Bellazon

Fernanda Ly
Thumbnail

RebelleFleur

jpeg_output_quality_75.jpg10_things_you_need_to_know_about_fernand10_things_you_need_to_know_about_fernand10_things_you_need_to_know_about_fernand

10 things you need to know about fernanda ly

Fernanda Ly is the pink-haired new face who stole the show from seasoned supermodels Freja Beha Erichsen and Liya Kebede at Louis Vuitton this season.

A wise, wise woman called Iris Apfel, once said, "If your hair is done properly and you have on good shoes, you can get away with anything." And alongside Lineisy Montero's afro, 19-year-old Fernanda Ly was the model with the mostest at autumn/winter 15 fashion month. Following in the footsteps of Freja and Liya, Fernanda stepped onto the Louis Vuitton runway fresh as a daisy last season, and within seconds was the name on everyone's lips. That's the power of a haircut for you. And social media. Hailing from the sunny south-west suburbs of Sydney, Australia, the Manic Panic Cotton Candy Pink-haired model is now signed to Viva London, currently on leave from her architecture course, and living "as of recent, somewhere in the air between JFK and CDG airport." Here are the 10 things you need to know about Fernanda...

1. Her first reaction when she found out she was going to be walk the Louis Vuitton show was...
"Disbelief. Afterwards however, amazement followed by excitement."

2. Aside from LV, her fave modelling job so far is...
"Shooting with Nastygal! Everyone was so fun to work with and they let me take really good cookies home. I wish I knew where they were from..."

3. Shit got cray after she walked LV...
"People are asking me for interviews and I'm in New York right now! My recognition rate in public has also risen, which is pretty crazy."

4. She first hit the bottle at age 15...
"I tried to go blonde only to end up a very coppery orange. I dyed it pink a little bit before I turned 17."

5. Her hairspirations are:
"Eva Cheung and fairy floss."

6. She's in love with...
"Ice cream. Recently I have also reignited my passion for scones and cute latte art."

7. It's hard to top the initial hair bleaching at 15, but the next most rebellious thing she's ever done is... 
"Possibly processing my leave of absence request at university without letting anyone know beforehand (sorry Mum and Dad)."

8. She blushed last night...
"Eating cheesy ddeokbokki in Koreatown - initially my cheeks flushed then my whole face went red."

9. She likes sweet treats and Japanese video games. This is what she gets up to in her time off...
"Cafe/dessert/sweets hunting and reading. Occasionally I'm playing Love Live: School Idol Festival (a Japanese rhythm game) on my phone."

10. Her dream is delicious...
"The owner of a relatively successful ice cream store with franchises across the globe."

i-d.vice

Dazed 100

screen-shot-2016-02-22-at-12-34-56-pm.jpg_w_736.jpg1159343.jpg

All clothes and accessories Louis Vuitton SS16Photography Collier Schorr, styling Robbie Spencer

Fernanda Ly is the Pepto-haired Australian model defying convention with her goth style and poker-straight pink locks. Since first spellbinding audiences at the AW15 Louis Vuitton show, she has brought a rebellious youthfulness to the Vuitton girl ideal.

Scouted in a Sydney mall at the age of 16, it was Ly’s hair experiment that caught the attention of the French fashion house, who whisked her away to Paris overnight while she was holidaying in New York. Now with her architecture degree on hold, the model has become a fashion stalwart, with “platform boots and school uniforms” her garments of choice.

After Vuitton cut her Stateside holiday short, Ly flew to back NYC and has since worked industry-wide on campaigns, editorials and features alike. SS16 saw her close the LV resort show in Palm Springs and star in the brand’s AW15 Series 3 campaign. But more than just her work, Ly represents continuing changes in the fashion industry’s diversity stakes. In fact, it’s the “vastly different cultures and people you are able to encounter while casually waiting for a casting” that Ly most enjoys about her work, a positive byproduct of the widening acceptance of both racial and stylistic difference supported by the industry’s biggest houses.

Text Tom Rasmussen