Bellazon

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt plus its Expansions

Cult Icon

On 8/22/2019 at 6:59 AM, Cult Icon said:

How do you tell with the Irish?

The clan system, some of the landscapes, the celtic names and references. Also, the voice actors have a strong Irish accent.

But they are also mixed with Scandinavian elements: the viking spirit, some of the landscapes, some of the names.

I think the islander mentality that skellige has is more Irish than Scandinavian.

The Nilfgaardians don't seem Roman to me- mainly medieval english

- Their organised army look very Roman (some of their shields look roman, but their armor are a bit too heavy to be Roman imho, it's more medieval).

- Nilfgaard have a sun as an emblem and they come from a warm place (like Rome). England is a wet and cold place...:cain:

- Rome was an empire like Nilfgaard, whereas medieval England was barely a kingdom. The medieval english army was pretty weak (medieval France beat Medieval England a lot - in fact, England should've been a French province :cain:). England became "something" after the industrial revolution.

Blood and Wine is France-oriented BTW :D

It looks like the South of France, not all France (but I haven't played it already, I just saw pictures).

It's interesting to see how Dandelion evolved throughout the series. He looks more and more feminine, for some reason. Also, his young voice makes him sound a little hysterical (I guess it's intended), while his older voice (the one in the loading screen) is really good, more serious and intense.

latest?cb=20080922230339latest?cb=20100419180154latest?cb=20150216151806

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 11:35 AM, Enrico_sw said:

The clan system, some of the landscapes, the celtic names and references. Also, the voice actors have a strong Irish accent.

But they are also mixed with Scandinavian elements: the viking spirit, some of the landscapes, some of the names.

I think the islander mentality that skellige has is more Irish than Scandinavian.

- Their organised army look very Roman (some of their shields look roman, but their armor are a bit too heavy to be Roman imho, it's more medieval).

- Nilfgaard have a sun as an emblem and they come from a warm place (like Rome). England is a wet and cold place...:cain:

- Rome was an empire like Nilfgaard, whereas medieval England was barely a kingdom. The medieval english army was pretty weak (medieval France beat Medieval England a lot - in fact, England should've been a French province :cain:). England became "something" after the industrial revolution.

I can see the Roman influence on a second look.  With the voice actors, they do use a lot of Irish ones instead of scandi ones.  The Irish accent is far more distinctive and has more personality than nordic accents.

The Hearts of Stone story and adventure is very moving.  There are also multiple options to go with the final conversations with his wife (and multiple endings).  They can be found on youtube.   It seems to me that the final expansion is the bigger one and with new areas to explore.

I remember watching this for some background info (on the folklore that inspired the expansion):

@Prettyphile Which is your favorite part of the game (and expansions)? I have really played Blood & Wine yet, but Hearts of stone is my favorite so far. It seems to take place in some everlasting autumn, with dead leaves, orange/brown colors everywhere. It's filled with nostalgia and flames.

I really like HoS' charcaters. CD Projekt are very good at making stories.

------

It's funny because HoS (and Velen/Novigrad) seems to be in some kind of everlasting autumn, Skellige is winter, Toussaint seems to be Summer, Kaer Morhen looks like spring (where kids become witchers).

Or maybe I'm just imagining stuff:Kung_fu_wft:

• 2 weeks later...