Football

goose

Champions League draw

Group C:

Manchester United

Benfica

FC Basel

FC Otelul Galati

Stadium of Light, Champions League venue? It'll never catch on. ;)

out of curiousity: what are your fave teams/leagues?

Freddy = Villa and Dortmund

SS = Barca and Brugge

eNe = Arsenal, Juve and Valencia

Berno = Man Utd

Baron = Portsmouth and Banfield

Ed = Liverpool

Enigma = Liverpool

And I'm a Sunderland fan. Because someone has to be. :pinch:

Vintage 50's football today. Two "supposed" derbies ended 1:5 & 8:2.

For Arsenal, this game can be a good wake-up call. Forget winning, or a draw... we failed to lose with dignity. :( I'm just glad that this happened this soon. We're crap since the beginning of the season, with 3 losses in PL, and getting horribly outplayed by Udinese, even though we got through, in UCL.

Meanwhile Cesc already won 2 trophies in 2 games w/ Barça. On the other hand Nasri assisted City's first two. I guess we can't really blame those guys afterall. :(

It was a question in general ;) So what are yours? <--- everyone who reads this haha

Mine are: Real Madrid, Olympique Lyon and Arsenal.

As Ed told, my favorite teams are Juventus, Arsenal, followed by Valencia, and Lyon to an extent. What's your favorite team in Netherlands BTW? Ajax? If so it must be a little weird to have 3 of your fave teams in the same group. :D

^:rofl:

It seems Wengy is even clearing out players no-one has ever heard of. I caught Paul Merson's unique brand of expert analysis on Sky Sports after the United game and he's terribly cut up over the losses of Frabregash and Nazzery. :cain:

In other news, it appears Steed Malbranque has already had his contract terminated with St. Etienne and made it known that he's on the verge of retirement. Whatever the reason, it's very sad to hear. One of my favourite red & whites ever and a joy to watch at his best - his double nutmeg of James Milner against Man City last year is permanently imprinted on my brain. :hehe:

It seems Wengy is even clearing out players no-one has ever heard of. I caught Paul Merson's unique brand of expert analysis on Sky Sports after the United game and he's terribly cut up over the losses of Frabregash and Nazzery. :cain:

In other news, it appears Steed Malbranque has already had his contract terminated with St. Etienne and made it known that he's on the verge of retirement. Whatever the reason, it's very sad to hear. One of my favourite red & whites ever and a joy to watch at his best - his double nutmeg of James Milner against Man City last year is permanently imprinted on my brain. :hehe:

:D

I wanted Rafa to buy him when he was playing at Fulham. A classy player though and a shame he's retiring :(

^He signed a two-year deal with St. Etienne just three weeks ago so I can only assume he's contemplating retirement for non-footballing reasons. A strange situation, for sure. His family had relocated back to France a year prior to him leaving us, so on paper, it looked to be a nice little move for him. :no:

Owen Hargreaves to Man City, if current rumours are to be believed - no wonder he didn't return Sven's phone calls. Honestly, there are few football-related sights I'd like to see more than Hargreaves playing in the Premier League again. Though preferably not wearing those white shorts from the YouTube vids. :pinch:

As Ed told, my favorite teams are Juventus, Arsenal, followed by Valencia, and Lyon to an extent. What's your favorite team in Netherlands BTW? Ajax? If so it must be a little weird to have 3 of your fave teams in the same group. :D

Yes, my favo team in Netherlands is Ajax! So I am not very happy with the draw ;) On the other hand I can see all my teams playing in Amsterdam! :)

* AS Roma made a 8m bid for Pjanic from Olympique Lyon

* Valencia sign Victor Ruiz from Napoli, former Espanyol player, with a contract until 2016

* Valencia sign Barragán from Valladolid, former Liverpool player.

* Pablo Orbaiz (Athletic Club) will play a season on loan in Olympiacos

* Sporting Lisbon has made official the signing of Elias, from Atletico Madrid for 8.8 million euros for the next five seasons.

* Olympique Lyon have signed Sevilla's Mohammed Dabo for €1m+0.8m (variables). He will sign a four-year contract.

* Real Madrid and Galatasaray are negotiating Royston Drenthe's signing

* Real Madrid's Fernando Gago is set to join AS Roma on loan.

* AS Roma made a 8m bid for Pjanic from Olympique Lyon

I'm pulling for this guy to join Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea instead of Roma. Pjanic on the streets of London! :whistle:

So here we are, just over 24 hours from the transfer deadline and the club has seemingly grasped what the rest of the footballing world has known for nine months - we could do with a new striker. Hallelujah, Brucey. :cain:

M*, what if Pjanic went to, as Wenger calls it, a "discotheque"?

I heard about that but never saw the footage. What happened exactly?

I see Valencia are making more signings in their quest to gradually become a mediocre team <_< I can't believe Manuel Fernandes was never used either :angry:

M*, what if Pjanic went to, as Wenger calls it, a "discotheque"?

The headlines pretty much write themselves. :rofl:

Oh man, was the Drogba injury ever nasty. :no: He was inadvertently punched full in the face by Norwich keeper John Ruddy in an aerial challenge and fell to the ground virtually face first after being knocked unconcious in mid-air. Apparently, there was quite a bit of blood, too. One of those things you hope never happens on the park. Luckily, from what I understand, he's on the mend now.

Man management - the Paolo Di Canio way...

Confirmed transfers

* Eljero Elia signed a 4 year deal with Juventus

* Miralem Pjanic signed a 4 year deal with AS Roma

* El Hamdaoui on loan for 1 year from Ajax to Espanyol

* Espanyol is negotiating with Sevilla for the transfer of Romaric

* Scott Parker is now a player of Tottenham Hotspur. (he used to play at West Ham United)

* Aleksandr Hleb on loan from FC Barcelona to VfL Wolfsburg

* Diego Forlan signed a 2 year deal with Internazionale

* Dinamo Zagreb bought Josip Simunic from TSG Hoffenheim

* Joe Cole will play for Lille this season

* Davide Santon will play for Newcastle United. He was a player of Internazionale since 2008.

* Valencia player Maduro will probably play on loan for Espanyol

* David Trezeguet will play for Bani Yas a club from the Emirates

* Manchester City made a bid on AC Milan's Mark van Bommel. AC Milan refused to negotiate

* Dmitri Boelikin transfer from Anderlecht to Ajax for 1 year

* Arsenal signed Brazilian Andre Santos. Santos used to play for Fenerbahce

* Simon Kjaer signed for AS Roma. Kjaer used to play at Vfl Wolfsburg

* Zdenek Grygera made a transfer from Juventus to Fulham

* Christian Poulsen made a transfer from Liverpool to Evian-Thonon

* HSV signed Ivo Ilicevic who played last season for 1. FC Kaiserlautern as a replacement for Eljero Elia

* Massimo Oddo on loan from AC Milan to Lecce

* Mauro Zarate on loan from Lazio Roma to Internazionale

* Bryan Ruiz signed for Fulham. Ruiz played last season at FC Twente

* Mateja Kezman signed at BATE Borisov

* Krizstian Vadocz back to Dutch club NEC. He will transfer from Spanish club Osasuna

* Royston Drenthe on loan from Real Madrid to Everton

* Fernando Gago on loan from Real Madrid to AS Roma

* Pedro Leon on loan from Real Madrid to Getafe

* Diego Ribas on loan from Vfl Wolfsburg to Atletico Madrid

* Granada sign Moises Hurtado from Olympiakos

* Zaragoza sign Luis García on a free transfer

Rumors:

* Asamoah Gyan: a loan deal with Mallorca was discussed, but move to Turkey far more likely

* Tottenham are interested in Guiseppe Rossi from Villarreal.

* Zaragoza are also close to sign Helder Postiga