Bellazon

Marisa Miller
Thumbnail

bar none

Not just pretty face: Models get head for business

By SAMANTHA CRITCHELL

AP Fashion Writer

NEW YORK — Some models are more than just pretty faces: They're successful businesswomen, parlaying their time on the catwalk into careers that show off that other important asset - their wits.

Heidi Klum, for example, is starting her fifth season Wednesday as host and executive producer of "Project Runway." That's practically her spare time considering she has her own jewelry line with Mouawad, her own skin-care line called In An Instant and, even at age 35, one of the busiest models in the world.

She ranks 78th on the Forbes magazine list of most powerful celebrities. Also in the top 100 were Gisele Bundchen and Kate Moss, who has a clothes line with Topshop and her own fragrance with Coty.

Klum, chosen by the Accessories Council as last year's most important fashion influencer, didn't wait to begin her business empire until the sunset of her modeling career. Victoria's Secret has made her its star "angel" and she caused quite a stir with recent risque Jordache ads, but, she says, she gets the biggest thrill when she sees her brands on the street.

"When I see people wearing my pieces, it's superflattering because they spent money on it," she says.

Most models-turned-moguls go into some sort of fashion-related business because it is what they know best, but there also are role models to be found in television personality Tyra Banks and furniture designer Cindy Crawford.

Sports Illustrated swimsuit pinup girl (and fellow Victoria's Secret angel) Marisa Miller takes inspiration from the catwalkers who came before her: "I'm definitely thinking that far in advance. ... First you become a spokesperson and then you can branch out as you become a personality and, as people know your name, you can do more things."

Miller launches her first design project, a partnership with shoe brand Vans, this week.

[*skips a bunch of unrelated stuff*]

MARISA MILLER

Swimsuit model Marisa Miller is the new kid on the block with her cobranded surfer-style shoes with Vans.

"I'm really excited. This is the first opportunity I've had to be a designer," she says.

She surely hopes it's not the last. "I'm trying to find my own little niche. ... I don't want to do anything just to do it, I want something close to my heart and have it come naturally."

A no-brainer would be swimwear, says 29-year-old Miller, an avid surfer. "Growing up in California, swimsuits are something I'm around a lot. It's my work and it's what I do in my personal life too."

Part of growing Marisa Miller as a brand will be to develop a public personality.

"I've been getting more comfortable on TV. I actually prefer it. I love taking photos but I'm the all-American girl - I love meeting people and I love being out there," Miller says. "I feel like I'm at the beginning of where I want to be."

Link

I hope that's a typo for the article's title. :laugh:

^ :rofl:

Thanks for posting that article Matt. :D

I really hope she gets to be as big as Heidi, Tyra, and all of the others that branched out to other projects. I think she will just because she has the smarts and a great personality on top of her looks.

I got the new VS catalog in the mail a couple of days ago and sadly hardly any MM pics in there. It has the new fall clothing line and the only pics I saw of MM in there were the ones where she is wearing different t-shirts.

Tune into E! News right now! They are doing a short interview with Marisa. If you miss it, they rerun it later on tonight and usually on the weekend too.

Just got done watching it. Never mind. All they did was show some clips (although hot clips) and read quotes from the Maxim magazine issue she is in.