Bellazon

Margot Robbie
Thumbnail

dawson

Francis Ford Coppola Salutes ‘Barbenheimer’ Success: One-Offs Are a ‘Victory for Cinema’

“I have yet to see them, but the fact that people are filling big theaters to see them and that they are neither ‘sequels’ nor ‘prequels’… no number attached to them meaning they are true one-off’s is victory for Cinema,” he answered.

Variety

On 7/30/2023 at 12:23 AM, lostdiadem said:

Spiderman himself might not be a cultural phenomenon but the whole Marvel is - and DC too even though they are less successful than Marvel.

And knowing Mattel now wants to grow and become like Marvel by making more movies about their toys and games, yeah, it can definitely become a cultural phenomenon.

It's definitely a cultural phenomenon. It's the symbol of the hatred and spite that have taken over a big chunk of our society.

The producers/actors say they don't care about our opinions? Fine, it's their choice to be controlled by their resentment.

I care about their opinion, but I can't respect a movie made out of hate. :/

3 hours ago, Jade Bahr said:

c7c47670b9a9051603d99715d8832adcdcb25a90 1a33c478fa90bc774ad3064d2c7f478557b5c92a

Claire Willett is a terrible person. Her arguments are fallacious. She says she doesn't care about other people's opinion (which is already the proof she's an intolerant person), but she's inconsistent, since she brags and belittles other people.

She is lead by her anger and spite. Like this movie. This is a terrible message. :/

We used to be better.

yoda-anger.gif

The last thing I felt (before, during or after) BARBIE was hate. I had actually lots of fun while watching it and recognized myself in many things particular as a woman, yes. But Barbie isn't flawless she's actually miles away from being perfect (in both worlds, real and Barbieland) but that's the whole point of the movie. No one is perfect and even more important no one has to be. For me the movie is about solidarity, understanding, commitment for others and yourself, acceptance for others and yourself, equal rights - not only womens but mens too (or Kens lol) and learning not only from mistakes but each other to make it different/better in the future.

21 hours ago, Jade Bahr said:

The last thing I felt (before, during or after) BARBIE was hate. I had actually lots of fun while watching it and recognized myself in lots of things particular as a woman, yes. But Barbie isn't flawless she's actually miles away from being perfect (in both worlds, real and Barbieland) but that's the whole point of the movie. No one is perfect and even more important no one has to be. For me the movie is about solidarity, understanding, commitment for others and yourself, acceptance for others and yourself, equal rights - not only womens but mens too (or Kens lol) and learning not only from mistakes but each other to make it different/better in the future.

On 7/30/2023 at 12:23 AM, lostdiadem said:

Spiderman himself might not be a cultural phenomenon but the whole Marvel is - and DC too even though they are less successful than Marvel.

And knowing Mattel now wants to grow and become like Marvel by making more movies about their toys and games, yeah, it can definitely become a cultural phenomenon.

Yeah, cause Spider-man is a character. By definition it can't be a phenomenon just like Barbie. But a new Spider-man movie, game etc could be

Interesting plan but not sure about other IPs they have, I think anything could be a great material if enough work is in it but none of the rest has as big potential as Barbie

I recall that 'Clueless' made a big splash for years.  Didn't see Barbie and don't know if its that memorable or can be compared to something like Star Wars, Nolan's Batman, & Lord of the Rings.  Maybe closer to 'Mean girls', if its meme-able.

The thing is however that the toy industry is in great decline for years.  Children don't play with physical toys very much anymore.  Toys R Us across the US closed.

Overall hollywood is a Gen X and earlier thing.  It is also in relative decline both commercially & culturally and far surpassed by the gaming industry currently and in potential growth.  In general social media has severely cut into the impact of hollywood.  People used to worship stars & films a lot in the 2000s and earlier.

On 7/30/2023 at 6:00 AM, Enrico_sw said:

It's definitely a cultural phenomenon. It's the symbol of the hatred and spite that have taken over a big chunk of our society.

The producers/actors say they don't care about our opinions? Fine, it's their choice to be controlled by their resentment.

I care about their opinion, but I can't respect a movie made out of hate. :/

I’m sorry but the only one spreading hatred here is you.

You don’t like the Barbie movie? Ok, to each their own. But if you don’t understand the meaning of the movie, don’t make up one and since you don’t personally know Margot, you have no rights to speak like that of her. You can say you don’t like her as an actress or physically speaking, but what you’re spreading is pure pointless non-sense.

38 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

BARBIE (2023) + living in Youtubers' heads rent free

Source

These trending topics, especially if part of the 'culture wars' get youtubers paid.  I have a youtube channel myself and personally see that these topics bring 10- 20 + times more followers (and also revenue) than an honest topic.