Bellazon

Hannah Ferguson
Thumbnail

spud

Harper's Bazaar Interview: Aug 17, 2015

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/models/news/a11897/hannah-fergusson-interview/

Model Minute: Hannah Ferguson Is More Than Just a Bikini Babe

The blonde bombshell talks fighting the "swimsuit model" label, why she looks up to Miranda Kerr and Irina Shayk, and the food she craves the most.

Harper's BAZAAR: How did you get discovered?

Hannah Ferguson: I'm originally from St. Angelo, Texas, after I graduated high school my mom took me to Dallas and I entered in a model search contest—and I won! After that I moved to Dallas, and lived there for 6 months, and then they sent me to New York. Now I've been in New York for 4 years.

HB: Did you always want to be a model?

HF: No, at first I wanted to be a figure skater. I always loved watching the Olympics and watching the figure skating, they just looked so graceful. But growing up in a small town in Texas where there was never any snow, or ice for that matter, or ice rinks, I was never able to have that training. I took ballet, so then my second career choice was to be a dancer. But when I was 15, I tore my meniscus playing volleyball so I had to quit dancing. And that's when I was like, "Oh I want to become a model!" I had thought about it for a little while but I was working and finishing up high school and I kind of wanted to get that done before I tried it out.

HB: How would you describe your personal style?

HF: I'm pretty casual, but I also like to look put together. I grew up always wearing t-shirts, jeans and cut-off shorts. I was kind of a tomboy, running around barefoot on our farm. Both my parents were in the Marine Core, so neither of them were into fashion or clothes, so it was totally new to me when I started modeling. I think moving to New York and being in this industry has taught me how to be stylish.

HB: Who do you look to for style inspiration?

HF: I like Miranda Kerr's style, she's always so polished, but still keeps that casual vibe—it's exactly what I like.

HB: What's the one item in your closet you'd never get rid of?

HF: I have an Alexander Wang shirtdress that I love. It has sharp angles, very boxy with sheer panels—it's nice because you can belt it and throw on heels to dress it up, or wear it more casually.

HB: Who's your favorite model?

HF: I look up to Irina Shayk. She's mastered the swimsuit side of the modeling industry and she's also done a lot in high fashion. I want to get my feet wet on both sides and I think she's done a good job at that.

HB: Do you think it's easy to get boxed into the swimsuit category?

HF: For sure! They'll say, "Oh she's that type of girl." I think when you start in high fashion, it's easer to branch out but when you start out in swim and doing more commercial work definitely harder to cross over. But I think it's doable!

HB: What are some of your career goals?

HF: There's a few things on my radar that span from commercial to high fashion. I would love the cover of Sports Illustrated, I've shot with them 2 years in a row now. I would also love to get a cosmetic campaign.

HB: How do you stay fit?

HF: I don't like running, but running is what I do the most— it's just what works the best for me and my body. I run on the treadmill so I can track how far I'm going and my time. I try to set goals, originally I would only run 3 miles, but now I've built up to 5 miles so having a goal makes it a little more interesting. Otherwise, I enjoy Pilates on the reformer machine, and yoga.

HB: How do you stay motivated on days that you just want to stay in bed?

HF: I just try to think about work and the goals I have for my life. Things I want in my future help keep me motivated. Of course, I have my days where if I don't feel like going, and if I'm having a good week where I've worked out 4 or 5 times a week I won't stress about it.

HB: Do you have "cheat" days or do you keep your diet pretty balanced?

HF: Yes absolutely! Well I guess I don't really have a cheat day, but I love ice cream, I'm such a sweets person but I'm really good about having healthy meals, so it's just whether or not I indulge in dessert. I just always crave chocolate or ice cream. Right now I'm really into Ben & Jerry's "Half Baked" frozen yogurt flavor, which is a little better than just straight ice cream—I don't feel as guilty eating it. 

HB: Do you have any fun summer plans? What's your dream vacation?

HF: In August, I think I'm going to spend most of my month in the Virgin Islands and then maybe I'll go to Texas to see my family a little bit.  I love being on the beach, I love being outside and I love to fish so anywhere there's a tropical island—I want to go. I really want to go to Thailand—I think it would be a huge culture shock for me,but it's on my list of places to go for sure.

HB: Do you have a method for packing or do you just bring everything?

HF: I'm so bad—my shoes, and beauty products take up too much space. I was talking to my boyfriend about that yesterday, because we were flying back to New York and it's like the shoes take up so much space and that's just why girls have to pack big suitcases. Also you don't always know if something's going to come up or what the occasion is, so you have to pack for everything! I'm always checking a bag. If I'm only gone for a couple of days I'm pretty easy but if I'm going to be gone for 5 or more days then I have a huge suitcase, a carry on and my purse.

HB: What are some of your favorite beauty products?

HF: I love getting facials at Erno Lazlo in Soho, so I also use their products because they work for my sensitive skin. There were a lot of products that I've tried out in the past that only work for a week or two and then they they're not as effective. Erno Lazlo products are pretty good. I use Clean & Clear to take off my makeup, it's really simple but I love it.

HB: Are you strict about removing your makeup every night?

HF: Yes absolutely, I cannot sleep in my makeup. If I'm super tired and I accidently fall asleep I will usually wake up like an hour later, it's like moy body knows, and I take off my makeup. I change my pillowcases regularly. That's one thing I learned about New York, it's so dirty and it's like you don't realize how dirty, but I change my pillowcases all the time and it makes a big difference.

HB: What's your favorite thing to do when you're not working?

HF: It depends if I'm in the city. I honestly like to hang out in my apartment. I'm not really a partier, so I love just being at home, having a glass of wine and watching a movie or watching reality TV. Two of my sisters live in New York, so we'll have dinner sometimes or we'll go see a movie. If I'm not in New York my favorite hobby is to fish. When I was growing up in Texas I would fish in the lake, which is completely different than fishing in the ocean, so I like to go down to the Caribbean and do some fishing or snorkel around.

HB: Last but not least, can you take a selfie for us?

post-28072-0-65563400-1439899241_thumb.j

post-28072-0-12110200-1439899251_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...