Bellazon

Roberto Carlos
Thumbnail

Nicole

Zaragoza 2: César; Zapater, Sergio García, Gabriel Milito, Chus Herrero; D'Alessandro, Piqué, Celades (Lafita, min.), Aimar; Ewerthon (Movilla, min.55) and Diego Milito (Óscar, min.85).

Real Madrid 2: Casillas; Torres, Cannavaro, Roberto Carlos; Beckham, Diarra, Emerson (Guti, min.45), Robinho (Reyes, min.66); Raúl (Higuaín, min.45) and Van Nistelrooy.

Referee: Alberto Undiano Mallenco, Navarre Refereeing Association. Booked Helguera (min.33), Sergio Ramos (min.36), Diarra (min.65), and Sergio (min.77),

Goals:

1-0 (min.31): Penalty transformed by Diego Milito.

1-1 (min. 56): Header by Van nistelrooy de cabeza.

2-1 (min.63): Diego Milito after a service by Aimar.

2-2 (min. 88): Van Nistelrooy after a clearance inside the box.

Highlights: Matchday 37 of the Spanish Primera Division. Game played at the La Romareda stdaium. Attendance: 35,000. Prior to the beginning of the game, Zaragoza presented César Jiménez with the Gold and Diamond Insignia. The former player did the honourary kickoff on the day that marks his final goodbye to professional football due to a very serious injury.

Roberto Carlos press conference

"I want to be happy when I leave, with a title in my pocket and paying tribute to Madridismo"

Roberto Carlos, one of the most important footballers to have played for the Club, gave his last press conference as Real Madrid player this morning. The Brazilian is excited with the chance of leaving with another League title. At the end of the press conference, the journalists gave the player a standing ovation and praised him for being so kind and always having a smile on his face throughout these years.

Is the game against Mallorca the most important fixture of the season?

It is the most important game of the League. We've worked very hard to get here and we will face a very strong opponent. It will be a complicated game, despite what you all think. Mallorca have great players and it annoys me to hear and read we've practically won the game before it has taken place. I hope the fans take part in the game and that we are motivated enough to do our best to win. I'm sad for leaving after being at the Club for eleven years and it would be beautiful to be able to go with a new title in my pocket. We haven't won anything in three years and we had a poor start to the season, but we now have the chance of winning the championship, playing a great game and paying tribute to Madridismo on Sunday.

Three teams have chances of winning the title...

It's amazing to have three great teams fighting for the title. Barcelona are a fantastic side that have had chances of winning throughout the season, Sevilla have played the best football and have been the most regular side, and the greatness of our Club has allowed us to reach the top of the table. Mallorca are a quality team. They have a good coach and they have managed to win at the Bernabéu before. We have a lot of respect for them and we know the game will be complicated.

The three teams have Brazilians on their squads...

This makes our countrymen proud. It is an honour for us to represent Brazil in the Spanish League.

Did you ever think the League could end like this?

It would have been better to win three weeks ago, but it is also very beautiful to reach the end of the League with this pressure, knowing how close we are to winning the title.

Losing doesn't enter your plans.

We can't think about losing at the Bernabéu for the fans' sake. They will give us all their support now that we have recovered their confidence. We are living a great moment; we're earning good results, playing well and we are confident about winning. We have to continue playing this way. There's only one game left to end the season and we can't afford to give away the title after the great efforts we've done in the past ten months. We suffered at the start of the season, but we've enjoyed ourselves in the final stretch. We can't ruin all that now. Sunday will probably be one of the most important days of my life because we will play the most important game of the year.

Will you cry on Sunday?

It's very hard to make me cry... I'm working hard not to cry (laughs). I want to be happy in my farewell, but I must admit I never saw myself outside Real Madrid. I've had the chance of joining a team that can give me what I wanted from Real Madrid; I feel important again thanks to Fenerbache, but I am still happy here.

What made you decide to leave?

We simply didn't reach an agreement. I'm not going to blame anyone because I want to leave happily on Sunday. All the bad times and the controversies are now in the past. My contract ends on 30 June after eleven years at the Club, let's just leave it at that. Many people didn't believe I would leave. I've always been a Madridista. I've learned how to play and matured as a person at this Club. I have become a respected player all over the world thanks to Real Madrid. I will leave with my head held high, feeling fortunate for having played with such great players and being able to teach younger ones who were signed or promoted from the youth categories. I think everyone is happy with me. I've had the best years of my life at this Club, but I now have the chance of having a great future in Turkey and I will go there on Tuesday to start anew. I have many friends here, so you will still see me very often.

You are living your final moments with your friend David Beckham...

David is as sad as I am for leaving the best Club in the world. He is a great player and human being whom I deeply respect and am very fond of. I think he is recovering well. He seems to be walking without problems. I'm no doctor, but we all want him to play his best game on Sunday.

The President and Capello had lunch today. Do you think the latter will stay on as coach?

Will Robinho be able to play on Sunday?

I haven't talked to him about that, but we all want him to stay in Madrid and join Brazil next week. Real Madrid has to reach an agreement with the Brazilian FA. This always happens when an important League game takes place around the same time as international fixtures. The player is always the one who loses out in these situations.

He will be an important loss for Real Madrid.

He is an important player because he makes a difference. That's why Real Madrid have to reach an agreement with the Brazilian FA. He would be an important loss.

What have you lacked at Real Madrd?

I never won a King's Cup. Everything else has been great, especially the fans warmth. I've felt their support and fondness at traffic lights, restaurants... I've learned a lot here. I've had eleven unforgettable years, but the greatest players have also had to say goodbye at one point. Maradona, Pelé, Zidane... They all did. I can still play for three more years. These are strange days for me, but I only think about how grateful I am to everybody.

Who can replace you?

There are many good players out there. Torres and Marcelo are very young and very good. Raúl Bravo is a good left back, but I don't know what his future has in store. Real Madrid will be able to choose from many good left backs if he leaves. Someone else will donne the number '3' shirt next season.

This is the end of an era...

The team is currently being renovated. We've already had our best moments and now it's time for a change, to write a new episode in history with different players. The same happened to Di Stéfano and his lot. We were similarly successful. I am proud of having been part of such an important era at the Club.

Real Madrid vs Real Mallorca

GOALKEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Cannavaro, Marcelo, Roberto Carlos, Pavón and Salgado.

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho, Beckham, Emerson and Reyes.

FORWARDS: Raúl, Higuaín and Van Nistelrooy.

"The feeling of winning the title is incredible"

Not just anybody spends 11 years playing for Real Madrid, and Roberto Carlos is one of the few. On Sunday, the Brazilian played his final game in white, and he feels "fortunate" to have been a part of what this team has gone through. The left-back leaves the Madrid with one last thank you to the fans for the years of support and affection shown to him.

Roberto Carlos said goodbye to Real Madrid fans the best way imaginable: with the League title. He spent 11 years donning the white shirt, and although the Brazilian was extremely happy in his last minutes wearing the Madridista logo, the Brazilian also mentioned the mistakes made over the course of the season. "The feeling of winning the title is incredible. It's great seeing friends celebrate like this. I would rather remain calm than jump everywhere. It's a very important day for Madridismo. The football world is very weird. We suffered a lot and we want to look back at the beginning of the year when we weren't playing very well. That's what we have to think about."

The Brazilian was overcome with emotion, and he feels very fortunate to have experienced so much throughout this glorious stage of his career. He joined the club with a League title, and he says goodbye with another. "I have leaned a lot during my time here. Hala Madrid!. Anyone who comes here needs to know that football isn't always happy, but that you have to suffer a lot, fight to the finish, and have fun."