Bellazon

Natasha Poly
Thumbnail

sedirea

Vogue Russia July 2008

th_68647_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-01_122_702lo.jpgth_68650_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-02_122_337lo.jpgth_68663_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-03_122_726lo.jpg

th_68741_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-04_122_490lo.jpgth_68806_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-05_122_1187lo.jpgth_68807_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-06_122_8lo.jpg

th_68872_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-07_122_1173lo.jpgth_68888_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-08_122_22lo.jpgth_68891_achAT_Natasha_Poly_2008-07_vor-irw-09_122_485lo.jpg

scanned by achAT

And translation by blueberry_night

There is a great demand for Russian top model Natalia Polevshchikova. She is at shows in Milan and Paris, at shoots in NY and billboards with her face are all over the world. Agents shortened her last name to Poly, but we can pronounce it fully. Especially when meeting her at mother land.

She runs into the studio with uncombed wet hair. She wears skinny jeans and leather jacket. With no make up. Even our fashion editor Simon Robins, who has just worked with her at shoot, hardly believes his eyes: “Who will say that this girl has been shot in the ad by David Lynch himself?”. 23 year old Poly hardly believes it herself :

- I’ve never considered myself beautiful. Any model in a magazine is wonderful, there are legends about their beauty. But I’ve been teased as maypole (?) at school. Boys thought I was too tall and too skinny. So there was nothing about shoots or ads.

But anyway she dreamed about being in those glossy pages. Therefore, when she knew about model contest in her hometown Perm, Natasha took heels, adding to her 178 cm extra 10. That initative was carefully hidden from her father, strict colonel (policeman?). Worth it mentioning that she won the contest? But such thing can’t be hidden. You can say that this is a very banal way of starting a career. However banal things often work. And sometimes even better than swiss watch. Of course she didn’t have one, but several turns of hands and model Natalia Polevshchikova is already in Moscow. She was third at another model contest, and after that she was on plane flying to Milan.

In the year 2000 russian models ran a race with French, American and Italian fellows on the Milan cube from Dolce&Gabbana show to Bottega Veneta casting. And they weren’t the last ones. Everybody had no more than 50 euros and dim perpectives in the future. Natasha ran no less than others:

- It was hard. I din’t spoke Italian or any other language. I even couldn’t buy anything in shops. Pizza of course is everywhere pizza, but you know there’s a diet. Once I tried to buy tea. Litterally I was choosing from the picture, but what do you think was in the box? There was canned meat! Fortunately, it’s hard to die from hunger in Italy. Also our girls are known as those who won’t be lost wherever they are. In addition, favorite chocolate and coca-cola have international names.

After hundreds of casting and the same amount of phrases “we will contact you” a phone rang, and Natasha finally got her first role – job for Prada show room. Ant then everything rushed. Two months made her really independent:

- You know. When you are all alone without mom and dad you have to mature quickly. Childhood ends here. There are words “life will teach you” – now I know what it means.

Life isn’t a bad teacher but school education won’t be out of place. So Natasha decided to return to Perm in order to finish school. She didn’t cancel fashion shoots, she even had en ed in Russain Vogue, she has just changed her priorities.

That time went fast. Having her school diplom she had one thought in her mind: “Paris. Work. Urgently.”

- In that time I really understood that I have to be model. And my family supported me. My relatives even were ready to be shot with me. Dad was photographed recently.

Aussie Matt Irwin decided to go to the Natasha’s hometown and shoot her in the “native interior”. You can see the result in this mag. Her brother showed up in the Japan mag:

- He was the one who didn’t like that. He couldn’t wait till the end and repated: “Oh my god! What are they doing ti u? Your face is severe. And why do u need those thick eyebrows? It’s not beautiful!” The shoot took about two hours, but he only was saying: “I’m going to faint. Anyone, give me coca-cola!”

Natasha never let herself be such a diva. Maybe a little in the beginning.

-“Don’t pull out my hair! I’m cold! I want to eat! I’m cold!”- now I’m ashamed of myself – the girl frowning, who walks six shows a day, who is shot for French and Russian Vogue, Numero and W, who is a face of Ralph Lauren and Gucci campaigns and who has a title of the most patient model.

Any photographer who worked with her can prove that. Mario Sorrenti, Mario Testino, Anny Leibovitz and Patrick Demarchelier are among them.

I always try to understand what kind of emotion photographer wants from me. I’m not just standing motionlessly. It’s very interesting to try on hundreds of different images but always stay who you really are. Don’t become someone else just live your life - that is Natasha’s current motto. I respect my family for that feature and looking for that in other people. I think Scarlett Johansson is someone like this. And my friend Eugenia Volodina too.

English stylist Katy Grand adores Natasha.

-She is just a miracle! Literally she is one of the most amazing girls I’m working with.

Probably designers think the same way. With every season she has more shows in her schedule and she doesn’t go away without a present from those shows.

-Here are Chanel piton boots. They are so beautiful I’m even afraid to wear them.

And we wish it was the biggest fear of the girl from Perm who is bravely goes across the field of fashion battle.