Bellazon

UEFA Euro 2012

Michael*

You like to think that the near nightmare that tonight became will stand England in good stead. Technically they're subpar, they can't play keep ball for toffee and defensively they often look bullied but they have a bit of genuine craft when they need it and sometimes that's enough to get you over the line. Young's been a huge disappointment so far, Hart isn't commanding the six yard area at all, in fact set pieces in general are tormenting us; but hey, four points from two games is nothing to grumble about. I suspect the home crowd won't allow Ukraine to fall as flat as they did in the second half against France today so its still a pressure cooker situation but one that we've got to look at positively.

Other notes: The BBC were much nicer about Hummels the second time around. Good to see Olof buzzing all over the place tonight, you've just gotta love the guy.

An early exposition of Terry's hilarious lack of pace seemed to set the tone for the back four's handling of Ibrahimovic and company, and of course a better opposing team might have scored more than Sweden's two. But as troubling as it was to see England so readily press the panic button in the second half, it was to Hodgson's credit that he showed such a pro-active approach to the game, introducing Walcott at just the right moment to change things. In the old days, Capello probably would have just chucked Joe Cole on and hoped for the best.

In general, I think it's very commendable how quickly Roy has managed to get such a notoriously arsey group of players to buy into his vision for the team. At the moment, though a positive result against Ukraine is far from a certainty, cautious optimism should be the order of the day.

SL,it's your right to pray for Ukraine

nardev @ I understand your bitter feelings towards this,but it's football,it happened alot in football before,some times politics,racism take part in this,but when any team plays well and works hard for good results ,then it doesn't need another team to help it go forward,at the end it's fate and destiny.Let's all keep good hopes and best wishes for each others. :flower:

================================

You have the right. Croatia didn't deserve to qualify on WC 2010. England was much better in both games against us and we twice failed to beat Ukraine. I simply don't like England's attitude. On EC1996 in group stage Croatia won Denmark and then, in last round, played with reserve team against Portugal. Denmark needed our victoy. Of course, we lost. After that in QF we went on Germany, referee robed us and that was end of story. It was God's justice. If on Tuesday Ukraine wins again I'll see it as justice too. I don't hate England, I'm not angry, I'm just sometimes a vengeful person. I simply can't resist. Same opponents, same place and diferent stake. Now they must play for own skin.

In all others matches (including possible future England's) let's better opponent wins. Flower%20for%20you.gif

And with that the "Russia are my dark horse" brigade can quietly slink off to their damp basements once more. Poland were dreadful tonight after the first twenty minutes, the Czechs probably couldn't believe their luck in the second half. And as for Greece, oh Lordy, surely a quarter final against the Germans. Could Newsnight's Paul Mason handle such a thing?!?

oh what a big unexpected surprise Greece gave us

can't believe Russia is out,a lesson for all others.all through 1st half ,I was saying,you Russians have to be careful,they wasted many easy chances,Greece stole the goal suddenly,unexpectdly.as whole,the match wasn't that exciting,except the Russian 1 chance of equaliser in 2nd half and the last 10 ms.

====================

Czech1-0Poland

Russia0-1 Greece

so GA

1-Czech

2-Greece

3-Russia

4-Poland

Czech and Greece made it to the quarter finals.Czech will meet the 2nd from tomorrow's group

Greece will meet the 1st from same group

I'm expecting big things from Poland-Czech Republic tonight. Should be a cracker.

the big things really came from Greece-Russia.though I'm sad for Polish,it's their land and they lost.

, it was to Hodgson's credit that he showed such a pro-active approach to the game, introducing Walcott at just the right moment to change things. In the old days, Capello probably would have just chucked Joe Cole on and hoped for the best.

There were lots of fears and doubts after Capello left training and after the late pick up of Hodgson as coach,but after these results and good performance I think maybe fears and doubts should be less and be replaced by some trust and optimism

I'm expecting big things from Poland-Czech Republic tonight. Should be a cracker.

the big things really came from Greece-Russia.though I'm sad for Polish,it's their land and they lost.

I was rooting for Poland too, it always makes for a good atmosphere when the home nation/s are involved.

I'm not sure I like this new 'head-to-head' ruling in the group stages. Under the old system, I believe Russia would have gone through. That being said, Advocaat will surely rue his inexplicable loyalty towards the non-scoring Kerzhakov, who looked incapable of hitting a barn door throughout while striking talent like Pavlyuchenko and Pogrebnyak warmed the bench. The manager has been around long enough to know that goals from midfield (like the ones they got against Czech Republic) simply don't keep going in, and he must take the majority of blame for Russia's exit.

I suppose it could be argued as well that Greece were due a break, having had absolutely zero luck with officials over the three games. The decision to book Karagounis for diving in the box bordered on laughable, as did the sending off of Papastathopoulous (bless you CTRL + V) in the opener.

Ok so Mahi, you were absolutely right about what I've said, to not predict Russia going so far too fast. I look so dumb right now, I felt like they could be in the finale

As for Poland... I've never had too much faith in our team, sorry :ninja: I mean, do you really think we could go far?

post-5680-0-1445985403-25191_thumb.gif

yes, the team is slightly better than, let's say, 2 years ago but we are not at the same level as Germany or Portugal.

I am very surprised with Greece though, not only because I thought Russia will be the leader in this group...

I missed yesterday's matches -.- but was happy to hear Greece went through! Today's matches should be entertaining at the least. My guess is Germany/Portugal go through, though i have a feeling that Holland might steal one which would be amazing considering how terrible they've played.

Yeah,though Holland has the least,weakest hope,but who expected Greece to go forward and Russia go backward.

very true, and Ronaldo having a good or bad game may end up being the difference maker. Same goes for Robben at the other end