Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

The guy below is from Germany , and he is live blogging from Django presentation; he misses seeing Leo there as well :p

11.54amWaltz continues: "Dr Schultz and Django are a team and yes, the dynamic changes over the course, but whether that's a father figure or a teacher, I dunno."

11.52amWaltz, who plays the guy who rescues Django and becomes a father figure to him: "He said 'rescue'. That's not a rescue. Dr Schultz needs Django. This is a different relationship than someone picking up a slave and rescuing him... this is a unique and fabulous relationship that is forged in the case of fantastic adventures. I find it sensational that Italian directors import a genre to Italy to forge spaghetti westerns, then an American director takes the new thing and brings it back to America." He's waffling.

11.50amAny hard times he drew on? Foxx: "Growing up in Texas, there ... it was racially charged. Some of the experiences I went through as a kid, I expressed to [QT]. Being called a nigger as a kid by grown people, was something I had to deal with. By having that done to me, I was able to grasp what was being said in the script. I had certain parallels growing up that also paralleled Django's story."

11.49amWas it easy to get into the mindset of Django? Foxx: "Getting there was really a journey because at the start of this process, QT pulled me aside and said 'I'm worried you can't get to that slave'. He said 'throw your ego out of the door right now so we can get to the work'." Tarantino: "I remember we had a talk on our first day of rehearsals. When you're introduced to Django you see him on a chain gang being lead from Mississippi to Texas. When we start, he's sixth from the seventh on the left in the chain gang. He needs to get to that point from nothing."

11.48amWill it be controversial? Foxx: "It is but we've grown up too. With Tarantino you expect a different ball game. The script alone was blazing through Hollywood before it even got going. You expect that from him, and actually when we started shooting it, it didn't fall away but you watched Quentin putting together this fantastic film with fantastic people."

11.46amHe adds: "You can't be more surrealistic than it was in real life. It was fucked. Up. It was bad and frankly it's surrealistic - it's unimaginable to think of the pain and the suffering that went on in this country. Hence making it perfect for a spaghetti western adaptation."

11.44amHow long has this idea been brewing? Tarantino: "About 13 years, kind of altogether. I always wanted to do a western. Since spaghetti westerns have always been my favourite, I always thought it would be in the universe of spaghetti - the violence, cool music... The germ of the whole idea was a slave who becomes a bounty hunter. From that point on, it became a love story, but that initial idea was a slave who becomes a bounty hunter and hunts white men. Before the civil war."

11.43amThe moderator mentions that Samuel L Jackson and Leo can't make it, before introducing "the grand master of this circus" Tarantino!

11.41amOut come the cast: Jamie Foxx, Walton Goggins, Don Johnson, Christoph Waltz and Kerry Washington. No Leo... boo!

11.58amTarantino: "There is an interesting backstory to Christoph's character that's not told in the movie or set up in the movie, but makes sense. He's a fugitive in Germany that's brought to America."

11.56amWhat is it about Schultz that makes him more enlightened than other white characters? Tarantino: "As savvy as he is about the west, is as unsavvy as he is about the realities and cruelties that exist in the south. In the first half of the story, Schultz is the mentor, teaching Jamie how to read and so on, but when the actually get to the thick of it in Mississippi, it's Schultz who's caught short. But Django's not, he knows this world."

11.55amTarantino: "I didn't do a movie about a slave. The character starts off as a slave. I was interested in a slave narrative. To me one of the fun things about telling the story was to take the western genre we know so well and place it in the antebellum south and place a black character in it. So take the western cliches and place them in the south. Dr Schultz takes that numnuthin kid and teaches him how to be a fighter."

11.54amWaltz continues: "Dr Schultz and Django are a team and yes, the dynamic changes over the course, but whether that's a father figure or a teacher, I dunno."

Intro before Tarantino shows 8 minute clip

11.59amClip time. Tarantino: "Before we did the trailers, we did an industry sizzle reel, about eight minutes long. It's done in the order of the trailer. There's more footage, tells the first half more in order." See you in eight I guess!

Tweet about footage shown from person who is there ; they claim is same as Cannes footage/trailers /nothing new

Is just the same footage shown at Cannes, extended trailers just, so nothing much new unfortunately.

More Twitter reactions from those there ;confirms it is the Cannes footage

Yup, that DJANGO UNCHAINED reel from Cannes, shown again at #SDCC2012, is a real barn-burner. Crowd loves it.

moviefone@moviefone

Crowd is going crazy for 'Django Unchained' footage. #sdcc

Felonious P. Skunk@felonious_skunk

Django Unchained. fucking amazing

Amy McSherley@lidlesseye

Just saw the Django Unchained sizzle reel. Definitely seeing it when it comes out #sdcc #hallh

1mj1gh4zjtwdhxkhh5021p_normal.jpegevelienh@evelienh

Yeah! 8 full minutes of Django Unchained! "if it's good enough for the industry it's good enough for these fans" you rock, Tarantino!

1mpypnuyfrbfonoir54vrc_normal.jpegTiffany@tnchung

holy shit django unchained is a must-see for sure.

1me-rocl_normal.jpgEric Walkuski@ericwalkuski

Django Unchained lookin' good. #sdcc

1mtweet_normal.pngsarah@tinklefish

Django Unchained looks, to put it simply, fucking. Awesome. #SDCC #HallH #Django #Tarentino

1mPicture_3_normal.pngAll Things Fangirl@loquaciousmuse

Django eight min industry reel just played for us, footage from first half of the movie. And it is AWESOME. Ohmygod I can't wait. #sdcc

Retweeted by Alex Billington

Zac Walker@zakkorama

Django Unchained preview was OSSUM. #sdcc

3m221951_10150170862808303_502203302_7042024_6847867_n_normal.jpgKristinFloresSpiotto@KristinSpiotto

Django Unchained. Yes please, times a million. #SDCC2012

3m5jh3hvh2ahp4z0nyvpck_normal.jpegLATF@LATFUSA

#SDCC Django Unchained sneak peek was BADA$$ to say the least. Quentin Tarantino is back. "Django... the D is silent" Fans should b excited!

3mtwitprof_normal.jpgVivian's Lover@clowchan

Holy shit Django unchained is gonna be AWESOME

The live blogger talks about the 8 minute clip , do remember he is a German fan of Christopher Waltz

Also, remember when Kurt Russell left the production, than Walter Goggins character ( Billy Crash ) took over his scenes as well and is now Calvin's right hand man

12.14pmDon Johnson plays Spencer Gordon Bennet, another plantation owner. "I'd prefer it if you called me Big Daddy! Mine is the kind of gentle, kind plantation owner."

12.13pmTarantino: "One of the things that became interesting when I started writing this characters is in action film terms, the swashbuckle, where you have the cavalier swordsman out there but fighting the king. That's what you have with these plantation owners, they're the kings of their properties. Inside their property they have slaves and all their families, who were all like the subjects of the King."

12.11pmStephen (Sam L Jackson) is the house slave. Tarantino: "It's funny making it about the three of them. When you had slavery, you could have the equivalent of big corporations today but they'd just be families. A whole family could corner the entire market, because they had enough slaves to do it. Leo's character inherited this candyland. There's Stephen the manservant and Billy Crash, who are the two CEOs. Stephen runs everything to do with the house and the farm. So actually they don't have that many scenes together, the Billy and Stephen relationship is a good one because together they run the house and farm together."

12.10pmGoggins plays one of DiCaprio's henchmen. He says: "This is the coolest experience in a number of cool experiences I've had as an artist. But my character, Crash, is a ruthless dude. But he's from a working man's perspective. He's not the man but he works for the man. He's a tough cookie."

12.09pmWell that was great. A lot more of the comedic element to it rather than the violence though. Waltz's character is superb.

But someone knows exactly why Leo isn't there? I don't think the filming of the wolf was the reason since the movie is still in pre- production..., Is because he is a minor character? I notice that Samuel didn't attend either. :(

That make me feel again the bad feel that Calvin Candie don't gonna be a big place in the movie :yuckky: :cry2: :cry2: ,but there's other actors here who's don't on the trealer so I%20dont%20know.gif

ByPrincess

As to Leo , just my thoughts .

I think Leo prefers to respond to the questions of what motivated him to take the part/ how he felt playing such a person ,etc when he does his various print/vid interviews before Django is released in the fall.

That way his 'responses' will be new to us all, whereas, if he responds to those questions now when you hear him repeat them in the fall it will be ' oh well, same old stuff we heard back at Comic Con" :p

As make no mistake if Leo had been present today, all the interviewers would have focused on him , in some cases, even more so than Foxx/Waltz.

Makeitcount

No, Leo's character doesn't have the same screen time as Foxx/Waltz , but , in the time Calvin is on the big screen , he will leave a lasting impression on all of us :)

And as we knew from following the film, they have 1 more week of filming at Santa Clarita before they wrap

@JonahHill has joined the cast of Django Unchained! Quentin Tarantino says they still have 1 more week of f shooting. Jonah's scene is "One of the funniest scenes I've ever written" #SDCC