Bellazon

Football

goose

Sir Alex Ferguson has not given up all hope of winning a fourth successive crown after his team beat Sunderland.

United can only snatch the big prize from the Blues' grasp if Roberto Martinez's men deny them victory at Stamford Bridge next Sunday while United beat Stoke at Old Trafford as a result of away wins for the top two at Sunderland and Liverpool respectively.

Ferguson admits that may be a tall order even though Wigan did beat Chelsea 3-1 at home in September, but he is refusing to give up on his dream.

He said: "City did us a great turn by beating them [Chelsea] twice, and they are another neighbour...

"Listen, we are clutching at straws a little bit, but the important thing is for us to win our game and enjoy it in front of our fans.

"There will be 76,000 there, we will play the right way and we will play with a lot of dignity in our game.

"You never know. It would be an incredible achievement. It wouldn't be done again. Four in a row, certainly by any team, would be quite an achievement.

"We will look to stretch it out, keep the nerves going. You never know."

United kept themselves in with a chance by becoming just the third away team this season to win at the Stadium of Light.

Nani secured the victory with a 28th-minute strike, but the result remained in the melting pot all the way to the whistle as they failed to make the most of the chances they created thereafter.

Dimitar Berbatov might have claimed a hat-trick on another day, but poor finishing and good goalkeeping from Craig Gordon kept he and his team-mates at bay.

Sunderland threatened early on when John Mensah and Lorik Cana flashed headers just wide and Steed Malbranque forced an excellent save from Edwin van der Sar, but they never really looked like rescuing a point once Nani had put the visitors in front.

Ferguson's players knew what had happened at Anfield, where Steven Gerrard's woeful first-half back-pass had allowed Didier Drogba to send the visitors on their way to a 2-0 win, before kick-off, and were sent out under orders to enjoy themselves.

He said: "I just saw it [Drogba's goal] after the game. It was a great gift. There's nothing we can do about it now, we just have to get on with it.

"I just said, 'We know the result, there's nothing we can do about it, just go and enjoy yourself. Play our way, the Manchester United way and express yourselves', and they did that."

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce's disappointment was compounded by a suspected cruciate knee ligament injury to young midfielder David Meyler, who will face months on the sidelines if the Black Cats' fears are confirmed.

Liverpool vs Chelsea Player Ratings

We rate the players in the game between Liverpool and Chelsea at Anfield on Sunday.

A howler by Steven Gerrard knocked the stuffing out of the Reds and allowed Chelsea to run out 2-0 winners - a result that ends Rafael's Benitez men slim hopes of Champions League football and tightens Blues' grip on the trophy.

By Abhishek Mehrotra

Liverpool

Pepe Reina - 7

Pulled off a couple of great saves to keep his side in the game. Was left for dead by his captain's backpass though.

Sotirios Kyrgiakos - 6

Had a decent game against Nicolas Anelka and forced Chelsea to attack from the other wing. Helped Carragher in dealing with the threat of Didier Drogba as well.

Jamie Carragher (off 57') - 5.5

Was forced off with an injury but played an important role in keeping Drogba on the leash until then.

Daniel Agger - 6.5

Was Liverpool's biggest threat from the left, slinging in crosses with pleasing regularity. Combined with Kyrgiakos to shut Anelka out for most of the game although he was caught out of position when the Frenchman assisted Frank Lampard for Chelsea's second.

Javier Mascherano - 3

Most of Chelsea's attacks came from the left - the flank which Mascherano was supposed to be guarding. Had a harrowing time against Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou. Frankly, he did not look comfortable at right-back and should not be played there. Played Nicolas Anelka onside for Chelsea's second as well.

Lucas - 4

Could not cope with the fluidity of Chelsea's midfield and looked lost at times. Did not offer anything much going forward either.

Steven Gerrard - 3.5

What a colossal error from Liverpool's talisman! United fans will be up in arms about his backpass that allowed Didier Drogba to nick the ball, round Reina and score. Sat too deep most of the game to have any major impact in Chelsea's final third.

Dirk Kuyt - 5.5

No one can fault him for effort but the Dutchman lacked the quality to trouble top class defenders like John Terry and Alex.

Alberto Aquilani - 7

Tried to make up for Liverpool's lack of firepower up front with some surging runs. Kept the Reds going with his energy and threatened to score more than once. Unlucky to hit the crossbar with a speculative effort in the first half.

Yossi Benayoun - 6

Started off very brightly indeed but went flat after Liverpool conceded the first one. Had some neat one-twos with Agger but that's about it.

Maxi Rodriguez (off 42') - 6

Made a promising start and really looked up for the fight. Unfortunate to pick up a strain that forced him off just before the first half ended.

Subs

Ryan Babel (on 42') - 3.5

Never looked like a threat. Usually crowded out by the Chelsea defence and failed to call upon the dribbling skills which he is so well known for.

Daniel Ayala ( on 57') - 6

Filled Carragher's massive boots with a calm performance. Was not bullied by Drogba.

David Ngog (on 77') - n.a

Chelsea

Petr Cech - 5

Never really had to stretch himself.

John Terry - 6

Looked unsettled with some crass challenges early in the game. Calmed down later though and made sure there was no way through for Liverpool.

Alex - 7

The better of the two-central defenders. Made some crucial interceptions just when Liverpool players, Aquilani and Babel in particular, were shaping to shoot. Was particularly strong in the air.

Ashley Cole - 7.5

Looked to be close to his best, burning the turf with sensational pace. Served as the link between defence and attack - collecting the ball from Michael Ballack and then exchanging passes with Florent Malouda up front. Fabio Capello must have been grinning from ear to ear.

Branislav Ivanovic - 6

Was not too bothered defensively and made sure there was someone to support Nicolas Anelka up front at all times.

Michael Ballack - 6

Seemed more settled in his holding midfield role than he has in recent games. Shielded the back four with an impressive work-rate - sweeping across the pitch to make sure there were no mishaps.

Florent Malouda - 6.5

Played a little narrower than usual to allow Ashley Cole space on the flank - but was no less troublesome for the opposition defence.

Frank Lampard - 8

Chelsea's man of the match along with Salomon Kalou. Got Chelsea's second with a superb run in front of Benayoun and generally marshalled the midfield with authority.

Salomon Kalou (off 88') - 8

Terrorised Mascherano - going outside or cutting inside the right-back at will. Drew more players towards him which opened space up for other Chelsea forwards. Slick performance.

Didier Drogba - 7

Not his best performance, but was alive to a poor backpass from Steven Gerrard to give Chelsea the lead. It was a goal that turned the game. Put in the hard yards at the back as well.

Nicolas Anelka (off 90') - 7

The Frenchman wandered across the width of the six yard box and was a problem for Liverpool all day long. When one hole was plugged, he found another to wander into. Set up Chelsea's second with a nicely rolled pass across goal.

Subs

Yuri Zhirkov (on 88') - n.a

Joe Cole (on 90') - n.a

What a boring end to the Premier League season. The title race looks to be a foregone conclusion, and all three relegation places have been sewn up for weeks (with an embarrassingly low points total needed for survival). One year, I'd like to see every league position assured a couple of weeks in advance, just so Richard Keys and the gang spare us their usual overblown end of season coverage. No more Survival Sunday or Title Race Teatime on the final day! :cain:

What a boring end to the Premier League season. The title race looks to be a foregone conclusion, and all three relegation places have been sewn up for weeks (with an embarrassingly low points total needed for survival). One year, I'd like to see every league position assured a couple of weeks in advance, just so Richard Keys and the gang spare us their usual overblown end of season coverage. No more Survival Sunday or Title Race Teatime on the final day! :cain:

post-9484-0-1446013950-43047_thumb.gif

Too many part timers in the World Cup thread!

Berbatov's a mule but I'd take him in a heartbeat. Heskey and Berbatov, can you imagine such a thing of beauty?!?

Normally I'd be coughing blood at the thought of Spurs in the Champions League but I'm actually most amused, in fact if they get 3rd then that'd be even funnier. Hopefully they'd finish bottom of a group consisting of decidely unsexy opponents, while Gareth Barry's Man City focus on big trips to Slovenia with the likes of Fulham and Villa.

Trouble with Berbatov is that he's no use unless everything goes through him, like in his Spurs days. If he's just another member of the team and not constantly involved, he goes missing because his lack of discipline and positional sense is exposed. He'd be much better off playing for a team outside the top four.

End of season wrap: nice to get to a cup final, shame about the ref and the pitch. Nice to get to a cup semi, shame about the ref and the pitch and the whole getting outclassed in the second half thingymahjig. Away on the counter attack we can still light a fire, at home we're tedious and one dimensional. Don't score enough goals, don't have anyone on the bench who can really change a game for the better. Heskey should go but it'll be a papering the cracks departure unless we bring in someone a tad more reliable. Defense is great but we need a right-back who's a right-back. If I have to witness one more passing session between Collins and Cuellar which results in us losing possession then I may end up in an asylum. If Martin goes, its daft. If he stays, he can't just feed the same old tired lines about us being terrific in a pulsating 0-0 home draw with Stoke. Finishing 6th is all well and good if we'd been reliably beating the teams below us but losing to the ones above. That hasn't really been the case (7-1 aside), which shows that its ultimately a season of what could have been had we beaten teams like West Ham, Sunderland (no offense, Michael), Wolves and Blackburn at home.

Generally: pleased to see Liverpool have a terrible season (sorry Ed, I love you dearly but I have "personal history" with your team) and rather feebly grateful that Man City aren't in the Champions League, even if it means 'arry's mob are off to Marseille and the like.

Bundesliga: Dortmund gave it a go. Often sublime, often ridiculous; but always a great club. As soon as Beckenbauer said we had a chance of winning the title I knew we were buggered.

Miscellaneous: the wally with the brolly made some genuinely fair dinkum history with Twente. That'll do, pig.

Fantasy Football

NewPicture-3.jpg

Congratulations to Michael for a handsome victory in the most prestigious of all tournaments! Oh if only I had acknowledged Darren Bent's fine season before it was too late!

3445zqu.jpg

P.S: would very much like The Baron and SS to join the league next season.

And finally: thank you for reading all this guff!

^cup006.gif

Finishing 6th is all well and good if we'd been reliably beating the teams below us but losing to the ones above. That hasn't really been the case (7-1 aside), which shows that its ultimately a season of what could have been had we beaten teams like West Ham, Sunderland (no offense, Michael), Wolves and Blackburn at home.

None taken - probably said it at the time, but I was fully expecting a thrashing that night.

I think O'Neill just needs to utilise his fringe players a bit more, or bring better ones in next season. Villa play every game at such a relentless tempo and it's hard to replicate that every week with the same eleven. Fatigue will always set in after a while. Can't blame MO'N for thinking Sidwell isn't in the same class as Petrov or Downing, but he does have some squad players who look the part. Curtis Davies, Luke Young and Habib Beye are all capable enough and they've hardly played.

P.S: would very much like The Baron and SS to join the league next season.

+1

The Greatest hits! (Last one, I promise...)

andreiarshavin1251210c.jpg

ASK ANDREY

Hi, Andrey! I’ve got a question for you: I’ve seen TV reports about speed eating contests (for example, in Germany they eat hot dogs and wash them down with beer). Would you dare to speed-eat a lot of chocolate cakes?

Arshavin: I can afford to buy a lot of chocolate cakes and eat them calmly, without any fuss and contests at home.

Tell me, have you ever dreamt of becoming a space tourist?

Arshavin: I think it would be interesting and amusing, but I have never had such a dream.

What do you think? Who plays better, you or Igor Semshev?

Arshavin: Is it Igor Semshev asking?

I have a question for you; I hope you’ll answer ... Do you get nervous before going out on the pitch? Thanks!

Arshavin: My knees have long since ceased to tremble.

Why do you stoop?

Arshavin: It is the structure of my spine.

Hi Andrey! Please tell me, in your opinion, what is the most important thing for a footballer these days?

Arshavin: I think the most important thing is a head, not only for a footballer but for any person.

Hi, Andrey! I would like to ask you if there are some moments you want to come back to the past for?

Arshavin: Yes.

Hello Andrey! You supported Nike and (RED) partner project, aimed at combating HIV / AIDS in Africa. In the video you took part in, you ate shoelaces for some reason! I want to know why you ate red shoelaces? You are not fed at home?

Arshavin: At home I’m fed only with blue ones.

Recently, I was struck with a strange thought. Why are the majority of cartoon heroes male?

Arshavin: The word “Hero" is masculine. So this word is more suitable for men. Well, of course there are heroines as well, but usually their deeds differ from those of men.

Hello Andrey, I’ve been playing football half a year now. All this time I played the field and now I begin to wonder maybe I should become a goalie. What would you recommend?

Arshavin: To think about it.

Andrey, is it possible to meet you in London?

Arshavin: If I live here, then there is a chance.

I’m overweight. What shall I do?

Arshavin: Lose weight.

I am 13 years old and I began to play football 2 years ago. Do you think I’ll be able to become a professional footballer?

Arshavin: I do not know.

Andrey, how often do you eat onions or garlic??

Arshavin: It happens sometimes…

Well fair enough I guess. Been saying Bayern should get rid of Demichelis for years and so he's proved again to not quite be top draw. God knows Robben was trying but it was all very one dimensional and any stray touch was instantly gobbled up by Inter. Cue a sea of insipid, fawning broadsheet articles about Mourinho. Can't fault the man's accomplishments at all, just wish there weren't so many bum slurpers tracking his every blink. I think they're all under the impression that because he makes jokes at press conferences, they're all his mates. Dumbos.