Bellazon

Django Unchained

cherrybomb

^

I can see that, Leslie. As for me, I felt that there were tonal straddling throughout the film, and gave me a conflicting state of mind. Some scenes were classic tarantino and others were really quite serious (meant to be emotional, and draw one into the character with flashbacks, etc.) so I wondered why they were even included! While Pulp Fiction was very consistent in its mood (little emphasis on 'diving deep' in the characters so they could appear more mysterious and the action could be displayed outward) , this one shifted back and forth quite often.

Jamie Foxx was modern in his mannerisms, and the 'slave' extras were more in character, but not completely so. The rednecks were done well, though. :PinkCouture2:

^See I actually loved that Waltz, the bounty hunter, was german. I thought it fit well with the story line, and I think Waltz is a fantastic actor ;) And I think Jamie wasn't that great (he wasn't terrible either, but I found his scenes weren't riveting or very entertaining) as well as Kerry Washington. She was ehh.

And I can see where your coming from with Dicaprio ;) Seeing him as the pretty boy, good guy all his films, then turned into an evil racist is a little hard to grasp. But I thought his scenes were among the best in the film (the full dinner scene with the anatomey of a skull, and him slicing his hand open? That was pure Oscar gold ;) ) Also add Jonah Hills whole scene was classic, I about died laughing :rofl:

I agree, Pulp Fiction was tarontinos best, and maybe its just me, but I can't quite see where its getting best picture nods. I thought it was a really entertaining movie (would love to see it again and get a different take on it) but best picture? I don't know :/

^

I can see that, Leslie. As for me, I felt that there were tonal straddling throughout the film, and gave me a conflicting state of mind. Some scenes were classic tarantino and others were really quite serious (meant to be emotional, and draw one into the character with flashbacks, etc.) so I wondered why they were even included! While Pulp Fiction was very consistent in its mood (little emphasis on 'diving deep' in the characters so they could appear more mysterious and the action could be displayed outward) , this one shifted back and forth quite often.

I didn't find any of the violent scenes to be particularly abnormal for a R film. They were also individually short, and this is a dialogue driven film much more than an action film :) The violence is frequent, but it is supplementary to the situations. It is not its sole driver. :)

I find Tarantino-movies to often contain lots of different moods-shifts over a pretty short period of time.

But I do kinda like that.

That's not a concern of me, but his great use of violence is.

(I don't see how it's possible to make a movie about slavery etc without violence, I know ;) )

That's why I hope the violent-moods aren't a huge part of the movie, because I prefer some time to calm down.

I have to bump up my rating to 4/5, because there's too much substance in it to really forget. :) I will be collecting the next 4 or 5 issues of the Django Unchained screenplay-comic when it comes out. The original film is in there, but also added detail and scenes that didn't make it into the final film.

For instance, there was supposed to be a backstory with Zoe Bell's character (The woman with a red scarf covering her face, and the photography). She is in fact, missing her lower jaw. The comic may reveal what this person was.

A few eclectic minor characters that I've noticed. They seem to have had back stories developed somewhere and somehow:

-Lara, Calvin Candie's widowed sister. An incestuous relationship? There are hints in the film.

-Mammy- Yep, a slave plantation must have a mammy...

-John Brille- Christian slave driver who mutters the scripture to himself, and also patches his clothing with pages ripped out of the holy bible.

-Calvin Candie's courtesan slave partner who, like Stephan, gets to listen in to all of his deals.

-Wealthy looking italian man at the slave match

-Calvin Candie's bootlicking lawyer, who rode on Candie's coattails his whole life

-Calvin Candie's security chief

-Handsome cowboy-looking fellow, one of Candie's head goons and seemingly clever

-Slave that enviously eyeballs Django throughout the plantation trip. What is he thinking?

2 of Candie's Redneck thugs

-Mr. Stonecipher- apparently the leader of the gang, but also talks as if he's half-retarded and missing half his tongue.

-Woman with red scarf, as I mentioned earlier.

The answer is, Leo fans ;)

From jezebel.com:

Who the Hell Collects These Django Unchained Slave Action Figures?

Along with the release of Tarantino's Django Unchained, the marketing geniuses put their busy little heads together and came up with all sorts of fun tie-ins. One of the brilliant ideas the brain trust dreamt up was collectible dolls of the characters. Because who doesn't want pose-able, 8" action figures of slaves and the people who kidnapped, raped, murdered, and lynched them? Except probably most people.

"Selling slaves as action figures is a slap in the face of our ancestors. Tarantino and Weinstein didn't have action figures for their movie " Inglorious Basterds" because they know the Jewish community would never allow it and the African-American community shouldn't allow anyone to disrespect our ancestors," stated Najee Ali, Director of Project Islamic Hope.

A Change.org petition asking that the action figures be removed from the maket includes this reminder:

Simply, these companies and entities are capitalizing off of the bloodshed and sufferings of African slaves. In return, these companies are giving nothing back the sufferings of the decendents of African slaves. Ask yourself, why aren't they offering 100% of the profits to go back to the families who are descendants of the African slaves brought here. Or why not give the profits to the African American communities across America who suffer from lack of resources and opportunity that disenfranchises our communities? What are these companies giving back to you, your family and community to strengthen positive growth and opportunity?

My question is: Who is the audience for these dolls? It's obviously not children, as the press release states they're for 15-and-up, and also, I'm pretty sure kids wouldn't get too stoked to play with Boring Ol' Plastic Doll in Historical Garb That Kinda Looks Like Some Celebrity They Don't Know.

If the action figures are just for people to keep in the boxes and put on display for (terrified? bewildered? creeped-out?) guests, I'm not sure if that's more or less weird than if they were designed for kids. Who actually collects this shit?

I'm sorry Tarantino super fans and the five Klan members with enough money to buy these bizarre dolls, they're just not worth the anguish they're causing.

post-2904-0-1446064836-67017_thumb.jpg

If they feared a backlash over manufacturing action figures for 'Inglorious' then they couldn't possibly have expected these to go unnoticed. The 1,000 toys that did make it off the production line are going to be worth a small fortune now, though.

Quentin has been making a few waves on this side of the pond too, reacting rather badly to questioning by Channel 4 News' Krishnan Guru-Murthy and coining the already infamous phrase "I'm shutting your butt down". :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love QT's movies so was really looking forward on this film. I liked it and Christoph was amazing as he had always been. I agree though about the running time. I think everyone did a good job, except, sadly, Django himself, Jamie Foxx.

lol true. The worst part of Django unchained was Django :p :rofl: