Bellazon

Looks vs. Personality

Chicken

I really don't get people who are like: "Personality is more important because looks fade and clearly one's personality is the same throughout their life" - or who even make that implication. The whole statement simply isn't true.

Sure, a mental breakdown may change you, but that's the sort of thing that usually requires professional help to get you back to the person you were.

- The death of a family member, loved one or friend may change your outlook on life and give you a different perspective on things, thus changing your personality.

- You could be a shy person who meets some people who eventually become your friends and they naturally make you feel comfortable and you become more confident and open up to people.

- Things like gaining money and fame may change your personality. Equally, the loss of these things may change it too.

- You might witness a horrific event first hand that could change you as a person.

- The lessons we learn through life change us bit by bit as a person. You make a stupid mistake as a result of the way you exercise judgment about something, and usually you will learn from it and not do it again, thus changing you as a person slightly.

- You might spend time with someone - a partner for instance, who's personality rubs off on you. Maybe you become more generous as a result of watching them and talking to them.

There are so many things that can change you. Personality absolutely does not stick in 100% of people.

You're right, personality does not stick in 100% of people. However, according to the literature, personality traits (or at least the manner in which it is conceptualised in psychology, with the 5 "core" domains being openness to experience, agreeableness, extroversion/introversion, conscientiousness and neuroticism), have been shown to be relatively stable throughout most people's lives. Although you've included a little essay there on how situations can impact on a person (which I admittedly have skimmed rather than read), you did not mention that one's outlook and personality also affect how you interpret certain situations and the manner and degree of how one changes. The relationship between personality and one's environment is more than a one-way street.

I think the initial question, Looks vs Personality, is somewhat misleading (or at least the way I interpret the title of this thread); the question posed isn't an 'either-or' question. For most people, both factors contribute to how they feel about someone. For example, in the case of looks, most people are more inclined to judge attractive individuals or the people associated with them as having more positive qualities. On the flipside, finding someone you can relate with can help you overlook their flaws, sometimes to the point where the overlooking gets completely out of hand - scientists call this disease "love" :laugh:

I really don't get people who are like: "Personality is more important because looks fade and clearly one's personality is the same throughout their life" - or who even make that implication. The whole statement simply isn't true.

Sure, a mental breakdown may change you, but that's the sort of thing that usually requires professional help to get you back to the person you were.

- The death of a family member, loved one or friend may change your outlook on life and give you a different perspective on things, thus changing your personality.

- You could be a shy person who meets some people who eventually become your friends and they naturally make you feel comfortable and you become more confident and open up to people.

- Things like gaining money and fame may change your personality. Equally, the loss of these things may change it too.

- You might witness a horrific event first hand that could change you as a person.

- The lessons we learn through life change us bit by bit as a person. You make a stupid mistake as a result of the way you exercise judgment about something, and usually you will learn from it and not do it again, thus changing you as a person slightly.

- You might spend time with someone - a partner for instance, who's personality rubs off on you. Maybe you become more generous as a result of watching them and talking to them.

There are so many things that can change you. Personality absolutely does not stick in 100% of people.

You're right, personality does not stick in 100% of people. However, according to the literature, personality traits (or at least the manner in which it is conceptualised in psychology, with the 5 "core" domains being openness to experience, agreeableness, extroversion/introversion, conscientiousness and neuroticism), have been shown to be relatively stable throughout most people's lives. Although you've included a little essay there on how situations can impact on a person (which I admittedly have skimmed rather than read), you did not mention that one's outlook and personality also affect how you interpret certain situations and the manner and degree of how one changes. The relationship between personality and one's environment is more than a one-way street.

I think the initial question, Looks vs Personality, is somewhat misleading (or at least the way I interpret the title of this thread); the question posed isn't an 'either-or' question. For most people, both factors contribute to how they feel about someone. For example, in the case of looks, most people are more inclined to judge attractive individuals or the people associated with them as having more positive qualities. On the flipside, finding someone you can relate with can help you overlook their flaws, sometimes to the point where the overlooking gets completely out of hand - scientists call this disease "love" :laugh:

Some good points.

I just love how you passed off my post as an "essay" and admitted to merely scanning through it - presumably because of that reason - then, by your definition, proceed to post an "essay" yourself. Oh, the irony.

Some good points.

I just love how you passed off my post as an "essay" and admitted to merely scanning through it - presumably because of that reason - then, by your definition, proceed to post an "essay" yourself. Oh, the irony.

Hahahahaha touche! :laugh:

Oh the ironing!

looks dont always last forever

Personality does, and THAT might be a problem, too :whistle: :D

Not necessarily. Some events in your life can change your personality too.

true your personality changes, but you gain another personality dont you :blink:

whereas to looks eventually fade and someone better looking will come along :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There does need to be a balance your right.

If your really looking to get into a relationship for love and trying to be with that person for a long long time it can't be all looks or all personality you need to have that nice mix where you enjoy talking and being with them, while at the same time, you stay attracted to them. Too much with too little of one can kill that.

• 6 years later...