lost the game.."

STAYING SOBER

It's special to see how both stayed very grounded despite all the attention they're getting. "No, I don't really wear designer clothes unless I've recieved it by chance," Rogier says. Next year, both of them want to focus on their school and studies. Rogier: "I don't know what I want to do yet, I'm still deciding between the film- and art academy." Ymre definitely wants to finish her havo high school and go to college afterwards. "If it keeps going well like it is right now with the modeling, obviously I will postpone studying at college a few years. Interior design seems like a lot of fun, but thankfully I still have a lot of time to think about my study choice."

------------------------------

Thanks to Forrest