Bellazon

Most Underrated Quality (In becoming a successful model)

Joe > Average

Most Underrated Quality (In becoming a successful model)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Most Underrated Quality (In becoming a successful model)

• Business Savy (a combination of how well you promote yourself, make the right deals and general business related intelligence)
    • Good fortune/being at the right place a the right time
    • Passion, Determination and Work Ethic

Warning: Unsexiest Poll Ever, lol

But just wanted to know what people thought :) .

More on all 3...

Business savy is an underrated quality because many people just don't naturally associate models with intelligence, but some models are brilliant business women and thus enhance their career with said skills.

Good fortune (that is being at the right place at the right time, not the good fortune of having said looks) is underrated because, contrary to the "make my own destiny" concept, every tall, skinny, pretty girl (even those who love fashion) won't become a model, but there is something to be said for having the good fortune to be in the right place at the same time.

Passion and determination are underrated because you can enhance your career in anything by loving it more and working harder. Some models have done just that. Their love for fashion and great work ethic has allowed them a achomplish much more than the "well, my friends said I should give it a shot...I guess I'll just see where it goes".

:)

Alright, I'll be the first to tackle this with an explanation. I voted for option #3 because models like Heidi and Tyra are examples of what business savvy can do for your career that are too enormous for it to be underrated. It seems to me that the most successful models are known/remembered for what they've done for their careers outside of modeling - the TV shows, commercials, clothing lines, non-modeling-related endorsement deals, etc - and that takes business savvy.

I don't think good fortune is underrated either, as it seems every model you read about was discovered by accident (supposedly). The ever-fortunate "oh I was just walking in the mall with my mom when..." tale is a cliche at this point.

Instead, I voted for passion/determination because because most people when thinking about what it would be like to be a model just picture a glamorous life of getting paid tons of money to wear beautiful clothes and fly to beautiful locations for photoshoots and not have to worry about dieting or exercise because models are all supposed to be naturally fit/good-looking. They don't take into account that you're competing with 1,000 other wannabes for every assignment, waking up for 4am call-times, on an endless succession of plane rides by yourself from shoot to shoot, and under intense pressure to stay physically perfect, and to remain relevant when modeling trends are always changing - all while people are probably trying to take advantage of you.

Good choice, and thanks for speaking up for your choice :nicole: .

I don't think good fortune is underrated either, as it seems every model you read about was discovered by accident (supposedly). The ever-fortunate "oh I was just walking in the mall with my mom when..." tale is a cliche at this point.

And we read many stories about models having fragrances, furniture companies, tv shows and starting businesses and working hard too :p . All 3 are common and none are totally overlooked, but the reason I put being at the right place ect. on there is because I'm used to hearing and seeing girls told they didn't make it only because they weren't good enough and didn't apply themselves enough. The "not good enough" also covers the girls who got discovered randomly as being discovered because they are good enough moreso than being lucky.

There are also many who apply themselves even more, have the same tools and don't make it. But in light of many being taught if they want it hard enough they can make it happen, its somewhat taboo to say "you just weren't fortunate enough". Even though the ones that got discovered at the scating ring didn't apply themself initially, they are still considered to be the "good enough" in said cases.

There are many models that got discoverred in a mall and theme parks. But there are also many models who actually go to modeling schools, send pictures to agents, try out at agencies and enter modeling competitions to purposefully initiate a modeling career (some as early as 14/15 years old or younger) and become models that way. Linda Evangelista's childhood dream was to become a model, Natasha Poly won a model search competition, Cindy Crawford was a veledictorian with an academic scholarship but left school to pursue modeling and won the Elite model look of the Year contest. So there's also many people who were proactive and many avenues to allow one to be proactive.

Are there waitresses that sing better than girls on the radio? Yes. Are there bus drivers that can act better than many actors? Yes, we all know this. But many are still somewhat programmed to say that you either didn't make it because you weren't good enough or didn't apply yourself enough. In that sense I feel the good fortune becomes underrated in those cases. And when you hear or read people talk about what it was that allowed them to get where they are even with being discovered as a security guard the good fortune of having "all the right stuff" will most often overshadow the good fortune of being there to be seen. In other words, it was that much easier to spot them doing regular things because they had the right stuff (in theory) to many people. But any choice is good, but all are underrated to some degree :nicole: .

i chose option 3 as well... :)

it's easy to assume that models do have the easy life... smile, pose, travel, freebies, money... but not many can see the hard work and passion behind the genius as seen in magazines and billboards... their determination to outshine other thousands of models for a job, determination to overcome insecurities and pressure... not many people see that they do get rejected by designers and they strive to not break down every single time it happens... not many can hear the harsh words thrown at them...

@ mbinebri : love the explanation :thumbsup:

Many ninja voters :mellow: ...

I'm still not sure...Need more time, great explainations for those that voted...

But since the underratedness of right place right time's been questioned (Deja Vu of flat soft stomach in abs poll :| )

When you read the bio when its all said and done, individual greatness along with the merit of one's actions such as work ect. will be the focal point of the story.

It will talk of their beauty, walk, charisma, sometimes connections (famous boyfriends, family ect. which is not underrated of course) and hard work and other things, but is taboo to say there were 30 like them that never got the shot. There are many models in high fashion today who are hard working and intelligent, but would not have had a job 25 years ago, but being in the right place at the right time, they were allowed to see the fruits of their hard work and determination :morning: .