Bellazon

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince:

Guest Lullaby

My theory is that the 7th Horcruxes might actually be Harry himself. It would explain alot of the powers he has that Voldermort has as well, and he might have inadvertantly split his soul when he tried to kill baby Harry, which would explain how he was left barely alive, the soul he was using at the time was split in half.

Somebody on another boards well-stated Snape-Lily theory:

Here's my theory on Snape, Lily, DD, and the Unbreakable Vow:

1. Snape had an emotionally deprived childhood.

2. Lily was one of the few people ever to stick up for Snape (via James' bullying).

3. Lily's actions were misinterpreted by Snape and he fell in love with her - normal for somebody so deprived.

4. Snape aids Lily in her potions class, either by giving her the same book Harry used or perphaps tutoring her as an excuse to spend time with her, and lets her take the credit to try to win her heart.

5. Lily ends up with James further isolating Snape from the world emotionally.

6. Snape is taken in by LV and the DE's just after this.

7. Snape spies on DD and hears part of the prophecy.

8. Snape tells LV the prophecy with the idea that LV may get rid of James for him so he can have Lily for himself.

9. Snape asks LV to leave Lily for him as a reward for his service.

10. LV goes to Godric's Hollow, kills James as Snape wanted, gives Lily the chance to live more than once but Lily's love for her son will not allow that. This is something Snape nor LV could not have foreseen as neither ever had that sort of love from their own mother or father.

11. LV kills Lily.

12. Snape is shaken by the loss of Lily and realizes what his selfish desires have caused.

13. He confesses to DD and is truly sorry.

14. DD forgives Snape and uses him against LV from that moment on.

15. Snape does hate Harry because he is a constant reminder of what he never had with Lily and what his jealousy caused to happen to her.

16. Snape wants LV defeated mainly because of Lily but now also because of DD, the other major person in his life to show him some sort of compassion.

17. Snape didn't want DD to die.

18. Snape had made the Unbreakable Vow to keep his cover but with the idea that DD and he might be able to thwart it somehow or that he would take the penalty for breaking it.

19. DD realizes that his time is drawing to a close (his hand injury highlights that) and he does not want to take the chance that Draco or Snape might suffer the penalty.

20. DD also wants to keep Snape close to LV for the battle yet to come between LV and Harry.

21. DD and Snape argue (Hagrid overhears part of it) and DD tells Snape he will carry out the Vow if it comes to it - much like he makes Harry promise to follow his instructions late in book 6.

22. DD consumes a potion he knows will probably kill him.

23. DD is feeling the effects of that potion as Draco confronts him. This is seen by him slumping down the wall, etc.

24. He wants Snape to be there so he can keep blood off Draco's hands and complete the Vow, given that he is dying anyway. This will move Snape even closer to LV.

25. He pleads with Snape to carry out his wishes which Snape does, hating the position his own choices and LV have put him in.

26. Snape reacts to Harry calling him a coward because Snape has just killed the only other person in his life who showed him any compassion, in part so Harry might succeed in his coming battle with LV. Snape resents Harry for reasons stated above but also because Harry does not realize the sacrifice that he and DD have made for him.

27. Snape will bear the guilt of DD's death and open scorn of others for awhile, feeling it is justified for his past misdeeds.

28. Harry will step into DD's shoes and forgive Snape late in book 7. This act of forgiveness (love) will be LV's undoing. Snape will probably die along with LV but be redeemed publicly in the end.

I agree with virtually everything in there (save maybe the prediction about the end), with one exception: Snape didn't know that LV was going to kill the potter's. He had only heard of the month the child was born in, and not even a name.

Thus, when he discovered it was the potter's and that lilly he had killed, he realized his error and confessed to DD.

Thus DD's forgiveness, for there was love in his heart.

Another equally significant post on another website:

"Apart from the fact that Snape killed DD on DD's orders, as he was running away from Harry, deflecting his spells and yelling back at him, it seemed as though Snape was mocking him, but at second thought it seems he was yelling at Harry i know when to block your spells, you need to learn to do them without speaking and even when you're using a wordless spell i know what you're doing, you need to master occlumency these things are going to be essential to Harry's success in book seven, and Snape is already telling him that he needs to master them."

Ps, the person who wrote that was referencing at the end when Snape tells Potter "No no, you need to learn to shut up and close your mind" or something exactly like that (when theyre fighting/dueling).

and in response to someone's critique of this theory, someone wrote:

So, given Snape's attachment to Lily, connection to LV, and his own considerable intelligence, do we really think that Snape told LV the prophecy without having an inkling that it might mean James' and Harry's deaths? Once LV set out for the Potters why didn't Snape warn them or DD or somebody of the impending danger?

Ahh, but someone did warn DD and the Potters once LV decided who he was going after. That caused the Potters to go into hiding and to use the Fidelius Charm.

I think once LV chose the Potters, Snape knew it would be the deaths of James and Harry, but he pled to save Lily. That's why LV offered not to kill her.

... And furthermore, if you ask me, its the reason Snape didn't warn others when and if he found out about it being the Potters: volde agreed to not kill Lilly (thus the reason volde stated hed spare her) and thus when he did, snape turned because of this betrayal and his love.

I think one of the most important things to realize is the light this ending casts on DD, were Snape to be evil.

DD looks naive, stupid (despite his enormous brainpower), and foolish.

Perhaps some of those words are the same( :) ), but nonetheless, Jo wouldn't let DD die looking all those things, for having trusted a man who simply said he was sorry.

And furthermore, Jo has recently said in an interview that we would know more about why snape trusted DD in the next book.

Seems likely DD wont go out looking like such a fool, to me . . . .

( . . . and for those unable to connect the dots, the only way is if his trust in snape looks intelligent.)

I am totally flooding this forum, haha.

Anyhoo, in more reading, i discovered another thing worth mentioning:

Yes, I agree with prettyannamoon. It is important to remember that Snape joined Dumbledore before Voldemort attacked the Potters. Snape had no idea that it was them the prophecy referred to, and when he found out he told Dumbledore everything. If he had come to Dumbledore after Voldemort was defeated, it would have been like he just didn't want to be put in Azkaban. But I agree with your theory in that I believe Snape had feelings for Lily whether romantic or platonic.

Yeah there has to be a reason LV tried to spare lilly.

And I think that this might be what DD was trying to say (that I quoted many posts ago) when Harry interrupted him.

DD was interrupted as saying (somethign like), "When he realized who voldemort had gone after, hat's the reason Snape returned-" and then harry interupts him.

Perhaps the end of that sentence was, "returned before the demise of the Dark Lord," meaning that he pledged allegiance to DD BEFORE LV had failed in killing Harry.

That would be a pretty strong piece of evidence for the smartest wizard alive to believe (as opposed to the shabby one).

My theory is that the 7th Horcruxes might actually be Harry himself. It would explain alot of the powers he has that Voldermort has as well, and he might have inadvertantly split his soul when he tried to kill baby Harry, which would explain how he was left barely alive, the soul he was using at the time was split in half.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a thought. And Dumbledore did say by marking Harry, the Dark Lord passed on some of his powers (parseltongue etc), so perhaps 'power' could be interpretted as 'part of his soul'.

And it was mentioned to me by a friend of mine that the locket (or a locket) was mentioned in the fifth book:

It says that in OotP, on page 116 (US edition) in the last paragraph: ". . . ; also a heavy locket that none of them could open . . ." as in they found a locket when they were cleaning in Grimmauld Place. Possibly the locket?

Guest Lullaby

entirely our own: even though it makes sense they haven't even taken into consideration what hagrid said about death eater's

entirely our own: let me find the quote

entirely our own: "When a wizard goes over ter the Dark Side, there's nothin' and no one that matters to 'em anymore..."

-- Rubeus Hagrid

entirely our own: snape went to the dark side, he was marked

entirely our own: how could he show compassion after that

that ones mental: and it's pretty obvious through his interaction with harry that he had very little feeling outside hatred and contempt for people. and maybe grudging respect, or even fear maybe for others, but nothing more than that

"When a wizard goes over ter the Dark Side, there's nothin' and no one that matters to 'em anymore..."

-- Rubeus Hagrid

entirely our own: snape went to the dark side, he was marked

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought I was on your ignore list?

Also, wasn't Draco marked?

And we see he still wasn't a killer and expressed feeling and remorse.

And furthermore, you'll notice he was bending toward DD himself, despite the mark.

And what's with the "Entirely our own" stuff?

Is that meant to be witty banter because i was quoting someone else?

Guest Lullaby

I was told to view the post by someone else, thanks.

There was nothing saying Draco was actually marked. Harry just assumed he was by a few of his actions.

And entirely our own is my AIM name. Now who's looking stupid? I think that would be you.

There was nothing saying Draco was actually marked. Harry just assumed he was by a few of his actions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but if anything, there is evidence he was. Unless you didn't believe Harry, either.

Cause I did.

Either way, there is no evidence against it, so you can't deny it as a possibility.

Oh, and irregardless, Bellatrix says that Malfoy is "in the dark lord's service", which I think pretty much means the same thing.

Put that with the evidence of him showing off his wrist, i think thats a little more concrete.

I doubt he got a cool temporary tatoo, and felt like showing it to the tailor and the B&B employee ( to scare them), or his friends (to make them think he's cool).

Guest Lullaby

He didn't show it to the tailor, he pulled his arm away when she tried to touch it and we have no solid evidence that he did that in Borgin and Bourkes either. They barely saw anything past a shelf that was in the way. I mean yes, that does hint big time that he's got it, I just don't see why Voldemort would take in an underage wizard. Any magic he did would be tracked and he'd have his wand snapped. What good would that do?

Also, Bellatrix could be implying that he's proving himself. I imagine that in some way, they had to prove their loyalty or else anyone could get marked and sent into battle.

Guest Lullaby

Considering they're not supposed to do magic in the halls I'd say yes. And since the castle is so big and there are only about 300-400 students, it wouldn't be hard to pinpoint the search. And I think they'd honestly be able to tell if the spells were meant for a class at Hogwarts or not.

This is Voldemort we're talking about, that doesn't sound crazy enough.

SchtoopingHer: If you and I read the same book, where is all this "evidence and proof" coming from.

Sweet jesus, this is a childs book. All the "evidence" is coming from a made up story.

Your points are all valid to an extent, however, its not some crime scene investigation where all the clues and evidence solidify and come out to a solid answer/outcome.

In the seventh book, no one really knows what will happen. At the end of day, when you are done arguing, sit back and think: After all that work, nothing was truely accomplished.

"Arguing on the internet is like being in the special Olympics; even if you win, you are still retarded"

:woot: Finally finished the book, to be fair I did not get it the day it came out. So it's not that I read slow it's that you all had a head start. :ninja:

Now I think I will go back and see if you guys have been having interesting discussion or if it's just more of the above :p :laugh: