Bellazon

Kate Upton
Thumbnail

allus6ka

^This is all kinds of true. And all her projects are major. And everyone knows her name. She's obviously filthy rich and she's just 20.

I don't even get the hype with high fashion. Those girls are walking their butts off and starving themselves and at the end of the day, they pay them next to nothing.

I dont necessarily agree with this but I think folks feel that high fashion work is more respected. Where as the work that Kate does is mainly for men with a box of tissues next to them.

And there is nothing wrong with that at all, make your money.

I do get a little annoyed when I hear people call her a Supermodel though. IMO, a Supermodel is someone who fits every category of modelling and is respected in each avenue ( Gisele and Karolina Kurkova are probably the most recent examples ).

I dont necessarily agree with this but I think folks feel that high fashion work is more respected. Where as the work that Kate does is mainly for men with a box of tissues next to them.

And there is nothing wrong with that at all, make your money.

I do get a little annoyed when I hear people call her a Supermodel though. IMO, a Supermodel is someone who fits every category of modelling and is respected in each avenue ( Gisele and Karolina Kurkova are probably the most recent examples ).

exactly! I also would just prefer it if they just called her a model for now.

In that case I think they should eliminate the term "Supermodel" all together then because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and even though models like Gisele and Karolina are beautiful, personally I can only see them in the stereotypical high fashion mold because I just can't buy them in the same type of work that Kate is getting. I just don't personally find them sexy just like a lot of people don't see Kate as high fashion material even though I personally think Kate can pull off the high fashion look depending on what they have her wear, same as with any model really because there have been some models I have seen who are normally gorgeous in normal clothes or certain gowns, but then you stick them in the wrong gown/outfit and they look like a train wreck. I think the term "Supermodel" should be more about your star power more than anything no matter what type of modeling you are known for. If you are a household name where everyone and their mothers know who you are, then you should be able to be called a supermodel. That is just how I feel though. :kiss:

Well I don't know if this discussion can be held here (or the supermodel thread) but here goes:

Psylocke I so agree with your notion that the term "supermodel" should be more about star power. Kate is obviously famous in America, I don't know about other parts of the world but I'm sure people in other countries might come across her name.

I would call Karolina a supermodel because she successful in both the HF and commercial department. But I wouldn't scream about it because she's not that famous. Gisele on the other hand is obviously a supermodel. She's famous enough and her portfolio is untouchable. Even though some people might scratch there heads about Adriana, there is no denying she's one of the most famous models of recent times. I would even say she is even more known than Gisele (outside the fashion world of course) She's done several HF projects and is a Queen in commercial modeling.

Kate is still so young, she has years to experience all the avenues modeling can offer and she's not showing any signs of slowing down. IF You google her name, her search results is just off the hook. I strongly believe that popularity/fame should have a lot with one being called a supermodel. But I also believe that one has to work in both the commercial and HF field to earn the title. Kate doesn't even need to be getting a different vogue cover every month or walk on the runway for every designer in town or bag a blue-chip campaign every season. All she needs is just branch out to HF a little bit to be considered a supermodel, IMO.

Well I don't know if this discussion can be held here (or the supermodel thread) but here goes:

Psylocke I so agree with your notion that the term "supermodel" should be more about star power. Kate is obviously famous in America, I don't know about other parts of the world but I'm sure people in other countries might come across her name.

I would call Karolina a supermodel because she successful in both the HF and commercial department. But I would scream about it because she's not that famous. Gisele on the other hand is obviously a supermodel. She's famous enough and her portfolio is untouchable. Even though some people might scratch there heads about Adriana, there is no denying she's one of the most famous models of recent times. I would even say she is even more known than Gisele (outside the fashion world of course) She's done several HF projects and is a Queen in commercial modeling.

Kate is still so young, she has years to experience all the avenues modeling can offer and she's not showing any signs of slowing down. IF You google her name, her search results is just off the hook. I strongly believe that popularity/fame should have a lot with one being called a supermodel. But I also believe that one has to work in both the commercial and HF field to earn the title. Kate doesn't even need to be getting a different vogue cover every month or walk on the runway for every designer in town or bag a blue-chip campaign every season. All she needs is just branch out to HF a little bit to be considered a supermodel, IMO.

Those are some great examples and I agree that even though I truly believe mostly in star power, Kate is still young both in age and the modeling world and still has to prove that she has the staying power. Hopefully she does get that chance to branch out into HF to prove that she can be versatile as well, but if she doesn't get that chance and still has the star power years later, it wouldn't disqualify her from the title in my book. :heart: She has done runway in both America and Mexico so far. Let's hope that leads to bigger and better things all over the world. :thumbsup: (we really need a finger crossing emoticon :p )