Bellazon

Roosmarijn de Kok
Thumbnail

FashionDream

Wow it's been a long while since I've been on here :smile: Roos looks amazing in all of the VS!! Love it, thank y'all for posting. 

Here's a shoot (I think a test shoot) she did recently.

Photographer Kyle Deleu

Stylist Kristine Souza Monasterio

Hair Benoit Moeyaert

Makeup Raul Otero 

this is the same team she worked with for VS by the way. 

15803555_377746612588461_2899325906617106432_n.thumb.jpg.9a82dd789f87f2aef433946a2a8b29e6.jpg16229083_1206103392842629_6518482387809075200_n.thumb.jpg.20860be371a3de51b6fe201046b7e6a3.jpg16583511_1316506105097609_2711286096594993152_n.thumb.jpg.e78ae48db1f43e2c251bfaab5c2c3b1a.jpg

I just found this article written by Roos's Health & Wellness Consultant Joe Holder in Dec 2016! It is about a certain technique he used for Roos's training. Might be interesting to see what it takes for her to get in that shape :smile: I just pasted the article here in case it gets taken down, but there's a link below if you want to read it at the original website!

The Curious Case of Controlled Catabolism

Recapping ’16 with an quick deep dive into exploring how we created success with one of my clients, Roosmarijn de Kok and met her wellness goals

“Your body fat percentage won’t change..but you’ll still meet your goals”

I work out of a facility that is centered around body composition, which isn’t a typical approach for boutique gyms.

Roosmarijn de Kok (aka Roos), was no typical client, so it seemed fitting that she would seek out an non traditional training style. As a rising model here in NYC, Roos came to me with goals I often hear as a trainer: tone specific areas, lose weight (~10 lbs), etc. However, there were a few issues with these requests:

1.   Roos was by all objective standards, thin. Upon completing her body composition examination via Inbody I was given this shape, which means that her weight and muscle mass were in symmetry and her body fat was pretty low. You typically don’t try to fix which isn’t really broken.

2.   She couldn’t move. At All. We laugh about this now but in all seriousness, this was a major issue. When she squatted, I could immediately tell why she complained of knee pain due to a squat that was front loaded but had no hip extension. When I tested her core, I could immediately tell why she had back pain. This lack of mobility         was a primary reason certain areas wouldn’t “tone up”. Roos’ muscles simply weren’t awake and being utilized properly.

So, I had to explore this from a few avenues:

-  Roos had to move better. It didn’t have to be textbook, but improvement was a must (corrective)

-  Which would then cause her work capacity to increase (performance).

-  Additionally I had to make sure she lost weight (body composition)

-  All the while, ensuring she worked within a deficit that did not impair her recovery/performance/mental well-being(nutrition/wellness).

I had some work cut out for me but was excited.

Most people often go right to the thought of attacking body fat when exploring weight reduction. However for women (especially when they are already healthy and/or within that “athletic” range for body fat percentage), gross reduction and the impact it can have on the female athlete can be troublesome. Additionally, the importance of fat in vitamin storage, cell membrane functioning, mood, etc is key. For this reason, sometimes you tell people they actually need to put ON fat.

The case against attacking only body fat

-  Likelihood of success based on data was low.

-  The role of fat in women is too important to mess with if they are already low (Female Triad)

-  Body fat mass, since it was so low, would not do much in terms of overall mass reduction

Gathering this data led me to the realization that it was more important to keep her muscle/body fat at the proper ratio (that J shape) than to seek just a reduction in body fat percentage as that could only happen a.) strong drop in body fat (unlikely as it was already so low) b.) increase in muscle mass (client’s goals weren’t in line with this).

So, while her body fat overall may slightly reduce, the other numbers that are taken into consideration when dealing with body fat percentage (Total Body Water, Dry Lean Mass) would have to change in accordance with body fat so a relative homeostasis was kept in terms of her percentage while she was losing weight. If she was going to lose weight, it would have to come from the following areas:

-  Reduction of muscle mass (but not at expense of performance, well-being, or strength. Have anthropomorphic augmentation similar to a distance athlete, not just due to prolonged inactivity)

-  Reduction of fat mass

-  Prevention of edema (problematic water retention often result of improper recovery, diet,etc.)

After the initial process of fixing her movement patterns (addressing adductor restriction, glute inactivity, hip stabilization/strength, and general core control will go a long way) so performance could improve, we then still had to augment body composition in a noticeable way. This led me to think of controlled catabolism coupled with a trick used in triathlete and endurance training.

The Case for Controlled Catabolism

Catabolism has a bad connotation but the process of catabolism and anabolism is consistently taking place at all times in the body to maintain a baseline and also, dependent upon the individual, create physiological changes. These two together compose what people colloquially understand as metabolism. In short, catabolism breaks down things like food or polymers (starch to a simpler sugar) so the body can quickly use it as energy and also engage in the anabolic activities, like repair and maintenance of existing tissues.

Roos was losing mass, which meant that she entered a net catabolic zone via controlled and not severe caloric restriction. (However, this didn’t put Roos in the much chagrined “catabolic state” that is often lamented about and more associated with sickness.)

So Roos, needed to be put in a controlled catabolic state that would not hinder her overall health. This meant creating a framework outside of the gym that would ensure she met her goals. We then approached performance/fitness, wellness, and nutrition in a systematic fashion as laid out below.

Performance/Fitness

Apply a performance hack utilized in endurance athletes that help them improve body composition but does not impair their athletic performance in a negative way — train harder in evening (when strength/anaerobic activity can be enhanced due to increase in body temp ) in a non totally depleted carbohydrate state for about an hour, replenish for recovery but not for glycogen (carb reduced refueling), and then perform low intensity activity (base cardio w/sauna) in the AM in this carb reduced state. It’s an augmentation of one of the various “train low” protocols and one of the few that has seen success in research models. It’s a hybrid model of the green and red below.

-  Overall NEAT would have to be up. Walkable cities (like NYC) make non-leisure physical activity much more likely and is a prime example of how we can augment the environment to create behavioral changes. Increasing your fitness doesn’t have to take place just in the gym and Roos was getting around 10,000 steps a day in addition to other activity.

Nutrition

Every day couldn’t be in a wild deficit. Constant dieting (which is why it doesn’t work and weight is often regained) is linked to an increase in cortisol levels which will make it exceedingly difficult, especially if someone is already lean, to go from their desire of good to great regarding body comp

Nutrient dense but not calorically rich foods. Think lean or fiber rich plant based protein sources, dark leafy greens, low sugar fruit, etc. This one in theory is easiest but individual has to get used to understanding difference between not being full and actually being hungry which is difficult when our access to food is so easy and connected to so many other things besides actual hunger.

Hydration. One of the underlying causes of unnecessary water retention is not drinking enough water. Consistent dehydration has compounding effects and will effect everything from energy levels to nutrient delivery. Adding dandelion root/leaf, lemon, and cranberry to your water also has some anecdotal evidence and early preliminary research to back it.

Magnesium — subclinical deficiencies can go hidden and since magnesiumis crucial in not just exercise performance but also sleep and energy regulation getting enough of this mineral is a priority.

Wellness

Meditation/Breathing. Roos had to chill. Between workouts, professional responsibilities, and a personal life one can only handle so much. Many don’t realize that weight is lost through respiration so if breathing is off this can cause issues. Additionally, managing the body’s response to stressis vital. Stress as an objective measure is necessary if you want to improve. Now, what is important is if your body recognizes it as distress or eustress, which can be partially a subjective reaction. Utilizing breathing/mindfulness strategies can assist in this practice as well as generally just taking the time to check in with yourself throughout the day.

Sleep. No hyperbole, none of this could have been accomplished without sleep. Sleep, while overwhelmingly bland, has been considered the secret weapon in performance circles forever.

During sleep the release of HGH for repair, controlling of stress (cortisol is necessary but too much can cause issues), and keeping hormones regulated that are associated with hunger is super key. With working out hard at night and knowing a morning workout would often be following, utilizing magnesium, hydrating, making sure to eat but most importantly sleep to finish the recovery process is vital.

Key Takeaways:

So, we got Roos to where she wanted to be. More importantly she had a mental frame shift that provoked an improvement in overall wellness and general body composition even when not in full “training” mode. A succinct takeaway is as follows

-  Create a framework for success that lives outside of the training facility

-  Look outside of your direct vertical for empirical data and inspiration to achieve goals

-  Have a roadmap based in data. If you don’t know where you are you can’t really decide the best place you need to be

-  Make it as easy as possible to follow (not the same as making it easy to do, still gotta earn it).

At end, it all game down to Roos buying in. If the athlete doesn’t trust you and won’t buy in to the plan, no matter how good it is, it won’t work. So big ups to her, ’cause she worked much harder than most.

Here's the images from the article: 

1-267unk8x7Bb9JussLQ8OyQ.thumb.jpeg.852908c610bdc7da7ce222128eecad58.jpeg1-FT9qxtknI9H026WUvd8U_Q.thumb.jpeg.b8492b86f0001dcb6e947fdc9d1fee0e.jpeg

Source: [LINK]