Bellazon

Editorials

Capt Snow

I'll vouch for the fact that this stuff takes a lot of effort on the scanners part. Especially the manual dust removal, none of that bullshit dust and scratches filter stuff, I'm talking actually taking the time to go across every piece of dust one by one, healing the area, cloning, it's not simple nor fun in the least. As Nine said especially on the dark areas. Deep scratches into the pages, bends and folds, missing ink, all of these things take a lot of work to try and clean out of the finished image.

Having a better scanner does make the work easier, but for those of us not fortunate enough to have the best scanners on the market, it's an excersise in dedication and hard work to produce a scan that is somewhat acceptable quality. These tags are an imprint that says "Hey, I took the time and effort to scan this for you people", and then when someone goes and removes the tag, and then tries to apply their own and take credit for my effort, that just crosses the line. And we have people around here who do just that.

Taking the tags off for your own personal viewing seems harmless, but they will always, always get uploaded somewhere else with the tags removed whether it be accidental or not.

In the end of course there is always someone who is going to remove them and take credit, and there is really nothing we can do about it, except, politely ask people not to remove them in the first place. And I don't think that is such a difficult request to follow. Most of the people who scan images, put the tag in a place where it will least effect the image as a whole, usually in the corner. Now are you telling me that it's so distracting down there taking up a measly 100x100 pixel area, that you can not thouroughly enjoy the scanned image that someone else has painstakingly provided for you? I don't think so. Most people are usually so bad at removing the tags, that it actually makes the spot where the tag was, look worse, hence "damaging" the image that much more.

The people who remove tags fall into two categories, A) People who just like to have a clean image. B) People who have no regard for the work people put into these, and would like to use them to garner attention and favor for themselves. The latter of these two, is the type of person I refrenced in my post above. This person simply removes tags and applies her own, so that she can make people like her.

Bottom line is this, well placed tags (i.e, not on the subject of the photo) do not take away from the image as a whole. Argue it anyway you like, no one is saving these scans, for the 3 leaves, or the small amount of writing or page number that the tag covers in the corner of the scan. People are saving these for the subject of the photo, which a well placed tag has absolutely no effect on. Case in point, does my tag in the image below really ruin anyone's enjoyment of the picture as a whole? Though it minutely covers a small section of the letter T, I don't feel that it has any abstract effect on the subject of the scan. Therefore, why remove it? To see the edge of that T better? Because it is integral to the image as a whole? Doesn't make any sense.

post-16-1118180814_thumb.jpg

im with nine and capt on this one....i didnt used to tag my scans until i saw someone claim they scanned one of my scans and someone thought one of my other scans was done my duro....ever since then i started tagging my scans

And as to the hosting the scans, as Nine mentioned, if she didn't do it herself, and say paid a webdesigner to set it up for her it would cost even more money. Because you have bandwidth which changes from company to company. 5 dollars a month up to 20. And then what you pay the designer. And that starts at 12 bucks an hour most of the time, if it's not a bulk project which according to industry standards is a flat 1000 if they're any good.

And that's low-end, entry level designers. College kids mostly.

I don't like tags, but I understand the reason why people use it. All I ask is keep it minimal in size.

Since we are already off-off topic, could anyone enlight me and explain why people tag pictures they FIND on the internet before posting on a forum?

If you scan it -OK, if you buy it from Wireimage - OK, but if you find it posted on another forum than what is the exact reason for tagging?

I don't like tags, but I understand the reason why people use it. All I ask is keep it minimal in size.

Since we are already off-off topic, could anyone enlight me and explain why people tag pictures they FIND on the internet before posting on a forum?

If you scan it -OK, if you buy it from Wireimage - OK, but if you find it posted  on another forum than what is the exact reason for tagging?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i understand too. I think the reason that people tag pictures they find in other forums could be the same reason that people tag pictures they scan, because they put some effort into making it available for other people to see and they want people to appreciate that. I think it's all a matter of choice. You'll notice some websites tag (Wireimage) and some don't (Firstview).

Yeah, i understand too. I think the reason that people tag pictures they find in other forums could be the same reason that people tag pictures they scan, because they put some effort into making it available for other people to see and they want people to appreciate that. I think it's all a matter of choice. You'll notice some websites tag (Wireimage) and some don't (Firstview).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I understand.

So if I find a pic here, which I'd like to post somewhere else, than I just remove the tag, put on mine, and than I post it on that other forum.

/I'd like to point out for everyone that I'm talking strictly about webfound pictures, not scans!!!/

btw Wireimage, I believe is a company. They sell the pictures, that's what they live from. That is their reason for the tags. If you could get the untagged, full-size pics for free, why would you pay for it?

Well some people tag them and others don't. I personally don't because i don't like tags. And the companies that put the photos out there spent time to scan them and all of that. But at the same time, if people want to say they took the time to search for the item and post it and all of that jazz then i dunno i guess they can tag it. Some people might see it as wanting some sort of 'thanks' for doing work...even though it might not be as much work as say, scanning.Technically the magazine companies/website companies could say we don't want you tagging work that we did. I mean all of the stuff is copyrighted...so i dunno...it's all personal choice i guess. I know a lot of people who are taggers and non-taggers don't have a problem taking photos from one forum or one website and just posting the photos without saying where they got them from. I've done it a few times and i've seen other people in this forum and other forums do it sometimes. One might say it's rude not to always thank whatever source you got the photo from... I think the purpose of posting a photo is to just share it with other people and that's it.

well some people....lullaby for example tags the candids cuz she pays for her wireimage account and getty image account and all the other accounts she has with different image sites....hence the tags...she doesnt want people taking credit for her work

well some people....lullaby for example tags the candids cuz she pays for her wireimage account and getty image account and all the other accounts she has with different image sites....hence the tags...she doesnt want people taking credit for her work

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. Well, i think if people want to tag then that's ok and if they don't want to tag that's ok too. It would be cool if people at least thanked the source that they got it from.I've paid for Wireimage, Firstview and many others and i don't tag them. It all depends on the person. I don't mind doing work and not having people recognize i did it. In fact, i've seen other people take my work and post it without thanking me for finding it... and that's ok with me. I just want people to see the work. Other people like people to know that they put the time and effort into making it available to others, wither they spent a lot of money or time on it, it doesn't matter...if they put any effort into it, they may want to be thanked for it. And i completely understand where people are coming from when they get upset if someone else claims that they found the photos, like it was them that put all the effort into it.