Bellazon

The Political Correctness Haters' Club

Sarah.Adams

I suggest the function of the modern "epic" is to participate form of cartharsis, leaving the drudgery of routine life to participate in peak experiences.  This requires that the audience identify with the main character(s) emotionally.  If the actors are badly casted or written in an unsympathetic way, the link between the audience and screenplay/show/game is broken.   Woke-fying movies/shows seriously disrupts the process, and breaks immersion especially if you don't relate to these types of characters.   

For me personally, the superhero craze has alienated me because I don't have sympathy for the majority of superheroes.  : 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis

"Catharsis (from Greek κάθαρσις, katharsis, meaning "purification" or "cleansing" or "clarification") is the purification and purgation of emotions—particularly pity and fear—through art[1] or any extreme change in emotion that results in renewal and restoration."

"Émile Durkheim[36] proposed emotional stages of social sharing:

Directly after emotional effects, the emotions are shared. Through sharing, there is a reciprocal stimulation of emotions and emotional communion.

This leads to social effects like social integration and strengthening of beliefs.

Finally, individuals experience a renewed trust in life, strength, and self-confidence."

From what I've seen, the Polish Witcher movie is a very solidly acted/casted show, low budget and aimed at a Polish audience.  Not sure what the complaints were about, it is fine for a cheap show shot in 2000-2001.   Like the netflix show the movie makes the mistake of focusing too much on the court drama however I don't know if they did that for the 11 hr show.

Polish witcher has fairly simple camerawork and lacks the close-ups of a hollywood production.   The only glaring issue with the show is the amateurishly done action scenes and the very terrible monster effects.  The costumes are good, the casting is authentic, the setting is Eastern european.  The writing is fine and bascially book-loyal, with minor plot changes

The Geralt in this show acts basically like a normal guy, and not like monotone-Batman Geralt.  The Yennefer is well casted, although I would like her to be prettier (than she already is).  The Dandelion casting is more along the lines of a doofus.  The little girl they hired to play Ciri is book accurate but the girl is too..ordinary looking to me.  Not like a child Dakota Fanning or something.  

I think a big budget, non-woke version of the Witcher could proceed along these lines, and end up looking like the Witcher 3 game but live-action.  They could hire more flashy english-speaking actors and would have better sets, directing, action, and special effects.

On 1/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, Cult Icon said:

I suggest the function of the modern "epic" is to participate form of cartharsis, leaving the drudgery of routine life to participate in peak experiences.  This requires that the audience identify with the main character(s) emotionally.  If the actors are badly casted or written in an unsympathetic way, the link between the audience and screenplay/show/game is broken.   Woke-fying movies/shows seriously disrupts the process, and breaks immersion especially if you don't relate to these types of characters.   

For me personally, the superhero craze has alienated me because I don't have sympathy for the majority of superheroes.  : 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis

"Catharsis (from Greek κάθαρσις, katharsis, meaning "purification" or "cleansing" or "clarification") is the purification and purgation of emotions—particularly pity and fear—through art[1] or any extreme change in emotion that results in renewal and restoration."

"Émile Durkheim[36] proposed emotional stages of social sharing:

Directly after emotional effects, the emotions are shared. Through sharing, there is a reciprocal stimulation of emotions and emotional communion.

This leads to social effects like social integration and strengthening of beliefs.

Finally, individuals experience a renewed trust in life, strength, and self-confidence."

I definitely agree with this view.

I don't get why Wikipedia says Catharsis is particularly about pity and fear, because it can also work with anger, sadness, compassion, etc.

I actually think that anger and fear can be purged through video games (at least that's the case for me). Killing monsters in the Witcher or shooting bad guys in a FPS or even kicking mobsters' asses in Batman games really help young'uns regulate their passions.

Woke movies remind us too much about real life and these painful/useless debates who divide people. But people want to evade that. And of course they make everything unrealistic to the point that the suspension of disbelief gets regularly stabbed in the back....

3 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

From what I've seen, the Polish Witcher movie is a very solidly acted/casted show, low budget and aimed at a Polish audience.  Not sure what the complaints were about, it is fine for a cheap show shot in 2000-2001.   Like the netflix show the movie makes the mistake of focusing too much on the court drama however I don't know if they did that for the 11 hr show.

Polish witcher has fairly simple camerawork and lacks the close-ups of a hollywood production.   The only glaring issue with the show is the amateurishly done action scenes and the very terrible monster effects.  The costumes are good, the casting is authentic, the setting is Eastern european.  The writing is fine and bascially book-loyal, with minor plot changes

The Geralt in this show acts basically like a normal guy, and not like monotone-Batman Geralt.  The Yennefer is well casted, although I would like her to be prettier (than she already is).  The Dandelion casting is more along the lines of a doofus.  The little girl they hired to play Ciri is book accurate but the girl is too..ordinary looking to me.  Not like a child Dakota Fanning or something.  

I think a big budget, non-woke version of the Witcher could proceed along these lines, and end up looking like the Witcher 3 game but live-action.  They could hire more flashy english-speaking actors and would have better sets, directing, action, and special effects.

Fair points.

You should write a letter to Netflix (I'm serious BTW, I think fans should send reasonable, well argumented critics to writers). In fact, given how disconnected "official critics" (from newspapers / cable news) are from the general audience, companies like Netflix could really benefit from a more organized feedback from their audience (not just the like/dislike button, cause it really takes people for fools :/).

Dragon Age inquisition is a good example of "organic" diversity (I hate this word BTW, using it is like considering humans as cattle IMHO).

Anyway, Dragon Age is a globalized fictional world with people from very different regions. You can even think of it as a mixture of a Roman-style globalisation, fantasy and medieval tropes. It's not an Eastern medieval world like the Witcher and it has very different regions with very different climates so it works (I guess you'd have to admit that in this world, the climate changes very rapidly from one region to another - or that horses are very fast..... - but it definitely works)

BTW, Neflix stock is tanking.... And it started happening after the repetitive release of Ultra Woke shows. But journalists see it "as a coincidence" and they think "there's nooooo link, no, no, no". Who would've thought that moralists would be blind about the ultra-moral trend they defend? :rolleyes:

https://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/monthly_2022_01/1939382793_Netflixaction.jpg.d16f211b4659daee0eb3cf4e9c47c3e3.jpg

So long, Netflix :wave:

1986002077_Getwokegobroke.thumb.JPG.177ba318f79d6144cf3cfaeb894ef5e4.JPG

This is a very strange take. People have freedom which means they also have the right to not be associated with certain companies or individuals.

Considering that Spotify paid him crazy money and thus he constitutes a serious investment for them, they aren't going to boot Rogan off their platform.

Or it would take an artist of the current stature of Taylor Swift to threaten to pull her content. Which isn't going to happen.

But I don't see the issue if some people don't want to share a platform with Rogan.

A lot of the people who supposedly love freedom of expression are of the "freedom for me, not for thee" persuasion.

Rogan broadcasting anti-vax messages and Young & Mitchell not wanting to be associated with Spotify any more because of it are two expressions of an opinion. But apparently only one of those is allowed by the freedom of speech champions.

28 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

A lot of the people who supposedly love freedom of expression are of the "freedom for me, not for thee" persuasion.

Rogan broadcasting anti-vax messages and Young & Mitchell not wanting to be associated with Spotify any more because of it are two expressions of an opinion. But apparently only one of those is allowed by the freedom of speech champions.

Libertarianism is about questioning and criticizing the establishment and the government, which is conceptually very healthy. 

But today's form of libertarianism has deep dived into the rabbit hole of poorly educated, poorly sourced conspiracy theories with low accuracy.  Challenging the establishment and the government should require standards and proof.  Conspiracy theories that don't harm people in real life are more easy to ignore.   I can understand why some people are anti-Rogan as they know his platform has power of influencing the minds of his followers and the misinformation spread by Rogan can get people killed by COVID-19.

In practical terms I don't get why people are mad at Mitchel & Young.

Rogan won! And he was always going to win. They gave him a 100 million dollar deal.

Pulling the plug on his podcast would have serious financial implications.

A few old rockers taking their content off the platform is something that barely matters in comparison.

4 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

In practical terms I don't get why people are mad at Mitchel & Young.

Rogan won! And he was always going to win. They gave him a 100 million dollar deal.

Pulling the plug on his podcast would have serious financial implications.

A few old rockers taking their content off the platform is something that barely matters in comparison.

oh lol I didn't even read the social media message, just read your post. 

The usual bias of the left vs right never ending feud.  The left considers Joe Rogan one of the right wing grifters (the libertarian/conservative info-entertainment business).  

The funny thing to me that the last time I watched Joe Rogan he revealed that he takes testerone replacement therapy and recommends it for older men.  He does drugs of various types, gets synthetic hormones, on top of that possibly takes steriods/HGH but he won't get vaccinated.  Sometimes fishy here. this looks like bandwagon jumping :confused:

8 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

It's not as interesting as what I wanted it to be. They're just describing the phenomenon without really explaining its root causes.

Feminism in the US gained a lot of mileage in the 1960s onward.   It was a reaction to economic/social developments of the 1950s as women left the home and started working a lot.  Before that it was just a small scale interest. 

In the 1950s feminist intellectuals started getting popular.