Bellazon

Margot Robbie
Thumbnail

dawson

1 hour ago, Jade Bahr said:

Why is always everyone assuming the heroine needs a hero to be fully filled?

I never assumed a heroine needs a hero.  Perhaps there are many examples that I never noticed but Zero Dark Thirty and Hidden Figures come to mind.

^It's just something my mom said while we were watching "13 going 30" I will never ever forget. The movie is about to end and 30 years old Jen Garner is sitting on the stairs, crying her eyes out because she didn't get "the man" and then went back to 13 making everything different to make sure she's ending up with "the man". A so called HAPPY ENDING.

My mom: So she can't be happy without him, she has to be with him to be happy. Why is this the message of every fuckin girls movie?

Also my mom while watching Titanic: Oh so she can live without him!

12 years old sobbing me: But with him would be so much nicer.

My mom: You will understand when you're older.

Me today: My mom was right.

11 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

^It's just something my mom said while we were watching "13 going 30" I will never ever forget. The movie is about to end and 30 years old Jen Garner is sitting on the stairs, crying her eyes out because she didn't get "the man" and then went back to 13 making everything different to make sure she's ending up with "the man". A so called HAPPY ENDING.

My mom: So she can't be happy without him, she has to be with him to be happy. Why is this the message of every fuckin girls movie?

Also my mom while watching Titanic: Oh so she can live without him!

12 years old sobbing me: But with him would be so much nicer.

My mom: You will understand when you're older.

I absolutely agree 💯 I also believe that a woman will never be truly happy with a man if she cannot be happy without him. 

8 hours ago, Jade Bahr said:

I agree and I doubt Margot Robbie needs a man to "be fulfilled".  Plus I was reacting to the statement "everyone assuming". 

My mother's other's role model was Eleanor Roosevelt.  I've studied and am reading a book now about her and learned she didn't need Franklin to achieve greatness but it helped a little to be married to a president.

On 8/2/2023 at 2:21 AM, Grievous said:

And following a YouTuber with a video that's called "Why Modern Movies Suck - The Strong Female Character" tells me everything I need to know.  

He sounds like an open-minded kind of guy. 🙄

You didn't even watch the video :cain:

He says that creating heroines that don't have to undergo hardship to fulfil their journey belittles them and make them unrelatable/unrealistic. The problem of the "Mary Sue" trope is that it tells its audience they don't have to do anything to become good (which is wrong - reality will always remind you that).

I'm sure you can get past the title of a video, general Grievous, right?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611oql6kdufm18motpcv5

15 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

He is indeed. :Amelie_wft: There are several videos about it.

Fair enough :thumbsup: 

Or maybe he is just watching the wrong mainstream movies? There is a whole movie world outside the broken big studio system of Hollywood and I claim if you're open minded and look in the right places you even find decent modern stuff there too.

12 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

Or maybe he is just watching the wrong mainstream movies? There is a whole movie world outside the broken big studio system of Hollywood and I claim if you're open minded and look in the right places you even find decent modern stuff there too.

I'd love to know what these alternatives are. :bounce:

I like Japanese entertainment, but it's not that prolific and most of the good stuff is anime (not many good movies). Also, sometimes, they're a bit twisted :nicole:

There are a couple of good European productions (sometimes, but not that many of them). In the US, I thought Netflix would be an alternative, but it turns out that now they're among the worst :laugh: