Bellazon

Football

goose

How is BVB 16th in the Bundesliga yet ranked number 1 currently (tied with Real) in the Champions League? Do they just suddenly go into overdrive when they play football in Germany?

Well it should be noted that at least a few of the teams who've schooled us in the league are clearly superior to Galatasary and Anderlecht but the point certainly still stands. Domestically there's been a real lethargy at the beginning of games that's been alarming (think England at Wembley) but the individual errors have wracked up also. Pressure, confidence, complacency, motivation have all been plucked out as potential sources, all I know is having three teams standing off all trembly kneed at your very gaze, readily affording the kind of space your average well drilled Bundesliga side have long learnt to squeeze certainly helps carve out opportunities. Gladbach at the weekend will be another incredibly hard game, the kind we've lost in recent years, let alone during this terrible run.

We can get a robotic spacecraft to touch down on the surface of a comet moving at 30000mph, but we still can't get Jozy Altidore to kick a leather sphere into his opposition's net. Conspiracy?

For what little it's worth, I would not be in the least bit surprised if Big Jozy, Tony Hibbert and Yaya Sanogo each scored against us between now and May. 

Should be interesting to see what's classed as a win here for Moyesey. You'd think European qualification or perhaps a bit of silverware would be the endgame (clearly, Sociedad lack the resources to compete at the very top), but since he couldn't manage either of those things at United, it seems like something of a stretch to expect it of him now.

Still, I think we're all looking forward to the inevitable interview where he speaks English with a bad Spanish accent. :laugh:

Wow. That's one way to focus attention away from the annual James McClean poppy furore. :wacko:

A fiver says the folks currently trotting out terms like 'bleeding heart brigade' and 'liberal PC rubbish' are all straight white males who have never experienced genuine discrimination in their lives. Just a hunch, I could be wrong.

Wahey, our lowest home league attendance for fifteen years. Needless to say I was snug and sound at home watching it all with my hands over my eyes. This lead to me to learn that our smallest crowd in the 'EPL era' was in fact none other than a desperately scrappy 2-1 win against Sheffield Wednesday, a tetchy, wintery encounter of which I had the 'privilege' of attending. No doubt SympathysSilhouette will recall the great Belgian hitman Gilles de Bilde's net bulging penalty that briefly put the relegation bound Owls ahead. Most memorable of all was Big Dion Dublin breaking his neck in seemingly the most innocuous fashion imaginable (standing still) though mercifully Paul Merson was on hand to do all the good bits while dear Mark Delaney ran like a cheetah all day long. Y'see, kids, the year was 1762, Tony Blair was Prime Minister, Eiffel 65 were number one, the Queen was still a slip of a girl, the Duke of Wellington was-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

I hear they have a wonderfully soft subs bench at Brighton's Falmouth Stadium these days, warm too. As a great man (well, Steve Bruce) once said, wor all shakin' wor heads at Benty.

Don't worry, Dazza brings plenty of padding all of his own these days. Quite a remarkable Villa career, a near demigod at the beginning under Hou, then an injury that seemed to completely hit him for six under Eck, then the Lambert genius captaincy appointment/demotion bait and switch, then the inevitably doomed Fulham loan spell and now this. I even posted a farewell to the geezer about a year ago and likable chap though he has always seemed, now I just wish someone would take the old wounded mutt 'round back to put him out of his misery.   

Book duly promoted, Villa duly dropped from the Keane portfolio. Stunned, I tell you, stunned.

I honestly dread to think what would have become of us without old Royston's timely intervention back in 2006, but he seems to be reaching borderline dangerous levels of self-parody these days. Citing his commitments to the Republic as reason to walk the day before a Premier League game would have been preposterous at the best of times, never mind when there are no more international fixtures until March. He probably took the job on the understanding that he'd be Lerner's go-to guy when the chop came for Paul Lambert, only to lose patience after Lambert's contract extension. Either that or he's flying out to join the rest of the 'I'm A Celebrity' cast.

À plus tard Eden Hazard, adeus Oscar - http://www.gfycat.com/ComposedCleanGemsbuck:chicken:

I said before the Chelsea game that we needed every single one of our players, many of whom are potentially decent but rarely perform as a collective, to do just that in order to get something. Well, blow me down if that wasn't exactly what happened. Nicely done lads, all you need now is to do the exact same thing tomorrow night.