Bellazon

2016 SI Swimsuit

christine

On 2/9/2016 at 0:37 PM, katchitup said:

Calling a girl fat is a pretty immature thing to say. It's a pretty elementary school insult. You don't have to like Ashley or Barbara, but they aren't fat. It really disgusts me reading some of the comments right now, a girl shouldn't be viewed for how fat, skinny, athletic or petite they are, what matters is the girl is healthy for her body type.

It's about time they showed some different body types in these types of magazines and the absence of different body types has caused millions of women (and men) to become insecure and feel like shit. And when girls see bodies like Barbara's or Ashley's, girls they identify with, it sucks the general public has to brand them "fat" which is no compliment, and takes away from what positive things it could have done.

I follow fashion so I can't complain about seeing these images because I do it voluntarily, but this could really help a lot of girls who don't fit into a certain mold to feel happy seeing women that are not only beautiful and bigger, but who take care of their bodies, take pride in their health and their strength. Something Ashley does. 

SMH at some people who act so childish :cain: 

My Content deleted.... ^ this was said much better than I could do right now. 

Just know that I'm happy to see that there is a bunch of nice back and forth between the group about body sizes and types. 

Personally I think we should all back positive body image in everyone.   

Name-calling and bashing people for being overweight or 'fat', short, bald, big-eared, gap-toothed, or whatever I agree is extremely childish and has no place anywhere. Promoting people to accept and embrace their body is a great thing. I wish I was taller and thinner, but it's just not in the cards.

That said, our over-PC society is so annoying. This is the SI Swimsuit Issue. Formerly, the magazine showcasing the best of the best. It will cease to be that way if they change it and compromise the standards for political correctness.

On 2/11/2016 at 0:20 PM, Warhol said:

Kate gained some weight in the last years but now she's working out a lot and I'm happy to see this because Kate is irreplaceable. I really miss her and I see Clauson like a failed attempt of being like Kate. 

On 2/11/2016 at 0:23 PM, Prettyphile said:

Or Hailey and Kate or two totally different people with different appeals. I know MJ feels that. :yes:

I always think of Bardot and Schiffer when I see Hailey. :PinkCouture2:

By showcasing a broader variety of body types, SI (if they have any influence on such things at all, and even if they don't, they have a responsibility to try) can expand our culture's idea of what "the best of the best" looks like. That's the entire point. Our very concept of what "the best of the best" has to look like has been shaped by culture, it did not spring out of the ground. An introductory art history course would prove this point adequately to anyone with eyes.

People like to cry about political correctness, imagining themselves to be in an era uniquely concerned with things they see as irrelevant distractions taken "too seriously." Truth is this has always been the case. People were calling the idea that women can work for a living the equivalent of "politically correct" back when that idea was controversial. It was also "politically correct" to oppose apartheid.

Progressives, like those who would nod approvingly at this issue, have been dismissed as naive do-gooders since the dawn of modern politics. Yet we all benefit from the legacy of their victories, even those who yearn for a return to the past dare not go too far back. Thus, what is dismissed as "political correct" will with luck in some future decade be the status quo. Every issue will have an Ashley Graham or two. And there will be all new things for stubborn people to complain about, perhaps a trans woman (Playboy beat them to the punch there) or God forbid, a woman older than 45. 

So history goes, provided people in power continue to give a shit.

^ I just want to see in my lifetime to see a magazine with various types of women (or men) are featured and we can just say how pretty they are. Not omg that one's fat or that one's too inked or that one is a stick. 

THAT's what I hope to see, with more body acceptance, body confidence and self love. and that's why I am all for the hash tags out there about acceptances. I'm one of the fluffy ones. 

Y'all, I hope this makes sense, I've been up for 30+ hours and it doesn't do me good.  I probably should step away from the interwebs now. 

Just saying guys- follow the money, not the liberal ideology and indoctrination (which is used to get the money).  There is a reason why brands based on fat acceptance have become more successful.  Now they are using SI as an advertisement channel.

In reality, though, chubby chasers among men/lesbians will continue to be as common as foot fetishists so the significance of fat acceptance is more something along the lines of social relations between women & their pecking order.

I can't bear reading through more paragraphs about the people on here calling Ashley/Barbara names vs. those defending a woman's right to not be as thin as a traditional model.  It is what it is.  People are different, and let's accept it.  Be nice, be respectful.  The world would be boring if everyone looked the same.

Personally, from what I've seen Ashley doesn't do much for me, but it's not because of her weight.  I have plenty of SI models on that "doesn't do much for me" list, including the popular Gigi.  So, for those who love Ashley, congratulations and enjoy what should be a great set of photos and videos for you. :)

I want to bring the discussion back to someone who most certainly does it for me: Nina Agdal.  Holy crap.  I just saw the shaving cream ad this morning.  I had let my scruff go for the past 4 days, but upon watching that 90 seconds of scalding hot Nina video, I immediately went to use my Edge shave gel and shave this morning.  :p

Throw these politics out of the window for a moment.  Ultimately the sexual market is defined by men (and lesbians).  The vast majority don't value fat or elderly women, period.

Every movement has their beginnings- there is a market for popular ideas/fads just there are pricing bubbles in markets.  That is the way culture works.

What you see here with this magazine is a culmination of a trend that has been going on for years.  How far will it go?  who knows.  It'll settle down somewhere, but not anytime soon. 

From a retailer's perspective, there are a lot of overweight women that have to endure a fashion culture that doesn't cater to their physiques and lifestyles.  They have certainly seen the rift from using superskinny models to sell to the heavy set.  Once women get over the hill, they care less about their own beauty (with family, etc.) and many from gen X or older decide that they like eating delicious food & don't want to be punished socially for it.  This trend is overall a win-win.  The success of brands that target overweight women attests to this.  

Here's the list of models we have and their current amount of Instagram followes, let's see who does better after tonight and this whole week. But if social networks are as powerful as some people love to think, Barbara Palvin and Megan Williams should trash the ROTY and Model Search votings since they pretty much double their competitors.

Nina Agdal - 1.111.474
Chrissy Teigen - 5.035.428
Chanel Iman - 994.524
Sofia Resing (Rookie) - 44.019 
Irina Shayk - 4.998.693
Bo Krsmanovic (Rookie) - 43.936
Rose Bertram - 363.636

Erin Heatherton - 679.157
Gigi Hadid - 13.265.770 (most followed overall)
Hannah Davis - 396.260
Samantha Hoopes - 537.532
Kate Bock - 143.921
Tanya Mityushina (Rookie) - 39.329 (least followed rookie and overall)
Kelly Rohrbach - 150.151
Robyn Lawley - 144.146
Lily Aldridge - 3.586.160
Barbara Palvin (Rookie) - 2.901.102 (most followed rookie)
Hailey Clauson - 148.235
Hannah Ferguson - 211.830
Emily Didonato - 783.776
Ashley Graham (Rookie) - 1.065.211

Model Search: 
Ebonee Davis - 54.566
Kyra Santoro - 744.191
Daniela Lopez Osorio - 230.395
Megan Williams - 1.026.659 (most followed MS girl)
Nicole Meyer - 65.336

16 minutes ago, Clauds said:

Here's the list of models we have and their current amount of Instagram followes, let's see who does better after tonight and this whole week. But if social networks are as powerful as some people love to think, Barbara Palvin and Megan Williams should trash the ROTY and Model Search votings since they pretty much double their competitors.

Nina Agdal - 1.111.474
Chrissy Teigen - 5.035.428
Chanel Iman - 994.524
Sofia Resing (Rookie) - 44.019 
Irina Shayk - 4.998.693
Bo Krsmanovic (Rookie) - 43.936
Rose Bertram - 363.636

Erin Heatherton - 679.157
Gigi Hadid - 13.265.770 (most followed overall)
Hannah Davis - 396.260
Samantha Hoopes - 537.532
Kate Bock - 143.921
Tanya Mityushina (Rookie) - 39.329 (least followed rookie and overall)
Kelly Rohrbach - 150.151
Robyn Lawley - 144.146
Lily Aldridge - 3.586.160
Barbara Palvin (Rookie) - 2.901.102 (most followed rookie)
Hailey Clauson - 148.235
Hannah Ferguson - 211.830
Emily Didonato - 783.776
Ashley Graham (Rookie) - 1.065.211

Model Search: 
Ebonee Davis - 54.566
Kyra Santoro - 744.191
Daniela Lopez Osorio - 230.395
Megan Williams - 1.026.659 (most followed MS girl)
Nicole Meyer - 65.336

Thanks @Clauds ! 

IF the votes are not rigged...It will be a good competition for the ROTY and the MS ! Barbara and Nicole will have my votes. Though i really love Dani, and Megan in a less extent !

The model search team is way better than the rookie team IMO ! It will be pretty hard for Nicole, but she will have my total support ! 

Tanya and Barbara look incredible. Both such beauties. Barbara looks better then I expected, she is really getting back to herself. Really happy they chose these two rookies bc the other ones do nothing for me. I wish they had picked Dani over Sofia though.

I'm voting Barbara and DLO for sure, but I do agree the MS is way stronger than the actual rookie class. I would have done Barbara, DLO, Kyra, Ashley and Nicole as rookies, and leave the others for MS.