Bellazon

Athiests vs. Agnostics vs. Theist

AnaBBarrosFan

There was always codified knowledge centuries (eg. the Egyptians and the Chinese civilizations) before the mainstream holy books were written, preserved or messiahs walked the earth..., and on a related subject, I remember sitting in a conversation with a Christian biologist years ago and inquiry came up: "How do you apply your religion to what you know in your profession?" The biologist gave an answer like this- he had to confabulate the fundamentalist word and carry over the mistakes to the men who made revisions to the holy books and not to God & his earlier messengers. So his faith in Christianity was greatly revised.

Confabulating is a very apt descriptor for behavior of the religious today- like a hard core political ideologue, they have to constantly filter, ignore, and change information and experiences of their daily lives periodically in order to sustain their faith while the sheer weight of leading-edged civilized evidence weighs against them.

There was always codified knowledge centuries (eg. the Egyptians and the Chinese civilizations) before the mainstream holy books were written, preserved or messiahs walked the earth..., and on a related subject, I remember sitting in a conversation with a Christian biologist years ago and inquiry came up: "How do you apply your religion to what you know in your profession?" The biologist gave an answer like this- he had to confabulate the fundamentalist word and carry over the mistakes to the men who made revisions to the holy books and not to God & his earlier messengers. So his faith in Christianity was greatly revised.

Confabulating is a very apt descriptor for behavior of the religious today- like a hard core political ideologue, they have to constantly filter, ignore, and change information and experiences of their daily lives periodically in order to sustain their faith while the sheer weight of leading-edged civilized evidence weighs against them.

He sounds like one of the few people on here who want a discussion

here's a hint: As for the childhood developmental stage, the Twitter/ipad/facebook generation was before my time ;) We wrote page-long e-mail letters/physical letters or had 2 hour long phone conversations.

It's interesting, I was actually talking about this issue in private- why on earth do people post one sentence brain-farts on the internet these days? They get scrolled over and ignored. What happened to the real conversations? :) Instead of making 10 posts a day, why not write two good posts?

My goodness! A deflection!

It was not directed towards you or this thread, but to internet in general...that's why I stick to BZ although the twitter bug has caught on here as well. There's more value here vs. TFS. One sentence, four word responses have become the norm in internet and work communication. I blame the phones, but having to scroll of posting brain fart after brain fart gets tiring. There's too much vagueness involved, and I don't translate my thoughts into 'catch phrases'. People don't have real conversations anymore, it's too bad.

Because people are stupid. Because when they tell you 'that's my opinion' they mean 'my opinion is the fact and the only one that matters'. Because people are too lazy that they refuse to use their brains so they let other do the thinking for them. Because people think they don't need to understand anything that they'll follow suit so long as the heading says science or religion. Because people don't want to grasp the idea that they could be wrong. Because they are drowning in so much ignorance and denial. Because they already made up their minds. Yes, people give one-word responses because they're stupid and narrow minded.

Hmmph, I see what you think. It's good to stimulate debate and exchanges though- if one rarely does so then I certainly feel that they are doing a disservice to themselves. It shouldn't involve the 'ego', and that is not the way to the path of higher knowledge. And it need not have to be an argument- but rather an exchange of pointed opinions over topics of interest, and the introduction of evidence that can direct somebody otherwise towards the existence of an alternate point of view. Now that's a sign of mutually profitable conversation, and respectful reciprocity.

I perfectly understood you. And I wasn't specifically talking about BZ. That's how I sincerely see it. People don't want to talk because they think there's nothing to talk about. That what they know is right and good enough.

The type of God image does not really matter if the notion I was trying to refute was the use of string theory to disprove theism.

As for the science vs. religion debate, you could do what some Christians have been able to since (at least) the second century AD: read much of scripture allegorically.

Specifically (in a discussion about the origin of life and the universe): Genesis.

Hmmph, I see what you think. It's good to stimulate debate and exchanges though- if one rarely does so then I certainly feel that they are doing a disservice to themselves. It shouldn't involve the 'ego', and that is not the way to the path of higher knowledge. And it need not have to be an argument- but rather an exchange of pointed opinions over topics of interest, and the introduction of evidence that can direct somebody otherwise towards the existence of an alternate point of view. Now that's a sign of mutually profitable conversation, and respectful reciprocity

Faith is simply faith. IF god(s) exist, there will never be solid proof. I thought the whole purpose of many belief systems and religions was to have faith in a being(s) larger than yourself without real evidence.

Some people think a baby being born or some shit like that is proof of God, whatever. You do you.

But to say people who don't believe in God are ignorant or simply "in the dark" is fucking idiotic. I honestly don't give a shit if there is or isn't a God. AND if by some fucking weird circumstance there is one, he/she is a fucking douche. Apparently God helps some people in the world "discover" science or help them pass tests but BABY CANCER still exists. Kids are getting raped by automatic weapons in Africa by assholes. If there is a God, I still wouldn't give three shits about him/her. I would rather rot in the fiery pits of hell being torn apart by hell hounds than bask in the glory that is God.

But hey, maybe if I read the right chapters in the Bible, I will finally get that Hermes bag I have my eye on.