Bellazon

Johnny Depp
Thumbnail

Siren

I'm a huge fan on 'Alice In Wonderland'... and I really hoped that Burton would not destroy such an amazing, though underated, piece of literature... And with that one photo of Depp... My fears are far from assuaged. Yes, the story is dark, but the level that Burton is taking it sickens me.

I'm a huge fan on 'Alice In Wonderland'... and I really hoped that Burton would not destroy such an amazing, though underated, piece of literature... And with that one photo of Depp... My fears are far from assuaged. Yes, the story is dark, but the level that Burton is taking it sickens me.

I'm really looking forward to it. I do love the book too and I like to see how Burton will visualize it! But then again I'm a fan of him anyway and the cast is awesome so he can't fail for me :-)

The thing about Alice in Wonderland' is that the darkness comes from understanding the references and reading between the lines. Visually, everything is light and child-like but the darkness is under the surface of the world created. Burton wants to make the darkness obvious because that's generally all he likes about any work.

To make a true live action 'Alice in Wonderland' you'd need a director that understands how to express something without shoving it in your face. Burton is not the man for the job. Yes, he's very good at what he does and the cast is wonderful... but I just don't think this is an adequate expression of the novel.

I could also imagine (and would have liked) Guillermo del Toro being the director, thinking of Pan's Labyrinth. But then again I'm sure Johnny and Helena wouldn't be in the movie so I'm glad Burton's got the job. :yes: To be honest I'm just glad Spielberg doesn't do it. I love his movies, but he's way too kitschy. And I really don't want Alice to be "just" a children's movie.

And then you mustn't forget that this is just a first pic of Johnny's appearance in the movie. I'm not sure where this pic came from and how "official" it is. Also Burton always got a good feeling for balancing children's movies with slightly horror movie elements.

Edward Scissorhands for example - it's certainly rather children then horror, but Edward looks horrific and the basic story is rather dark. It's like a nightmare, but not a "bad" nightmare, not the kind that wakes you up screaming, but being glad it did go well in the ending. Same with Charlie and the Chocolate factory which really got some very dark elements besides all the colors and sweets, but I still would say it's a children's movie.

What I like about Burton is that he's telling stories in the way the Brothers Grimm were telling tales. They're what's considered children's tales, but they are full of violence nevertheless.

And whatever Burton does it's always very imaginary and got a fairytale-ish mood about it.

• 3 weeks later...