Bellazon

Football

goose

God help the next guy. And the next one. And the next one. And the....

I'm not sure if Randy Lerner has been utilising the same 'director of football' set-up as Ellis Short this past year, but it's hard not to see similarities between Sherwood's time at Villa and Dick Advocaat at Sunderland, despite the obvious difference in managerial experience. Advocaat took over a team that, contrary to the apparent media perception, was hovering just above the bottom three, banged some heads together and cleverly created a siege mentality where there was little pressure on the players. The club then went on to make a number of summer signings who, in theory, should have been decent performers, but he appeared to send them onto the pitch without anything resembling a gameplan, and preceded to start running them down in public (the re-introduction of Kieran Richardson at the expense of Jordan Amavi seemed particularly odd) when results weren't forthcoming. Once that sort of thing starts happening, it never seems to be long before the chop comes.

It obviously wouldn't be the case if he were foreign, but it's remarkable just how much sympathy he's been afforded from those 'in the know' lately. Over the last few months, the British media's portrayal of the likes of Van Gaal and Pellegrini has been much worse than that of Sherwood, and they're competing near the top of the league.

Tim's Act II needed to begin with sorting us out a grown up defence. He had a real preoccupation with our various ornamental nothingmen midfielders but no interest in building a sustainable back four fit for purpose in the 21st century. Case in point, old lumber himself, Joleon Lescott, who's fast resembling a daffy old grandad with his fly down on Boxing Day or perhaps even worse, Rio Ferdinand at QPR. And like the last 76 Villa managers before him, Timbuktu also fell under the delusion that he was the one get Agbonlahor unrubbish and that Alan Hutton is not just a right-back but a quarterback, who requires the ball whenever, wherever, forever. 

It obviously wouldn't be the case if he were foreign, but it's remarkable just how much sympathy he's been afforded from those 'in the know' lately. Over the last few months, the British media's portrayal of the likes of Van Gaal and Pellegrini has been much worse than that of Sherwood, and they're competing near the top of the league.

I'd say there's a decent chance Sherwood's next job involves sitting next to Alan Brazil in a confined space or a salmon shirt showdown with Wrighty, Danny, and Trevor or being the 'young one' on Soccer Saturday. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised. No doubt he'll be portrayed as a diamond geezer who was elbowed out of Premier League management by an evil foreign owner, rubbish foreign players and shady directors who foisted players upon him that he never wanted.

Back to the drawing board in record time. At 2-2, Everton were in a world of trouble. Barely five minutes later, they were being made to look like Brazil 1970 with our defence and midfield in total disarray. The really irritating thing is, we look more capable up front at the moment than we have done for years, but the way we are at the back, we need to score three or four just to stand a chance of getting a draw. The only silver lining, and hopefully this is still the case come January, is that we're within touching distance of Norwich and Bournemouth. Ordinarily, you'd be cut adrift at the bottom with such a measly points total after eleven games.

On 04/11/2015 at 7:38 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

José's "slow" descent into dithering idiocy has been surprisingly swift!

The first journo at one of José's press conferences to call him out for acting like an eight-year-old coming down from a sugar rush wins my unyielding respect.

On 04/11/2015 at 0:41 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Oh you French!

After Cissé, Benzema is now also a suspect in the Valbuena sex tape blackmail case.

There seems to be some suggestion online that the allegation involves Benzema actually trying to extort money from Valbuena. It would be genuinely bizarre if that ended up being the truth of the matter.

I couldn't help but notice poor old Memphis Depay being branded the 'Dutch Ravel Morrison' yesterday by the press gang. If wearing contentious headgear and turning in a few anonymous performances is punishable by law now, shouldn't Young Master Wayne be the first one banged to rights?

Depay has been pretty dire it must be said.

Were it not for a performance against my own underperforming Club Brugge, he would have spent the entire season anonymously.

There is no way he would be at Manchester United now with another manager.

This is no longer Ruud Van Nistelrooij's PSV, the level has dropped considerably since that era.

An eredivisie player probably needs another step now before he goes to a top six club in the premiership.

Ideally, Depay would now be somewhere like Leverkusen or Gladbach.

Even there he would have needed time to adjust to the level.

In fairness to Depay, although he could really do with a good performance or two, he's still just a young'un. The problem is that at a club like Manchester United, patience always seems to be in short supply. Saying that, I don't know if consistently good forward play can realistically be expected from any of these United players at the moment. Of their attacking options, I would say Martial has been the only one to stand out as a potential top level talent, with 'potential' being the operative word there given his age. Mata is very good, but has failed to impress on too many occasions.

Moyes just got sacked again  :clap: He mentioned going to Celtic next recently... and my lovely Hearts are six points behind Celtic....  :brows:

Meanwhile I won't dare say the name of my chosen team (doomed to the Hearts, ****** chose me to be saved, as they say) because we... don't suffer.

I had no idea there was a thread here for footie and I'm kind of ashamed, you are my people right here.
Not that I expect anyone to be watching the Scottish League, it's shite.

I don't like futbol/soccer/football whatever you call it.

But I would like to go to a game one day.

The energy seems really fun. And I can just get super drunk :Dinah:

1. Blasphemy. I was starting to fall in love with you, too, Ron Limeson  :persuazn:

2. Pro-tip, the English don't know how to support a club properly, the best stadiums are German. They're deafening, they'll swallow you up whole.

Though I think the best match I've actually been to was for the Welsh NT recently, the crowd started singing the national anthem and it was just the most  :heart: thing. There's not really words for it.

3. Don't come to Scotland then, lmao. There's an alcohol ban in stadiums. I'm pretty sure it's still similar in England, but f if I know anything about that