Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

This doesn't sound like something he'd say... atleast not in those words.

Oxford... this wasn't said in the Nightline interview was it?

virginiaolivia Bibi

Leo Dicaprio just said doing romantic comedies is a complete waste of time. I couldn't agree more! I hate that genre of movies #LoveLeo <3

3 minutes ago

Some tweets from regular people who were lucky to get invites to early screenings

Althea Thompson

Saw the movie "J. Edgar" tonight...it was very interesting....I never knew....good movie...check it out!!

2 minutes ago

Th3SizzleBrandon Simonsen

Just saw an early screening of J Edgar. I loved it. A beautiful story. Highly recommended if you have an open mind. Otherwise, don't bother

8 minutes ago

RyanFerguson83Ryan Ferguson

J. Edgar was quite good. It's definitely required viewing.

17 minutes ago

brendanemmelBrendan Emmel

Saw an advanced screening of J Edgar tonight. Must say it was different but still good. Nothing like a little corruption to start the week.

5 minutes ago

Fash

Leo said that he has to have an interest in a character to want to do a part. That people tell him he should do a romantic comedy , but why do one just to do one ??? Something about the film has to interest him otherwise for him it is a waste of time.

He was basically saying what he's said many times, he is choosy about what he does, as if he is going to put so much of his time & effort into a project, it has to be something that truly interests him, seems like a challenge.

Bracelet thing, I really don't know anymore! :p

At first I thought he/his stylist just liked it, and it didn't mean anything,

but he does wear it a LOT?? :o

Bar thing, not gonna happen.

Although I don't think it's strange she's still friend with his friends,

She has been on vacation and stuff with them a lot, you build some kind of relationship...

And also Leo still seems friend with people he has met through Bar so.. No bad feelings luckily :laugh:

Matt Damon thing, all I could think is this: :rofl:

Priceless last sentence: 'Yo, fuck Matt Damon!'

Leonardo DiCaprio wanted to be a marine biologist

LEONARDO DiCaprio puts his attempts to save the planet down to his unfulfilled passion and unrealized dream job.

The Inception star says he never wanted to be an actor when he was growing up and his interest in environmental issues are all because he missed out on his true calling.

“Ever since I was very young I’ve been fascinated with nature and I actually wanted to be a marine biologist,” says Leo.

“That was a great passion of mine and why in the off season when I’m not making movies, I became more and more active as an environmentalist trying to be more vocal about issues I felt were important. I try to shed some light on some very topical issues right now.”

http://www.showbizspy.com/article/239885/l...-biologist.html

barilace

HE NEEDS TO MAKE A STATEMENT TO THE PRESS

Exactly! :rofl: We NEED to know where the hell that bracelete is from :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the tweets and whatnot. I feel bad I'm not posting any news, tweets or anything for you girls, and your all posting stuff. I've been busy :/ But I love going on here and reading all you girls have posted :grouphug:

Nightline interview: I didn't get a chance to watch it, is it up on Youtube yet?

Fash: sent you a PM!

Interview in Access Hollywood

Will Leonardo DiCaprio Direct In The Future?

http://www.accesshollywood.com/will-leonar...e_video_1366679

Leonardo DiCaprio: Why I Wanted To Play ‘J. Edgar’

http://www.accesshollywood.com/leonardo-di...r_video_1366698

Clint Eastwood Talks Directing Leonardo DiCaprio In ‘J. Edgar’

http://www.accesshollywood.com/clint-eastw...r_video_1366836

Leonardo DiCaprio Talks Bringing 3-D To ‘The Great Gatsby’

http://www.accesshollywood.com/leonardo-di...y_video_1366678

Leonardo DiCaprio talks about 'J. Edgar,' saving wild tigers

Almost as well-known for his dedication to environmental causes as he is for his acting, Leonardo DiCaprio does much more than pay lip service to the crucial issues concerning the planet. "Why is it important to me? It's important to everybody," he replied when MNN asked about it at the news conference for his latest film, the Clint Eastwood-directed "J. Edgar."

"The environmental movement is the biggest peoples' movement in the world. Unfortunately, our governments and corporations haven't responded to protect our planet's natural resources," said DiCaprio, whose interests were first sparked in childhood. "I was fascinated with nature and I actually wanted to be a marine biologist when I was very young and that was a great passion of mine. In the off-season when I'm not making movies, I became more and more active as an environmentalist and trying to be more vocal about issues that I felt were important. I created my foundation as a result of that and throughout my website I try to shed some light on some very topical issues. "Right now the campaign that I'm a part of is to save the last remaining wild tigers throughout Asia. There are only 3,200 left in the wild. There are more tigers in Texas in cages than there are tigers in the wild and we're at risk of losing this iconic species for all time."

DiCaprio explained that the problem is twofold. "Throughout Asia, a lot of these countries are selling off their jungle and forest rights to palm oil and paper and pulp companies, and there's this [idea] that comes from witch doctors that these animals can make you more virile, make you more of a man, so they crush the bones and make wine out of them. Unfortunately, the wild tiger's is the most expensive and sought after," he said, noting that a similar belief has led to slaughter of rhinoceros for their horns and sharks for their fins. "They think it has medicinal properties. That kind of mentality needs to be changed." At the same time, "it's a land preservation effort, because if you can unify the public behind saving an iconic species like the tiger like they did with the panda, it means you need to protect their habitat and that means saving thousands of acres for them to be able to roam and breed. So there's a huge effort throughout Asia to protect the habitat," said DiCaprio, who is working with savetigersnow.org and the World Wildlife Fund on the issue.

A member of the WWF board (ditto the NRDC, Global Green and the International Fund for Animal Welfare), he hopes that the initiative will be as successful as the "great victory" for which he campaigned, a prohibition on shark finning. "We have a ban in California that's going to save a lot of these top predators in the ocean," he said. "The idea is to get people to become more knowledgeable about the issue and try to get corporations and individuals to contribute to these nonprofit organizations to make that happen."

On screen, the star of such iconic films as "Titanic," "The Aviator," "The Departed" and "Inception" plays what is arguably his most challenging role yet, aging over six decades to portray the life and career of FBI founder J. Edgar Hoover in "J. Edgar," opening Nov. 9 in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and Washington D.C., and in more cities on Nov. 11.

Hoover is not a likeable character, but DiCaprio succeeds in bringing him to life in all his contradictions and complexities. "I don't have to sympathize or empathize with a human being in order to portray them. Some of the greatest roles that actors have been able to play haven't been the most endearing on screen," reminded the actor, who credits screenwriter Dustin Lance Black's script for its "fascinating portrait" of a man who devoted his life to government service while denying himself a personal life, but undeniably accomplished much in the process.

"J. Edgar Hoover really transformed the police system in America and created this federal bureau that to this day is one of the most feared and respected and revered police forces in the entire world. But in his later years he became, in essence, a political dinosaur who didn't adapt to the changing of our country. When the Civil Rights Movement came along, he saw that as an uprising of the people and didn't adapt or change. He stayed in power way too long and he didn't listen to his own critics. You can't deny that he was a patriot, but at the same time, his tactics were pretty deplorable."

The film explores Hoover's relationships with his right-hand man Clyde Tolson (Armie Hammer), his loyal secretary Helen Gandy (Naomi Watts) and his mother (Judi Dench), with whom he lived until she died. "He was a crockpot of eccentricities. We couldn't even fit all his eccentricities into this movie," quipped DiCaprio, "One of the most powerful men in our country lived with his mother until he was 40 years old, and listened to his mother for political advice. He was a mama's boy."

Also depicted is the homosexuality that was suspected but never stated. Hoover "was incredibly oppressed emotionally. His only outlet was his job. No matter what his sexual orientation was, he was devoted to his job and power was paramount to him. Holding onto that power at all costs was the most important thing in his life. He should have retired much sooner than he did and many presidents tried to oust him," DiCaprio reflected. "He didn't adapt or change to our country and that's one of the most important things that a political leader can do."

DiCaprio relished delving into researching Hoover and talking to people who knew him on a visit to Washington, D.C., comparing the process to "a college course on J. Edgar Hoover. That's the fun of making a movie for me, not only understanding the history and reading the books, but understanding what motivated this man was the most fascinating part of this research."

Fortuitously, added DiCaprio, Eastwood saved the scenes involving the elderly versions of the characters for the final two weeks of filming "so we got to prepare for that and get our footing in our characters. We sat in the makeup chair for five or six or seven hours. But the challenge for me was not just the prosthetic work and how to move like an older man, but how to have 50 years of experience in the workplace and how to talk to a young Robert Kennedy as if he was some political upstart that didn't know what he was talking about."

DiCaprio praised director Eastwood for making that job as easy as possible. "Clint creates an environment for all of us to really focus on the acting and the drama and the interaction of the characters. He expects you to plant your feet and tell the truth and that's what we tried our best to do on this movie. He was very understanding about the different time periods that we had to shift back and forth from in this movie, all the complex politics and character development, and he gave us everything we could possibly ask for as actors."

DiCaprio is currently working with director Baz Luhrmann on a new version of "The Great Gatsby," playing the title character opposite Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan and Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway.

Fash Pay attention to the last part

Top Secrets of 'J. Edgar': Clint Eastwood, Leonardo DiCaprio on New Film About Hoover's Private Life

abc_clint_eastwood_dicaprio_jp_111107_wg.jpg

Leonardo DiCaprio on Becoming J. Edgar Hoover

Transforming DiCaprio into an aging Hoover took much more than just an extensive make-up process. Aside from learning to move more slowly, the actor studied the FBI director almost compulsively. DiCaprio said he traveled to Washington, D.C., where Hoover was born and lived with his mother until he was 40 years old, and visited the bedroom he died in. DiCaprio also walked the halls of the FBI building and sat in Hoover's chair, trying to get a feel for what it was like to be "The Boss."

DiCaprio and Eastwood also interviewed former FBI agents who worked under Hoover to find out how the FBI director would speak to people, how he would gesture -- even if he liked donuts -- to further develop his character for the film.

Former FBI agent Deek Delosh was one of the last agents to know Hoover well. According to DiCaprio, Delosh described Hoover as a man who became more sensitive and emotional as he got older.

"[Hoover] felt things fragmenting around him," DiCaprio said. "He felt his, sort of, power diminishing and his influence diminishing and he would oftentimes have bouts of depression where he would be sobbing."

But one of the more challenging scenes, DiCaprio said, was when he, portraying an older Hoover, had to sit across from Jeffery Donovan, who plays a young Robert Kennedy in the film.

"[Hoover] speaks to him like he's a young whippersnapper wet behind the ears and doesn't know the first thing about politics," DiCaprio said. "So to have not only the weight and all the prosthetics, but to have that sort of command at 50 years of experience under your belt and you know, knowing this country on a more intricate level than this young political upstart could ever imagine, was a challenging one."

DiCaprio recieved an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Howard Hughes in the 2004 film, "The Aviator," but is still more recoginzed today for playing Jack Dawson in the 1997 blockbuster "Titanic," a role he said he was "very proud" of. He added that it is not the characters that draw him into doing a film, but the story.

"To do a movie just for the sake of doing a romantic comedy or doing a science fiction film seems sort of a profound waste of time," DiCaprio said. "You read something and if you're moved by it and you feel like you know it can be a perfect film and you can do a good job in it and that's sort of my philosophy."