Bellazon

General gaming talk

Enrico_sw

On 11/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, Cult Icon said:

The Illusion world was great, that was the right option.  Orianna isn't in the books (so far..).  I just wondered if you realized that the original CGI trailer for the game was the ending!!

I remember this trailer, it's awesome and the tune they use is really beautiful.

Book 4 has the Witcher lawyer, a lot more Ciri/yennefer content, Vivaldi bankers, and introduces Emyras/Tywin so far. (first 2 hrs of the audiobook).  Also Velen! 

Keira Meitz, one of my favorite characters in the game.  She is basically Frenchkiki :D  She is mentioned by name but nothing else in book 3 IIRC.

It would have been cool if they made her one of the endgame romance options.

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

Call of Duty Vanguard looks beautiful. This is truly next gen!

The studio they hired to do the cutscenes did a great job.  The graphics look pretty good.  But the gameplay is 20 years old! they make the same game over and over again.

14 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The studio they hired to do the cutscenes did a great job.  The graphics look pretty good.  But the gameplay is 20 years old! they make the same game over and over again.

I guess it's true. It's funny because CoD is the opposite of Elden Ring: CoD offers an average gameplay, but the game engine is getting graphically better each time, while From Software still uses the same engine, but they have a great/diverse gameplay that they keep improving.

Don't get me wrong: Elden Ring's graphics are beautiful, and it's  mostly because the art direction is brilliant, but the engine is getting old. Demon's souls remake on PS5 (developed by Bluepoint) use a way better engine (that feels next gen).

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

I guess it's true. It's funny because CoD is the opposite of Elden Ring: CoD offers an average gameplay, but the game engine is getting graphically better each time, while From Software still uses the same engine, but they have a great/diverse gameplay that they keep improving.

Don't get me wrong: Elden Ring's graphics are beautiful, and it's  mostly because the art direction is brilliant, but the engine is getting old. Demon's souls remake on PS5 (developed by Bluepoint) use a way better engine (that feels next gen).

It's funny how they outsourced Demon's souls and that developer has better graphics than the FROMSOFT.  But definitely, gameplay + good enough graphics >>> graphics + bad gameplay every time.

When the original COD came out it was a game-changer.  I played the single player many times and played the multiplayer a lot.  It had great graphics and better gameplay than any other WW2 shooter.  The COD Modern warfare was also a game-changer in the same respect. 

But since then the single player campaign has become the junk food of shooters, they focus on graphics and roller-coaster set pieces.

I notice that FROMSOFT is getting some flack about the outdated graphics.  It might be because Miyaziki doesn't want to spend money and time re-coding a new game with a new engine.  I have noticed how FROMSOFT often reuses assets and animations throughout their games to save time and money, and also make the newest game more interesting.  It is smart to me how they have enough new content to "hide" the re-use of the old stuff somewhat.  

On 11/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, Cult Icon said:

With vampires, I haven't met them yet.  I know that Regis, who is very important in Blood and Wine is a big character in the books.   I always felt that, when I was watching Blood and Wine- that I was missing a lot about what was going on with Regis.  

The Regis and Geralt "old buddies' relationship" is a great part of B&W.

A nostalgic discussion with a friend on a twilight is one of these rare and great things in life. This scene encapsulates it perfectly. And I like how Geralt breaks the 4th wall in the end.

13 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Wow, it looks even better than in the trailer!

I watched some more (a lot of videos are on youtube now), this game is basically Dark Souls 4.  Also, players have commented that the game is very long.   There seems to be a lot of gameplay options and there are lots of different bosses.  There are so many bosses right from the start that this game could have the most bosses of any souls game.

However I am skeptical about the value of open world.  The game seems more "empty" than before now, and the player has to do a lot more traveling around.  There are less bog standard enemies and more bosses.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:06 PM, Enrico_sw said:

I hadn't seen this trailer before... and, well, it's slightly caricatural (just slightly) :rofl:

This game had some of the most visually appealing AC setpieces ever,  I kind of remember however that it got slammed for having some bugs.