Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

trying to wrap my head around the whole concept of 'booktube' and 'booktok' & to see if I can get something useful out of it. 

These are people who have big channels that are composed of them making videos saying 2 sentences each about 50 books that they've never read...

The whole concept seems disingenuous as these people (mostly women) seem to be mainly advertising these (usually fiction) books.  Probably paid by publishing houses & authors.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Before the 1800s, most men were not allowed to vote, go to school or study, they couldn't choose their jobs, they did not choose their wives (the village would organise that). Most of men were field workers. The average guy couldn't even read... :/

You are talking about a short period of time throughout history mid 19th to mid 20th century more or less), but history started 5 000 years ago (and homo sapiens 300 000+ years ago).

Look at history books, I know you're a conscientious person.

I mean ancient history is not a mono-culture either.

e.g. Tacitus already wrote about how the Barbarian tribes that the Romans fought (and increasingly lost battles against) had women among the tribal leadership, something that was unheard of in his native Rome. So the idea that all ancient cultures were patriarchal or patriarchal to the same degree is a fallacy.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:40 PM, Enrico_sw said:

@Stromboli1 These bewbs scream a lot of interesting stuff  :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Watching Ahsoka yesterday the thing I most realized is how little of a spectacle any new SW still is.

It used to be a huge deal to get new SW content. And this was even the case for a few years after the Disney purchase of Lucas' rights.

Especially the last five or so years though, they have milked the IP too much. And really apart from the first season of The Mandalorian and Andor (which I both liked though for different reasons), it hasn't really yielded anything too memorable.

1 hour ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I mean ancient history is not a mono-culture either.

e.g. Tacitus already wrote about how the Barbarian tribes that the Romans fought (and increasingly lost battles against) had women among the tribal leadership, something that was unheard of in his native Rome. So the idea that all ancient cultures were patriarchal or patriarchal to the same degree is a fallacy.

That's exactly my point.

History is not the caricature that modern feminists want it to be.

The myth that women were oppressed for thousands of years is exactly this: a myth. As for "the patriarchy" (a not very well defined concept), when it really existed, it was often times the reward for men having to sacrifice more for "the team" (war, difficult work, etc.)

Even today, in traditional countries like Armenia (which suffers A LOT despite the media not caring about it as much as they should), there are lots of female soldiers. Women get a recognition for that, because risking your life for the country (or tribe) is very valuable.

Watching Ahsoka yesterday the thing I most realized is how little of a spectacle any new SW still is.

It used to be a huge deal to get new SW content. And this was even the case for a few years after the Disney purchase of Lucas' rights.

Especially the last five or so years though, they have milked the IP too much. And really apart from the first season of The Mandalorian and Andor (which I both liked though for different reasons), it hasn't really yielded anything too memorable.

Disney creators and writers aren't... creative. Most of there neurons are thinking about how they will force-feed the modern day "message" in our minds.

This company is a mess. Bob Iger is a substandard leader and his staff is mediocre as well.

Lucas was way better.

"In the shallow world of BookTok, being ‘a reader’ is more important than actually reading"

In the shallow world of BookTok, being ‘a reader’ is more important than actually reading | British GQ (gq-magazine.co.uk)

So basically all of these booktok/booktube influencers are scammers as I expected.  Nobody is capable of reading 200 books in 1 month.

Dear Summer,

It's been a whole week since we last conversed. Your relentless presence seems determined to be a giant fucking pain in the ass, refusing to give me a break. At least another seven days of your bullshit, and then, like the infuriating dick tease you are, you'll grant me a measly two days of fall, only to slowly slink back into your old habits. Why the hell are you clinging so desperately? Didn't Mama Mother Nature teach you to share with your siblings, to take turns like everyone else?

I usually appreciate the critters you bring along during your season, believe it or not, I even admit you've got something going right there. But now, I've got house centipedes invading my home... even they've had enough of the misery you bring.

image.png

Don't worry, I'm not killing them. Those little voracious demon spawn have been relocated to my bathroom. But let me tell you, I had a run-in with one of them last night, and it charged at me like a bat out of hell – not my idea of a good time Summer! But I'm letting them be, because it's the only thing you've managed to get right.

My (SAD) has hit me so damn hard that I'm suffering daily migraines thanks to your relentless, never-ending bullshit. You're robbing me of my outdoor time and depriving me of Vitamin D. I refuse to rack up a $400 monthly dry cleaning bill just to deal with the sweat-soaked mess you create, especially since my clothing are not compatible with your cunty ways. So, I'm stuck in a perpetual cycle of wearing clothing that even Fetterman would approve of until you finally decided you've punished us enough.

You've had your time, you've had your time to torture me with the nasty sunburn on the 4th of July, and now my back deck is infested with so many freaking Joro spiders that even I – yes, the person who usually loves spiders – don't want to step outside anymore.

image.png

It's time Summer. It's time for your heat to fuck off, it's time for the days to shorten and for the creatures of the night to come out and play, it's time for me to wear my stunning clothing without feeling like I'm in hell. It's time for hot tea, chilly nights, rain-soaked days, the splendor of autumn leaves, and the serene quiet that accompanies the arrival of Fall and Winter. It's time for you to fuck right the fuck off.

Sincerely -

Yvette

Soon...

LUwDtAd.png

These institutions are truly shameless. Penn trying to take credit for Dr. Kariko's work whilst actually taking her off the tenure track because they did not deem her research to be of faculty quality at the time. She was successful in spite of them.

I have driven pass UPenn's some of medical research facilities many times.  They are massive, football stadium sized buildings located off the highway in rural areas.  

6 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I have driven pass UPenn's some of medical research facilities many times.  They are massive, football stadium sized buildings located off the highway in rural areas.  

It's weird they didn't think they would get backlash for that post. The thread is just person and person calling out the hypocrisy.