Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

58 minutes ago, mz_linz said:

I think the SAG, GG and Critics Choice wins will be the determining factor.

Same here. Last year Eddie Redmayne basically won none/ a very little amount of the Critics award but then we know how that ended up. And in the past Kate Winslet and Benecio del Toro were put in supporting categories for SAG, GG etc but then the Oscars decided to not go with that and they put them as leads for their nominations... and both went on to win the Oscars for leads, but they won the other awards as supporting. So it's a tricky thing to predict at times. :p 

Barbie the grey suit Leo was wearing was in the video you posted  

By the way all these pictures of Leo in suits is starting to make me drool :drool:

Thank you Barbie, Jade, Ms linz, Oxford, Fash, Katchitup and Leo lover for all the news pics updates and video clips. Sorry if l've forgotten to thank anyone

No matter if you agree or disagree about that hole oscar thing you guys have to read this article. It's simply wonderful :biggrin:

Why Leonardo DiCaprio Must Never Win An Oscar

I don’t know how much Leonardo DiCaprio actually wants to win an Academy Award. I do know that the Internet at-large both wants him to win at some point and loves to gently mock the presumption that DiCaprio really wants one of those Oscar statues. But consider me in the minority on this important issue. I hope Leonardo DiCaprio does not win an Oscar for 20th Century Fox’s The Revenant next year. For that matter, there is a part of me that hopes DiCaprio never wins an Academy Award.

It’s not that he hasn’t been worthy any number of times or that he has any failings as a human being that would preclude such an honor. But the kinds of movies that DiCaprio has been making for the last decade in an alleged attempt to win the fabled award are so important and so unique in this movie-going landscape that I don’t want to take the risk that he’ll stop making them once he wins the award.

Leonardo DiCaprio has, either by coincidence or design, become one of our most important movie stars. After rising to stardom and heartthrob status with the one-two punch of Romeo and Juliet and Titanic in the late 1990s, he spent a few years somewhat adrift, struggling with how to be the kind of actor he wanted to be as opposed to the typical movie star Hollywood wanted him to become. Granted, it was just five years between Titanic in 1997 and Martin Scorsese’s Gangs of New York in 2002, but that film came almost three years after The Beach, which was his first and last big post-Titanic film prior to falling in with Scorsese. And since 2002, in films both good and not so good, the forever-young movie star has been on something of a roll.

It’s not that every film he has made since 2002 has been good (Body of Lies, J. Edgar) or that every movie has been a hit (Body of Lies, J. Edgar), but the former Jack Dawson has been on a relatively consistent streak of making outright star vehicles with no franchise dreams helmed that are by some of the best filmmakers in the business. He is the closest thing we have to what Tom Cruise used to be when he was our biggest movie star in the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s. He has worked for nearly all of the big studios (Warner Bros./Time Warner TWX -1.59% Inc., Walt Disney DIS -4.67% via Miramax, Paramount/Viacom Inc., Weinstein Company and DreamWorks SKG) making the exact kind of movie that we all claim the studios never make anymore and turning them into bit hits.

He has made big, blustery and sometimes socially consciousness films for Martin Scorsese (Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, Wolf of Wall Street), Steven Spielberg (Catch Me If You Can), Edward Zwick (Blood Diamond), Ridley Scott (Body of Lies), Sam Mendes (Revolutionary Road), Chris Nolan (Inception), Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained), Clint Eastwood (J. Edgar), Baz Luhrmann (The Great Gatsby) and Alejandro González Iñárritu (The Revenant). They are all adult-skewing, often R-rated, high-toned mainstream entertainments, and many of them were huge hits for their respective filmmakers.

Tarantino, Scorsese, and Luhrmann scored their biggest hits with DiCaprio. Nolan’s Inception was an $825 million 2D original smash hit which will probably forever be his largest non-Dark Knight hit. Catch Me If You Can is, okay, that one isn’t terribly high in the Spielberg box office charts because it’s Spielberg, but it still made $354m worldwide in 2002 on a $52m budget. Without getting into a point-by-point debate, many of those films are considered among the better pictures made at least in recent years by said respective filmmakers.

And yes, Leonardo DiCaprio is a big part of why those films did as well as they did. Be it lingering fandom from Titanic (James Cameron’s second largest grosser, with a sad/shameful $2.1 billion worldwide) or the fact that we all know how good and how choosy he is, but the Leonardo DiCaprio film still qualifies as a genuine event picture without a franchise, without a known property, and often without explicitly kid-friendly elements. We can debate back and forth about which older movie stars can still do that movie star thing, but DiCaprio is among the only ones left who not only opens movies but opens the kinds of films that would arguably face something of an uphill battle absent his involvement.

If Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is trying to make himself into a variation on Will Smith, then Leonardo DiCaprio has made himself into the last vestiges of peak-performance Tom Cruise. And if he finally wins that Oscar, will he keep doing what he is doing? Or will he consider his quest complete and sign up to play a Marvel villain or do a Netflix television series? I don’t know of course, and under ordinary circumstances it would be none of my business. Maybe he is like Tarantino and wants to win as many Oscars as he can before he retires. Maybe this Oscar talk is Internet-driven and merely a byproduct of the kinds of films he wants to make and is able to make thanks to his track record. But the risk is just too great.

Leonardo DiCaprio is that rarest of creatures in today’s Hollywood, an absolute movie star who not only makes big budget adult-skewing “movies” but turns those movies into smash hits that qualify as moviegoing events. Since 2002, his films have made $3.433 billion worldwide, and that’s not even counting the $70m-grossing Hubble 3D IMAX documentary he narrated in 2010. On average, that’s $264m worldwide on average per movie, films that are not franchise pictures, films that are often R-rated and adult-skewing, films that tend to be directed by some of our best/most respected filmmakers, and films that are considered events partially because DiCaprio chooses to star in them.

Maybe The Revenant (admittedly his least commercial film in quite some time) will break the box office streak and/or win him that Oscar. But I hope the rugged and brutal wilderness survival story keeps both streaks alive. Because as long as Leonardo DiCaprio keeps making the kinds of movies he makes into giant hits while winning him zero Oscars, it’s a win/win for Hollywood and for moviegoers. Sorry Leo, it’s a sacrifice you may have to make. After all, you’re most certainly the movie star we need, even if you’re not remotely the one we deserve right now.

Source