Jump to content

Cult Icon

Hellboy (2019)

Recommended Posts

One of the best American comic franchises is going to get a new movie!

 

David Harbour as Hellboy.  It's a lot more menacing than the Ron Perlman version.

 

DJodRG2WsAEl4p-.jpgbYC97OT.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, one of the best comics! I liked Ron Perlman a lot. He had a spontaneous acting. I'm not sure about this new guy, but we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose to be fair, Del Toro's team created such a fantastic costume that a more drastic departure might have just looked like change for the sake of change, but I honestly thought that they might have been tempted to give Hellboy glowing eyes, like he has in the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 oh wow, it's about the "Blood Queen!"  That's from the story arc that centered on slavic/english mythology

 

Hellboy-Blood-Queen-comic-609x500.jpglatest?cb=20140824011030

 

On 9/15/2017 at 7:54 AM, Michael* said:

I suppose to be fair, Del Toro's team created such a fantastic costume that a more drastic departure might have just looked like change for the sake of change, but I honestly thought that they might have been tempted to give Hellboy glowing eyes, like he has in the books.

 

The main issue I have with this new hellboy is that he looks like a menacing demon.  Hellboy is not edgy.  He's a tired,. reluctant warrior and a prism for the reader/viewer (the only voice of simple human decency in an insane world).  Hellboy is very much like the GI Joes from Bill Mauldin comics (probably one of the inspirations for the author) :  

 

UpFrontB.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a lot of fun and I see the influence of the comics.  However, some caveats: The hellboy actor looks and sounds stilted, - so far he looks like a discount version of Ron Perlman.  The comic influences look scattered around and not coherent.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2018 at 1:03 AM, Cult Icon said:

Looks a lot of fun and I see the influence of the comics.  However, some caveats: The hellboy actor looks and sounds stilted, - so far he looks like a discount version of Ron Perlman.  The comic influences look scattered around and not coherent. 

 

I get the impression that instead of doing a different take on the comics, they're trying a different take on the movies, which never really matched the source material perfectly but had the visual flair of Del Toro to offset the difficulty of adapting Mignola's tone to the big screen. The "R rated with a lot of violence" angle somehow feels less like Hellboy to me, and while there was never any doubt that this would incorporate violent themes, most of the stuff in the books was depicted with subtlety or left entirely to the imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael* said:

 

I get the impression that instead of doing a different take on the comics, they're trying a different take on the movies, which never really matched the source material perfectly but had the visual flair of Del Toro to offset the difficulty of adapting Mignola's tone to the big screen. The "R rated with a lot of violence" angle somehow feels less like Hellboy to me, and while there was never any doubt that this would incorporate violent themes, most of the stuff in the books was depicted with subtlety or left entirely to the imagination.

 

The movie trailer makes it look like they are going for a "deadpool"- humor, breaking the 4th wall and such.  There is little indication of powerful mystery/ story/mythology- which was the genius of Mignola's work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 11:38 PM, Cult Icon said:

The movie trailer makes it look like they are going for a "deadpool"- humor, breaking the 4th wall and such.  There is little indication of powerful mystery/ story/mythology- which was the genius of Mignola's work.

 

Always loved the 'existential horror' feel that Mignola brought to his stories, I've been dreaming of seeing a good adaptation of that for quite a while.

 

Slightly random aside but when Ian McShane spoke in the trailer, it made me realise just how crucial John Hurt was to the initial movies and how enjoyable he was in the role. However it's precisely because Hurt so perfectly embodied the comic book character that I don't mind McShane basically just playing himself in this one. I’d rather see a new take than an imitation of what's already been done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trailer #2.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2019 at 9:51 AM, Michael* said:

 

Always loved the 'existential horror' feel that Mignola brought to his stories, I've been dreaming of seeing a good adaptation of that for quite a while.

 

Slightly random aside but when Ian McShane spoke in the trailer, it made me realise just how crucial John Hurt was to the initial movies and how enjoyable he was in the role. However it's precisely because Hurt so perfectly embodied the comic book character that I don't mind McShane basically just playing himself in this one. I’d rather see a new take than an imitation of what's already been done.

 

Hurt and Perlmann were perfect for the roles- it's hard to see anyone who could do better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Hellboy is getting bad reviews

 

Oof. :sad:

 

Some of the bite-sized reviews I've seen up to now read like Del Toro diehards upset that he didn't get to do a third film. Either way, I'll probably still go and see it, but if I said this wasn't a little deflating to the enthusiasm, I'd be lying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, Michael* said:

 

Oof. :sad:

 

Some of the bite-sized reviews I've seen up to now read like Del Toro diehards upset that he didn't get to do a third film. Either way, I'll probably still go and see it, but if I said this wasn't a little deflating to the enthusiasm, I'd be lying.

 

I'm still interested in it for the imagery- it's as if the director read the comics and then mashed so much of it together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I'm still interested in it for the imagery- it's as if the director read the comics and then mashed so much of it together

 

Indeed, from what I've heard, the movie is essentially a selection of Hellboy's 'greatest hits' interspersed with a lot of gore and schlocky action sequences.

 

It was curious to hear, what with the vast majority of the comics featuring an older, more world weary version of Hellboy, that they went for another 'emotionally immature' take on the character here. That was an idea that seemingly came directly from Del Toro, and I would have thought, since this was supposed to be a new vision, that they would have tried something a little different with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps unsurprisingly given the recent reviews, it's not been an auspicious opening weekend, with the movie taking twelve million dollars against a budget of fifty. For comparison's sake, Hellboy '04 took $23m on its opening weekend, while Golden Army made $34.5m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...