Bellazon

Roberto Carlos
Thumbnail

Nicole

Recreativo vs. Madrid

GOALKEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López & Casilla.

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Cannavaro, Helguera, Marcelo, Mejía, Roberto Carlos & Torres.

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho, Beckham, Higuaín & Reyes.

FORWARDS: Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

Recreativo Huelva: Laquait; Merino, Beto, Pablo Amo, Poli; Jesús Váquez, Barber, Juanma (Aitor, 58'), Cazorla; Rosu (Uche, min.45) & Sinama Pongolle (Javi Guerrero, 53').

Real Madrid: Casillas; Torres, Ramos, Cannavarro, Roberto Carlos; Diarra, Gago, Beckham, Robinho (Guti, 75'); Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

Referee: Mejuto González. Booked Cannavaro (30'), Beckham (59') and Laquait (53').

Goals:

0-1 (8'): Robinho scores a header from a brilliant cross by Beckham.

0-2 (53'): Van Nistelrooy scores a penalty.

1-2 (73'): Jesús Vázquez scores a penalty.

2-2 (76'): Uche puts the finishing touch on a corner by Aitor.

2-3 (90'): Roberto Carlos scores after a counterattack by Higuaín and Gago.

Highlights: Matchday 35 of la Liga. Venue: Nuevo Colombino Stadium. A minute's silence was held in memory of the five people who died in a bus accident on their way to Madrid before Christmas to see the previous fixture between both sides at the Bernabéu.

Madrid owe debt to Roberto Carlos

An added-time winner from Roberto Carlos gave Real Madrid CF a dramatic 3-2 win at RC Recreativo de Huelva and kept alive their hopes of the Primera División title.

Five-goal thriller

Fabio Capello's men went into the contest knowing four wins from their final four games of the season would be enough to wrest back the championship from FC Barcelona. It looked like a simple night was ahead when Robinho headed in a fine David Beckham cross in the ninth minute before Ruud van Nistelrooy converted his 22nd goal of the season from the penalty spot eight minutes after half-time following a foul on Robinho. However, Recreativo refused to be beaten and a Jesús Vásquez spot-kick in the 74th minute was followed up by substitute Ikechukwu Uche's close-range equaliser in the 85th minute. With a draw looking likely, Roberto Carlos finished off a Madrid counterattack to fire in the winning goal.

Roberto Carlos keeps Madrid on course

MADRID (AFP) - A late winner by veteran galactico Roberto Carlos earned Real Madrid a 3-2 victory at Huelva on Sunday night to keep them on top of the Spanish League.

Goals by Real stars Robinho and Ruud van Nistelrooy had put Madrid two goals ahead before a late flurry by Huelva in the final quarter-hour drew them level. The Brazilian then finished off the home side in the first minute of extra time.

It was Real's fifth consecutive victory leaving them ahead of Barcelona, regardless of whether the Catalonians win at Atletico Madrid in the late match.

Real Madrid have 69 points, with Barcelona on 66, though should Barca draw level, Madrid would still be top because they are ahead when looking at results between the two sides.

It was a revenge victory for Madrid who had lost 3-0 at the hands of Huelva in their previous fixture at the Santiago-Bernebeu stadium.

A Robinho header opened the scoring in the eighth minute before van Nistelrooy added a second in the 54th minute from the spot -- his 22nd goal of the season -- and at that point the match seemed over.

But a 74th-minute penalty from Jesus Vazquez then an equaliser from Uche four minutes from time meant Madrid, conscious that they needed three points to put pressure on Barcelona, had a tense final few minutes.

But the experienced Roberto Carlos cropped up with a winner when it mattered most.

Beckham, R. Carlos & Robinho

"We showcase our confidence on the pitch"

Roberto Carlos and Robinho scored two of the team's goals and Beckham gave the latter an incredible cross from which to score his header. They're all happy with the victory and confident of winning the next three games.

Roberto Carlos

"We had the game in our hands and it was easy at times, but it suddenly got complicated. We are going through a sweet moment in which we do everything right. We are being a very serious and professional team. We withstood the pressure and heat we got earlier this season and this is our reward."

"I phoned my father right after the game because he was very worried about me. My family has been suffering for me lately. I had never been off the pitch for as long as four months."

"Support from my teammates and the fans is very important for and it helps me do better. We have a lot of fun during training. I know I have three games left with this team and we are going to continue playing this well."

"We could think we are invincible, but we're not. We never stop running. We are physically and psychologically strong. We may have fun while training, but we do very serious work. We showcase our confidence on the pitch. Next weekend will be the most important matchday of the season and we want our fans to enjoy watching us play at our stadium. If we continue playing like this we will win the next three games. We have faith in ourselves, but we must keep our feet on the ground. Next Saturday's game at home will be terribly important."

"Some people say I'm getting old, but I run faster now than when I was 20. Many players with my age are going through an excellent professional moment. We are experienced and in good shape."

Beckham

"It was a hard game for us, but after the next three games the League will be over. Roberto Carlos is an incredible person and he scored a great goal."

Robinho

"The team played well tonight. We dominated until the final minutes of the game. I guess luck plays an important role in football, but we deserved to win. We had a beautiful comeback once again. We all hugged Roberto because we all know how much that goal meant to him."

Roberto Carlos to AS

"We deserve to win the League"

Roberto Carlos made all the papers with his victory goal against Recreativo, which kept Real Madrid on the top spot of the table. Currently playing his last season at Real Madrid, the left back talked to AS about his years at the Club, the sweet moment he is going through and his future.

GOAL OF VICTORY

"Sergio Ramos cleared the ball in defence and Higuaín and Gago initiated a counterattack. Five Recreativo players closed in on them and I saw the right moment in which to come down from the left. We practice that play a lot during training. Sevilla do too: whenever their keeper, Palop, grabs the ball he gives it to Alves, Jesús Navas or Adriano to play down the wings. When Gago had the ball just outside the box I shouted out for him to give me the ball. The grass was slightly wet, and this made the ball roll faster towards me than I expected and it stopped right under my body. I didn't know what to do. Guti asked for it, but I decided to hit it with the inside of my left foot. The keeper slightly touched it with the tips of his fingers, but it went in.

"I scored with the quality I usually showcase and I suddenly found myself with players climbing on me. This picture [points to Monday's front page of AS] shows the good vibes on the team. There was never a division between Brazilians and Spaniards on the squad."

MEA CULPA

"Recreativo drew because I made a mistake. I should have been onto Uche. I thought the ball wasn't high enough in the air and that Cannavaro and Ramos would be able to clear it. Capello showed us videos of Recreativo matches and we knew they like Juanma to be a nuisance for their opponent's centre backs in these sorts of plays. I failed to see it and didn't try to obstruct Uche's shot. Prior to the game, Capello warned us: no one besides Sevilla has played as well as Recreativo in the League this year."

THE FIGHT FOR THE LEAGUE

"The team deserves to win the League. We haven't come all this way to finish second. We will win the title by two points, defeating our opponents in the next three games. I want Zaragoza to defeat Sevilla next Sunday and qualify for next year's UEFA Cup because if they don't we will have a tough game in Zaragoza the following weekend. Barcelona will put pressure on us until the very end. I don't think Espanyol will manage to take any points against them because they have already covered all their goals for the season, but Getafe may. On Saturday we will know when we'll win the League. If we had defeated Barcelona 3-2 at Camp Nou we would have practically won the title. Let's hope the points we dropped there and in some home games this season don't come into play."

CAPELLO

"It's not luck, he's got here with hard work. He knows how to read a game. He isn't to blame about what happened two or three years ago. If he had Zidane on his squad we would already be champions. He is the same person he was ten years ago; he's a great coach."

"He is 61, old enough to know what he wants to do. He should be acknowledged for making the squad recover team spirit. We had won so many titles that we had completely forgotten about the badge we wear. At one point we thought donning this shirt was enough to win games. We wouldn't have been able to pull off this season's comeback three years ago. This has been thanks to Capello."

BECKHAM

"He's been great for the Club, setting an example on and off the pitch with his personality and his joy. His personality shines through; he is a very Brazilian Englishman."

VAN NISTELROOY

"Ronaldo's like my brother, but Ruud is very good. Next year, Ronie will have scored 36 goals in Italy and the Dutchman will have scored at least 34 here. Together they would have lost many games because they don't defend."

SERGIO RAMOS

"He is in great shape. I prefer him as a centre back and I don't think it's good for him to change positions so much. I think versatility can be detrimental for a player."

ROBINHO

"He has to play more. Some days he'll do everything right and others he will screw up, but I'm still convinced he will be the world's number one player some day."

DRESSING ROOM LEADERS

"Raúl will always be the first captain and I think Casillas is also capable of playing that role."

REFEREES

"They're very good. In Italy, if a player goes down too easily the refs watch a replay on a screen and suspend him, although the match result isn't altered. I wish they did that in Spain."

LEAVING REAL MADRID

"I stand by my decision of leaving. I can't afford to take a step back. I did the same with Brazil. I didn't decide to leave the Club because of what happened in Munich. I don't have to apologize for that. The quarterfinals against Munich lasted for 180 minutes, not ten. I don't think I am to blame for what happened, but I think it's time for Marcelo and Torres to take over. What else can I win at Real Madrid? Disappointment? Pressure? I've won three European Cups, three Leagues and two Intercontinental Cups at this Club. I was League champion in my first year here and I will be a League champion again before I leave."

"People don't have to feel bad. Players like Di Stéfano, Puskas, Gento, Juanito, Santillana, Gordillo, Hugo Sánchez and Zidane have left this Club before me. Zidane could have stayed on, playing at a very high level in the ten most important League games and six or seven Champions League clashes, but he was exhausted. He suffered with the criticism he was getting. It's not easy to carry on when you have a wife, kids and enough money."

HIS FUTURE IN FOOTBALL

"I can still play two more years on a top team, after which I will go back to Brazil for a final season as player. I will become a coach when I retire. I feel better than ever. Next season you'll see I'm not finished. Not playing for four months has been good for me. If I thought I was getting old or felt tired I would go to Qatar, but I don't."

THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD

"Marcelo will have six great seasons at this Club. Torres will do great too. The Club will only need to sign a new number '3' if Salgado leaves."

"I have always seen myself as a left back. I wouldn't have been half the player I've been if I had been an attacking left winger. I wouldn't have had enough space. I don't have the element of surprise in me, and that defines an attacking left winger. Left backs like myself come from Brazil because we're not afraid of trying out different things. I've been a left back since I was 12 years old, professionally since Luxemburgo coached me at Palmeiras. I have always preferred attacking than running back to defend, as long as I did it responsibly. Things have been easy for me at Real Madrid. Every coach I've had has favoured me, although it's hard for a player like me to know exactly what to do. If you attack a lot people say you leave the back unprotected, and if you stay back they say you aren't as fit as you used to be. The hardest part of my job isn't putting the finishing touch on a ball, but being able to play the ball well after an 80 metre run."

THE BEST

"I have been surrounded by top quality players in the eleven years I've been at this Club. I have never played with mediocre players."

BALLON D'OR

"Cannavaro's award acknowledged the job defenders do. I didn't win when I was up for it because Ronaldo had a phenomenal World Cup."

Roberto Carlos wants to stay at Real?

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Real Madrid defender Roberto Carlos is reportedly talking to club directors about extending his contract when it expires at the end of the season.

"Great players want to play at Real Madrid and Roberto Carlos is a great player, the best in the world in his position," Madrid right back Cicinho told Punto Radio on Tuesday. "His wish to stay is great."

Cicinho said he and Roberto Carlos were still making common plans in Madrid, including setting up a kids' project together.

Roberto Carlos received heavy criticism in March after a 2-1 Champions League loss to Bayern Munich and said he would leave when his contract expired on June 30.

Roberto Carlos lost the ball right after kickoff and Bayern striker Roy Makaay scored 11 seconds after the starting whistle for the fastest goal in Champions League history.

His reputation has recovered since, especially after a last-gasp goal against Recreativo Huelva on Sunday that gave Madrid a 3-2 win and kept it top of the Spanish league standings. He sprinted 80 meters (yards) up the left flank and deftly lifted the ball past the defense into goal.

Roberto Carlos: Cicinho wrong on Real Madrid talks

tribalfooball.com - May 24, 2007

Roberto Carlos insists there's no going back on his decision to leave Real Madrid this summer.

Teammate Cicinho claimed yesterday that his fellow Brazilian was in talks with Real officials about staying on next season.

But Roberto Carlos said: "He is my friend and last night I spoke with him so that he does not say this sort of thing anymore. It is a decision that I have taken. Just as I did with the Brazilian Selecao, in which I left my place so that younger players could enter, I do so again for Real Madrid.

"I've been here for twelve years in which I have won every title and Marcelo, (Miguel) Torres and Raul Bravo can now carry on the same road.

"I leave my shirt with the No3 to another player and hope that he has the same luck that I have had. I am a little sad because I wanted to finish my career at Real Madrid, but has not been possible. I leave happy. I have two years left at the top level and will do my best try to continue winning titles."

Eleven years in White

"I'm very happy and especially thankful because these have been wonderful years"

Roberto Carlos and the press broke bread today on the occasion of the Brazilian star's farewell at season's end. It has been over a decade running up and down the left flank of Real Madrid. Many, many years and kilometres proving his tremendous quality, exquisite technique, and physical prowess... but above all what will linger is the attachment and love many professionals have worked up for Roberto Carlos. Real Madrid's number '3' will be playing his last game donning the White jersey at the Santiago Bernabéu on 17 June. It has been a total of eleven seasons, making him the foreign footballer with most games played in the Spanish League, earning him the recognition and appreciation of all the journalists who inform on Real Madrid's day-to-day.

At 34, Roberto Carlos has decided to put an end to his time at Real Madrid. On 17 June, when the referee blows the final whistle, the Brazilian will say goodbye to a fan base that has supported, adored, and admired him. Five Leagues, three Spanish Super Cups, three Champions League Cups, one European Super Cup, two Intercontinental Cups, one European Player of the Year runner-up and one FIFA World Player runner-up distinctions is the honour record tallied up by the Brazilian as a Madridista. The left wingback only has words of gratitude: “First of all, I want to thank you for these wonderful eleven years. All I have is great memories. I have made true friends here. Even though I am leaving, I will come back to Madrid often to be with you and enjoy the games and successes of Real Madrid.”

The press had many gifts for Roberto Carlos. One of them was a kimono signed by all the journalists who attended the luncheon. The most emotional moment of the event was when the audiovisual press gave the fullback a special video showcasing the best moments of Roberto Carlos at Real Madrid. The defender was visibly moved. “I would have liked to finish my career here because everything I have lived through has been good, but I still have another two years of top-level football and I will try to win more titles. I repeat, it's been many unbelievable years surrounded by people who have given me much. I am very happy and thankful for this,” said Roberto Carlos as he addressed the press.

Four years into his thirties, Roberto Carlos feels that he still has a number of good footballing years ahead of him, but maybe not enough to play two full seasons at top level. That is why he has decided to make way for the younger generations, the new pearls of Madridismo, stating, “I know Cicinho said that he didn't believe I would leave. He's my friend and he's stating what he would like, but I've made my mind up, like I did when I decided to quit the Brazilian national team. Players like Marcelo or Torres need opportunities. I only hope they have the same luck I had to win this many titles with Real Madrid.”

The lunch witnessed a good number of toasts, but the focus was primarily on the future. Roberto Carlos wants to say goodbye to what has been his home for eleven years winning what would be his sixth League title. That is why, although it was a day to celebrate, he didn't want to forget that Real Madrid have an all-important clash against Deportivo Coruña, stating, “There's three games left and I want to bid farewell with a title. It's entirely up to us. If Barça are talking so much about us now, our good luck, etc., it's because they're worried. They are not leaders any more and we have the upper hand now. The team is very confident and we know we can put the cherry to this season by winning the League.”

Roberto Carlos thanked the journalists for all these years of respect and affection. The defender will always be remembered by the Santiago Bernabéu faithful for his many personal values: an outgoing and cheerful personality, always very close to the fans, and his unrivalled sporting skills, which have turned him, without a doubt, into the best left wingback in the world.

Press views on Roberto Carlos

"The best left back of the decade is leaving us"

The undying bond between Roberto Carlos and Real Madrid fans is well known. The left back also has a special relationship with the journalists that cover the Club, and they organised a farewell luncheon for the Brazilian today. They all shared their views on the player and coincided in one thing: he is the best left back in football history and one of the best people to have played for Real Madrid.

Admiration, respect, fondness... These feelings were present in the farewell luncheon given by the media in honour of Roberto Carlos. They've shared with the player many training sessions, trips, matches, and many other unforgettable moments. Their last encounter with the player was on Sunday in the game against Recreativo Huelva, in which the Brazilian scored his team's goal of victory, keeping them in the lead of the League table. Roberto Carlos has been one of the Spanish media's favourite players since he arrived at the Club. Today, he received a plaque from the journalists, all of which wanted to share some words on the left back after the luncheon.

The press has always highlited Roberto's smile more than anything else, as he has always smiles through good, bad and sad times, such as today's farewell. "I want to thank all the journalists for this. No one has ever said such beautiful things to me. I will always cherish meeting some truly wonderful people. My heart stays here, but I'll be back. Madrid is my home. I want to thank all of you for making this day so special."

Susana Guasch (La Sexta)

"He is the best left back in football history. It will be hard to come accross a player with his characteristics; strength, speed and an incredible left leg that has brought joy to Real Madrid many times in the past ten years. The last time was in Huelva on Sunday, with a goal that could win the League for the Club."

Seiko (Spriket)

"He's done a great job for eleven years and we want to thank him for his warmth with the media. I am good friends with him and I will never forget him. He will leave a gap in the heart Madridismo."

Carlos Rodríguez (Onda Madrid)

"I will cry the day he leaves. I consider him to be one of the five most important players in the history of Real Madrid, not only because he is the foreign player to have played the most games, but for being a good footballer, fact proved by all the titles he's won. I think his humility and his selflessness are what makes him different from the rest."

Roberto Morales (Agencia EFE)

"We are saying good bye to the best left back the decade has seen. He is a true Madridista and he will always be acknowledged by the Club. Few players have done as much as he has for this team."

Cristina Castañer (Canal Plus)

"Roberto is a great football player, but above anything else, he is a good person. I hope life still smiles at him, like he always does."

Raquel Criado (Telemadrid)

"I was at Barajas Airport the day Roberto landed in Madrid and I am now here to bid him farewell. He is a great person. He's become a legend in Spanish football because no one runs down the left wing like he does."

Alfonso Celemín (TVE)

"Roberto Carlos is the foreign player to have played the most games at Real Madrid, even more than Di Stéfano, and that says it all. He is magnificent down the left wing."

Ramón Fuentes (Telecinco)

"I love him for what he is and how he is. I hope he never changes. He will never leave us. He leaves his mark wherever he goes."

Antonio Romero (Cadena SER)

"Vanity is now young players' greatest quality, even when they haven't won anything or showcased great football. They should go to a newspaper library and read about what Roberto has done to learn what a truly great player is really like, to learn what it is to be a great, humble player."

Javier Herranz (Onda Cero)

"It's easy to talk about Roberto Carlos; all you have to say is he's the best left back there is and will ever be in football. The best thing about him is that he is still as good when he leaves than when he arrives in the first place. He's proved that both at Real Madrid and the Brazil national team. He's been the best on and off the pitch, mainly because he is a great human being."

Cristina Montaña (Onda 6)

"I've spent little time with him, but it has been enough to make me remember him always."

Miguel Ángel Muñoz (Cadena COPE)

"I would have liked to congratulate him for winning the Ballon d'Or because, as we all know, he's always deserved to win it. He's truly earned it. I want to thank him for ten years of excellent behaviour both on and off the pitch. He sets an example with his good manners, joy and respect for others."

Blanca Benavent (La Razón)

"Roberto's carisma and warmth has made him one of the most appealing things at Real Madrid these last 12 years. It will be difficult to find someone like him again."

Ulises Sánchez Flor (Marca)

"He's been a colleague. He deserves the best and he will be successful wherever he goes. We will always remeber his generosity and joy. Madridismo will miss him. We just want to say, 'see you soon'."

Paco Navacerrada (Real Madrid press manager)

"He's been one of the best players in the world these past twelve years. It's been wonderful for me to share goals, titles and even bad times with him. It fills me with pride. We can boast of having been at his side and seen him donne this shirt."

Miguel Ángel Díaz (Radio Marca)

"Roberto never stops smiling and giving out good vibes. He is also a great football player. What esle can someone want?"

Óscar de Castro (Real Madrid TV)

"Many have said that he's a player who has never made an effort for the Club, but yet has earned many distinctions. Maybe he's got powerful friends... Not really! He's won all this because he's the best left back in football history. He is also the best person there is. The only award he lacks is the Ballon d'Or... Those who rule on the winner maybe don't know much about football...