Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone missing me here? :Angel:

I'm gonna show you a scary Chinese dish this time :nicole: (It might look scary but this is really delicious :drool:)

Stir fry swamp eels

The best dish made with eel I think.... Originally from Jiangnan of China.

Enjoy :)

s10291137.jpg

^

This thread needs to be revived!

Lyon, I've never had that. The last eel I had was the ubiquitous Unagi. I've had pork with garlic sauce, but probably not that type and not chinese..:-.>

3012485810f988062268.jpg

-----------------

My evening meal today was at a mid-range chain restaurant- "Longhorn Steakhouse". I've avoided this place until now. So this can serve as a review of the joint:

The restaurant had a 'Texas Cowboy' theme. It was garnished with Cowboy gear- paintings, saddles, whips, etc,etc. It resembled a cheap museum of sorts or some hobbyist's den. But the decoration was decent, and probably identical in other outlets. The seating was above average. The tables were below-average, and I had problems unloading the contents of my briefcase. The lighting was mid-way bright, and too bright for my taste (I like dark and quiet restaurants, so I can carry on a conversation). The service was thrifty, but below average, even for a chain restaurant. I felt like I was eating at somebody's house.

Appetizers:

1. honeywheat bread with butter- it was hot, right out of the oven. Butter had the texture of ice cream. Strange choice of a corporate appetizer.

2. Caesar side Salad- pretty standard restaurant fare. Cheese was hand-grated.

3. "Outlaw" Ribeye 18 oz. Medium Rare w/ fries- The Ribeye was the most outstanding part of the meal. It was seasoned, sauteed, and cooked very well and up to specification. It was picture-perfect. The meat was well-marbled. The fries were average.

18oz. is a lot of meat, and left me very full.

I've had better steak, but overall this was good American steak for the mid-range, and better than what I've had at the other comparable chains.

The below are not my pics, but a fairly accurate collection from somebody else's. My ribeye and salad were much prettier than his, though :)

post-40981-0-44814700-1346800362_thumb.jpost-40981-0-16851600-1346801857_thumb.jpost-40981-0-89195300-1346801851_thumb.j

My dinner partner had Salmon over Caesar salad. The Caesar salad was the same as my side salad and not particularly good. The Salmon, however, was a good cut and done as well as the Ribeye.

Lyon...thanks for those adds. My stomach sure missed this thread A LOT!

I actually wouldn't mind having a plate of that stir fry swamp eel :chicken: I usually always get eel when I do sushi so I can only imagine the flavors with the dish above :drool:

Great....and Andi had to post that big-o hunk of steak. Hunger at maximum peak now! :chicken: EDIT: Never mind, just read your cooking preference for steaks. So with that known, what's your favorite cut of beef Andi?

^

What's your favorite cut, Dave?

The bread was alright, pretty typical freshly baked bread. I have no complaints and no special memories.. Overall, the LH steakhouse's items that I had today were average besides the salmon and the steak which were above-average (and they were the main attractions, anyway..!)/

I was planning on trying their desert sampler, but we didn't have any 'room' left. This is it: Cheesecake, apple pie topped with caramel ice cream, and chocolate cake topped with vanilla ice cream. Pretty standard, but I missed the opportunity to see what they had come up with.

88057963.jpg

Yeah, snack time :bounce:

Here are some traditional Chinese snacks :hehe:

Ding Ding Candy

1424041_2896067083014_663X662.jpg_470X469.jpg

Dragon's beard candy

Honey_of_Korea_traditional_food.jpgpost-21823-0-1446013443-348_thumb.jpg

Eggette

post-21823-0-1446013443-41706_thumb.jpg

Put Chai Ko

post-21823-0-1446013443-48226_thumb.jpg

Candy and Coconut Wrap

post-21823-0-1446013443-54865_thumb.jpg

Fried Chestnuts

post-21823-0-1446013443-63299_thumb.jpg

Sachima

post-21823-0-1446013443-81139_thumb.jpg

Maltose with biscuits

46_110415111254_1.jpg

This is only a part of trad Chinese snack :chicken:

Grandma’s Braised Pork Belly

I've had pork belly (usually unintentionally... :ridinghorse: but never like that. I guess it's the type of dish for people really like pig skin and pig fat :-p

I've never had it braised, though, so that does make me wonder...:-)

This is only a part of trad Chinese snack :chicken:

Do you have any others? I'd love to know what they are :)

Egglettes are widely available in Chinatown, NYC. They're sold by street vendors. I like them, and they get me every time. one could smell them a block away. I think they're better than pancakes and crepes. Pancakes are too thick and heavy and crepes are too thin/moist but egglettes are balanced just right... :) It's a very underrated food, and I wish it was broadly available outside of the ethnic district. Sachima is okay for my taste, but I do wish it wasn't so sticky..it causes me to search for dental floss...!

I don't think I've had or seen the other stuff besides the chestnuts and the 'put chai po'.

I'd have to go with a nice Filet Mignon, rare. With a nice pepper crust on mine. And use some of the pan drippings to make a delicious cream based sauce with it :chicken: A close second would have to be the Sirloin Strip Steak with a good side of garlic mashed potatoes, oh how I'd be in heaven right now with that in front of me :drool:

Ribeye is by far my favorite steak. I really like the taste of beef fat, while others often don't or prefer not to have it in excess.... I'd put Filet at #2 though, and made rare.

Got a gift basket of pastries this evening:

Jewish cookies, hamentashen filled with blueberry filling, strawberry filling, and pineapple cream.

20090311hamentashenmois.jpg

Hard-shelled Walnut pasteries and a cranberry version of the same thing:

129613406134316317012ch.jpg

I sampled all of them, and they were quite special. Good aftertaste via added alcohol, very rich yet lighter than norm on the sugar. Very fresh, and made with natural ingredients.