Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

1 hour ago, Mirella said:

I can't understand why. Didn't Margot say that it was harder to play a cheerful Sharon than tap into the darkness? In the Canne press thing, I think. For Once upon a time in Hollywood. 

Haven't seen the Shining so I take your word for it. The only thing I hear people with Taurus in their sun is that they like sex. They can't shut up about it. I can see a Scorpio likening that. 😂

Taurus is ruled by Venus and is all about pleasure. Cheers to everyone that have that placement. 🌞 Hope you having a good time and if you don't find a Scorpio.🙃

People love emotional and touchable stories, that' s why someone like Daniel Day-Lewis  won three Oscars. But as for Margot's statement, if you don't have a sense of humor, you can't work in comedies!! Because it is difficult to make people laugh!!!

Even though Leo wasn't nominated for DLU as Best Actor he managed to set another record this year what means he will probably break this record next year with KOTFM :p But since Robert De Niro is also in KOTFM Leo will still one best picture behind him lol

Oscars: Stars Who Made History With 2022 Nominations

Leonardo DiCaprio Ties Jack Nicholson for Male Actor in Best Picture Nominees Record

gettyimages-1205162685-h_2020.jpg?w=1280

Leonardo DiCaprio is now just one best picture honor away from tying a male actor record set by Robert De Niro. With Don’t Look Up‘s best picture nomination at the 2022 ceremony, its leading man has gone from being in nine films that received the Oscar’s highest honor for a single title to being just two projects shy of tying current 11-film, record-holder De Niro.

Prior to this year, DiCaprio’s nine-nomination record — which included The Aviator, The Revenant, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Wolf of Wall Street, Django Unchained, Titanic, Gangs of New York, The Departed and Inception — was shared with Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracy, Tom Hanks and William Holden. With the Adam McKay black comedy, the Don’t Look Up star now has 10 best picture-nominated films under his belt, a record he shares with fellow Oscar-winner Jack Nicholson.

Source

Interesting take because of all the Mindy talk lately LOL

Don't Look Up Made Leonardo DiCaprio a Worse Husband Than The Wolf of Wall Street

In The Wolf of Wall Street, Leonardo DiCaprio's performance as Jordan Belfort was despicable, but Don't Look Up makes him an even worse husband.

Leonardo-DiCaprio.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=96

In The Wolf of Wall Street, Leonardo DiCaprio's performance as Jordan Belfort truly was one of the darkest in cinema. While it played off Belfort's real life as a sinister stockbroker, DiCaprio added so many wacky layers to Martin Scorsese's directorial vision that no one could bring themself to like the character. However, as much as Leo was a devilish fiend in that film, Don't Look Up made him an even worse husband.

Now, as Jordan, Leo was a terrible excuse for a family man, cheating on his first wife before moving on to Naomi (Margot Robbie). He would also continue to engage in affairs with prostitutes, abuse drugs and even hit his wife on one occasion. But as bad as all that was, in Don't Look Up, his Dr. Mindy is even more terrible because he initially started off as a hero, only to become someone who negatively influenced the world. And the sad part is, rather than chasing millions of dollars or drugs, what drew Mindy to the dark side was the idea of being a celebrity.

While Jordan wanted power in terms of money, Mindy just wanted the public to see him as a savior. It's why he abandoned his wife, June, and his two sons when the apocalypse was coming. After initially trying to convince the world a comet was hitting to end all life, he fell into the media charade and grabbed onto being a darling that everyone fawned over.

And all this attention led him to begin an affair with the newscaster, Brie. He hated how he had played by the rulebook for so many years, being a good husband and dad, because to him, the apocalypse meant he didn't get his just due. Mindy also saw being a good person as something that deserved recognition, which is why he lost his soul and broke bad. Jordan may have hurt his inner circle with his bad influence, but Mindy took things a step further by pushing the world to hate and give up compassion for the final days.

And what made things sting even more was that June helped take care of Mindy when he was sick, and he still kept the charade up with Brie. It was pretty unforgiving because, while Naomi still tried to create a new sense of family and set Jordan straight in The Wolf of Wall Street, Brie was using Mindy for nothing but fun in Don't Look Up.

Eventually, Mindy moseyed on back to his wife when his conscience kicked back in, but when he arrived, June admitted she cheated on him in college and kept it secret. So, in the same way Jordan got what was coming to him when he went to jail, Mindy got his punishment, living out the rest of his life knowing his family couldn't stand him.

Source

I saw Power of the Dog🤭I deserve an Oscar for sitting through that long, slow-talking, feeling like the 1800s even though it was set in the 1920s, smelling Benedict Cumberbatch through my screen, lol, hell no.  

As far as Scorpios, yes they are hot in every way (I dated a Scorpio. LOL never again though)

Thanks Jade for the posts! Leo tied with Jack Nicholson, cool 😎

8 minutes ago, SexyLeo91 said:

I saw Power of the Dog🤭I deserve an Oscar for sitting through that long, slow-talking, feeling like the 1800s even though it was set in the 1920s, smelling Benedict Cumberbatch through my screen, lol, hell no. 

Haha I felt the same way. I thought the performances were good but the movie itself was sooo slow. It was really hard to watch it till the end. The power of the bore 😆

I thought Dune was not as bad as TPOTD.
I’ve also seen Nightmare Alley and I could picture Leo in the role the whole time. I’m happy Leo has chosen DLU instead. But I’m sure he would have played the character completely different than Bradley Cooper. 

Akatosh

I'm familiar with book Nightmare Alley , as well as, I saw the original film with Tyrone Power, and , I might be wrong , but I think Leo's portrayal may have been  closer to Power's version = by that  I mean , at least to me , from the start of the new version Stan is a self serving character = always out for his own gain = and he remains that way throughout = thus , we the viewer remains detached from him throughout the course of the film , and thus when he gets his comeuppance at the end we only feel that he got what he deserved 

In the original version Power is portrayed more a mix of an ambitious young man combined with elements of Randall Mindy = a man who is becomes so taken with his success /fame that he loses his center  = and while , yes, we see Stan still being very self serving at times , we ,also, see a more human /caring Stan = thus while his ultimate fate may have been deserved , in the Power's  version we feel more empathy for him 

Jade

As to Leo/Brad/age/Nightmare = yes, in the book Stan in in his early thirties,  thus why it seemed odd in the opening sequences of the  film for another character to refer to him as boy /young man = something del Toro could have easily adjusted in script due to casting older actors 

Magical

Regarding comment below , if they can give BP and BA to a film based on a character who eats people's face off ,  then awarding a film about a man who was heavy drug user /made money off of others , should not have deterred them  = Silence of the Lamb and Anthony Hopkins :p 

Personally, I think,  like Jade, Matthew was awarded due to his substantial weight loss for role combined with the fact that the Academy could pat themselves on the back that they were awarding a performance that dealt with an important social issue = Aids and lack of availability of treatments

And while I enjoyed DLU on its own merits , I  do think, one of the reasons it got into BP was due to the fact that it is the one film nominated that deals with current social issues = so again the Academy  can pat themselves on the back that they do support films dealing with important social issues 

Not Leo but Jordan Belfort's story doesn't deserve an Oscar! Lol

Sugarwater

Since research shows Leo rarely attends any award shows if he is not personally nominated ( he even  didn't attend Critics Choice awards when he did have a BA nod for Once ) the only way  personally I could envision Leo being at Oscars this year was if he was asked to give out BP award which would require him to only appear on stage at very end as he did in the past at a GG ceremony one year 

7 minutes ago, oxford25 said:

Akatosh

I'm familiar with book Nightmare Alley , as well as, I saw the original film with Tyrone Power, and , I might be wrong , but I think Leo's portrayal may have been  closer to Power's version = by that  I mean , at least to me , from the start of the new version Stan is a self serving character = always out for his own gain = and he remains that way throughout = thus , we the viewer remains detached from him throughout the course of the film , and thus when he gets his comeuppance at the end we only feel that he got what he deserved 

In the original version Power is portrayed more a mix of an ambitious young man combined with elements of Randall Mindy = a man who is becomes so taken with his success /fame that he loses his center  = and while , yes, we see Stan still being very self serving at times , we ,also, see a more human /caring Stan = thus while his ultimate fate may have been deserved , in the Power's  version we feel more empathy for him 

Jade

As to Leo/Brad/age/Nightmare = yes, in the book Stan in in his early thirties,  thus why it seemed odd in the opening sequences of the  film for another character to refer to him as boy /young man = something del Toro could have easily adjusted in script due to casting older actors 

Magical

Regarding comment below , if they can give BP and BA to a film based on a character who eats people's face off ,  then awarding a film about a man who was heavy drug user /made money off of others , should not have deterred them  = Silence of the Lamb and Anthony Hopkins :p 

Personally, I think,  like Jade, Matthew was awarded due to his substantial weight loss for role combined with the fact that the Academy could pat themselves on the back that they were awarding a performance that dealt with an important social issue = Aids and lack of availability of treatments

And while I enjoyed DLU on its own merits , I  do think, one of the reasons it got into BP was due to the fact that it is the one film nominated that deals with current social issues = so again the Academy  can pat themselves on the back that they do support films dealing with important social issues 

Sugarwater

Since research shows Leo rarely attends any award shows if he is not personally nominated ( he even  didn't attend Critics Choice awards when he did have a BA nod for Once ) the only way  personally I could envision Leo being at Oscars this year was if he was asked to give out BP award which would require him to only appear on stage at very end as he did in the past at a GG ceremony one year 

I figure he probably won’t, but one can dream. One can hope the pull of the environmental message of the film might help get him there. However, I’m not holding my breath 😄

21 hours ago, oxford25 said:

Jade

and nor would I have given a SA nod to Jesse P for POD 

He also seemed pretty dull to me in this movie (or maybe it was his blant character). Hopefully he will be better in KOTFM.

Also thx for the NA response. Pretty interesting :flower:

To be fair Hannibal Lecter is iconic and Hopkins performance is one of the best ever in SOTL :p Just brilliant and intense af. I was never more scared in my life by a movie performance.

giphy-24.thumb.gif.22e3a1145a77087029fb9490b0e5abb2.gif

I wish Leo and him would make a movie before he'll pass.

I doubt Leo will attend the oscars. But I wonder about the SAG Awards since he is nominated for best ensemble. He probably won’t attend the Baftas as they take place in the uk. But maybe he combines it with a trip and visit Kate Winslet 🙂

3 hours ago, SexyLeo91 said:

Haha, The Power of the BORE is strong. I felt the same, when this boring movie will end please? 

Akatosh & Sugarwater

As to SAGS  Leo didn’t attend when Titanic received ensemble nod & he no individual, so we’ll have to see 

I think if Hank’s momma Meryl attends , we have a better chance of him showing :p 

As to BAFTAS , I think he might attend with Adam for several reasons

He did get individual nod 

He always enjoy BAFTA after parties :p

Suppoesdly the DLU team had originally planned on doing some UK / Europe promotion , so his presence on red carpet would show his continuing appreciation of support from fans worldwide 

Plus the BAFTA Academy bloc is a very influential bloc when it comes to Oscar nods/ wins = can we say Mark Rylance , Gary Oldman for Tinker Spy , and this year Judith Dench , so , I think , a clever lad like Leo knows the importance moving forward ( KOTFM) to show appreciation for being acknowledged :)

And last , but certainly not least , as you say there is Kate :p 

i

Sugarwater & Akatosh 

First, as to Oscars , since Leo is now in the industry at the status to hand out BP Oscar awards, we might well get  a welcome surprise when the curtain opens Oscar night :p 

At same time as far as SAG ensemble,  I was discussing the Oscar nods with my movie board friend last night, and naturally he said I know you were disappointed 'your man' didn't get a nod  as you do like to see him in a tux = so true :p 

And he brought up the fact that Anne Thompson and other movie bloggers mentioned in early Jan that Leo was doing no individual campaigning  during the award season. Which led him to speculate that , like TD years ago,  the studio and actors agreed that Netflix would only promote/campaign them as an ensemble = no one as a lead . And I did notice during the award season you never saw any individual FYC ads for Leo or any other cast members. 

He agreed that while of the cast Leo did get the most praise over all for his performance ,  Leo never actively campaigned like he did for Revenant or as GaGa was doing this season, , because his only concern was for the film and the ensemble as a whole to be acknowledged which there were by Critics Choice & SAG group.  

So  while some may contend he was just trying to make a Leo fan feel better about his name not being called , at same time he may well be right that Leo wasn't expecting or actively seeking a nod for this film 

And if Leo's main focus was on the ensemble being recognized , he might well attend the SAG even though he received no individual nod :thumbsup: