Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

I wonder how much Jesse Plemons is in the actual movie. I didn't read a thing about him or his performance AT ALL so far.

Scorsese and De Niro reunite at Cannes for Killers of the Flower Moon

The director and actor talked about learning from the Native American nation at the heart of their latest film

Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro have reunited at the Cannes film festival to present a feature together for the first time in almost half a century, discussing their acclaimed new movie, Killers of the Flower Moon, on Sunday.

“We haven’t been here together since 76,” said De Niro, recalling the premiere of Taxi Driver, the second of their 10 collaborations, which won the festival’s top prize, the Palme d’Or.

Both men spoke of the importance to them both of sensitively telling the story of a succession of murders that terrorised the Osage people in Oklahoma in the mid-1920s. These killings were motivated by a desire to ensure the new wealth created by oil found on the Osage reservation fell into the hands of white incomers.

Scorsese said he had been so deeply influenced by his encounters with the Native Americans that he switched the film’s focus and decided to tell the story of the crimes from the victims’ perspective.

The 80-year-old director, whose Catholicism has been a dominant theme in many of his films to date, attended a series of Osage council sessions in which he observed their prayers and rituals. “I was so affected and so moved,” he said. “I know what their values are and [that they are] really understanding how to live on this planet. It reoriented me every time they spoke.”

Joining Scorsese at the press conference was Chief Standing Bear, leader of the Osage Nation, who said that his people still suffer to this day. “But I can say on behalf of the Osage Nation that Scorsese and his team have restored trust,” he added.

Killers of the Flower Moon was rapturously received at its premiere on Saturday evening at Cannes, where it is showing out of competition. Scorsese’s 26th feature – and, at almost four hours, one of his longest – is adapted from David Grann’s nonfiction book of the same name.

Questioned about his radical approach to this source material, much of which was rejected in favour of a revisionist take on the case, Scorsese said: “As far as taking risks at this age, what else can I do? Do a comfortable film? Like sitting on a set in the heat is comfortable? We might as well be risking something.”

The director credited the film’s star, Leonardo DiCaprio, with steering much of the story, saying that he and the actor had first imagined the film as being told from the point of view of the FBI. “I felt it is not a whodunnit, but a who-didn’t-do-it. But then Leo asked me: ‘Where is the heart of this story?”

The pair, who had already worked together on five feature films, then concentrated on a real-life character who was “least written about”: an apparent chancer called Ernest Burkhart, who married into the Osage community and became embroiled in the murders.

“I said: ‘Let’s create Ernest as a template for that tragedy of love, trust and betrayal,” said Scorsese, “and what happened to the Indigenous people.’”

De Niro plays DiCaprio’s uncle, and said some of the “systemic racism” shown in the film became clearer to him after witnessing reactions to the killing of George Floyd almost three years ago. “It is the banality of evil, the thing we have to watch out for,” he said, adding: “We see it today.”

The actor has long been a vocal critic of the former president Donald Trump and compared public reaction to his election to the casual inhumanity depicted in the film. “There are people that think he could do a good job – imagine how insane that is.”

Source

Vikramaditya Motwane watches Leonardo DiCaprio's Killers of the Flower Moon at Cannes, pens heartfelt note

Vikramaditya Motwane took to Instagram to share his experience after watching Martin Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon at Cannes Film Festival.

Vikramaditya Motwane and Anurag Kashyap are currently at the Cannes Film Festival. Both filmmakers recently attended the premiere of Martin Scorsese's latest film Killers of the Flower Moon, starring Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio. Vikramaditya then took to Instagram to share the experience of watching the film at Cannes. (Also read: Robert De Niro compares his Killers Of The Flower Moon character to Donald Trump: ‘But that guy is stupid’)

Taking to Instagram to share the overwhelming feeling of witnessing the star-studded premiere, the Jubilee director shared a bunch of pictures from the screening of the film. The first picture showed the opening titles of the film on screen, with 'A Martin Scorsese Picture' written in bold. Another picture showed the tickets to the screening of the film. He also captured a snippet of the standing ovation the film received at the end of the screening. The last picture of the post saw Vikramaditya and Anurag together.

"The word honour and privilege get used too easily sometimes, but not in this case…Just being in THIS cinema, at THIS moment, watching THIS man present his film to the world for the first time was SOMETHING ELSE! The two children in the last photo could never have imagined this while watching Mean Streets 20+ years ago. Thank You @shruti_kapoor_21 for the style." Vikramaditya wrote in the caption.

Martin Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon received a 9-minute standing ovation after its premiere, the longest of the festival so far. Based on the titular book by David Grann, the 3 and a half hour film focuses on the a series of murders of wealthy Osage people that took place in Osage County, Oklahoma, in the early 1920s. Critics showered praise on the western epic, calling it a masterpiece, with special attention to the performance of actor Lily Gladstone.

Amid the standing ovation, Scorsese also addressed the crowd and said, “Thank you to the Osages. Everyone connected with the picture. My old pals Bob and Leo, and Jesse and Lily. We shot this a couple of years ago in Oklahoma. It’s taken it’s time to come around but Apple did so great by us. There was lots of grass. I’m a New Yorker. I was very surprised. This was an amazing experience. We lived in that world.”

Source

Killers Of The Flower Moon Could Mark The Return Of Blockbuster Adult Dramas At The Movies

Both are auteur-driven dramas starring Leonardo Dicaprio. It's not a bad recipe for success.

ouatih-kotfm.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=1140

The first trailer for Killers of the Flower Moon dropped yesterday and it looks incredible. For years, all we've had of the movie was one production still of stars Leonardo Dicaprio and Lily Gladstone sitting at a table, so finally getting a longer look at the film is really exciting. This is Martin Scorsese's first movie since The Irishman and I also suspect it could be the first adult drama to really break through at the box office since the year of that film's release.

Though movies have rebounded in many ways in the past year, the halcyon days of 2019 seem impossibly far away in others. That year gave us several blockbuster hits that weren't franchise movies. Globally, Little Women made $218.9 million, Ford v Ferrari grossed $225.5 million, Hustlers hustled $157.6 million, Parasite took in $263.1 million, and Knives Out slashed its way to $311.9 million. Standing above them all was Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood, Quentin Tarrantino's alternative history of the Manson murders which rode its director's name recognition and a star-studded cast to $374.6 million. Killers of the Flower Moon is a different, less obviously entertaining beast, but I think it has the chance to get adult moviegoers back to theaters in a way that nothing yet has post-Covid.

That's because Killers of the Flower Moon shares two crucial things with Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood. For one, it's the long-anticipated next movie from a beloved Hollywood auteur with a history of strong box office performance. Not every Scorsese movie is a hit, but in the 21st century alone, he's scored at the box office with The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island, and The Wolf of Wall Street. Which brings us to the second thing that Killers of the Flower Moon has in common with OUATIH — and with all of Scorsese's blockbusters of the last 20 years — the presence of Leonardo Dicaprio, the biggest American movie star that isn’t Tom Cruise.

It can be easy to forget how massive a box office draw Leo is because the man just doesn't do that many movies. You remember The Revenant? The movie that won him the Oscar back in 2015? I saw it when I was 21 and still in college, and now I'm 29 and have been out of college for seven years. Killers of the Flower Moon is only his third movie since then (OUATIH, Don’t Look Up). Dicaprio’s presence made a movie about a guy trying to survive in the wilderness for nearly three hours into a massive ($533 million) hit. If anyone is going to bring the adult drama back, it's him.

Of course, Killers of the Flower Moon is going to have to clear a pretty high threshold to be a hit. It cost $200 million dollars to make, so it will need to bring in at least $400 million to begin turning a profit. That's a lot of money, and only superheroes and sequels have made that much since the pandemic began.

On the other hand, Killers of the Flower Moon didn't primarily get greenlit to turn a profit. Apple is putting it in theaters, but that's a rare move for a streamer and is likely driven more by Scorsese and Dicaprio pushing for a theatrical release than Apple's own interest. Instead, like The Irishman, it's more likely that Killers of the Flower Moon is Apple's attempt to purchase prestige and awards recognition by writing the most acclaimed living American filmmaker a massive check.

So, it doesn't actually need to be a massive box office hit to accomplish the goals that Apple likely has for it. Still, I don't think you can necessarily write it off. Older audiences have been returning to theaters slowly and movies like Book Club: The Next Chapter and 80 for Brady haven't connected nearly as much as their pre-Covid counterparts, but there are signs of life. A Man Called Otto made $112.6 million almost entirely on the strength of Tom Hanks' status as a box office draw among older audiences, and the success of The Whale further shows that there's an audience for star-driven dramas. Moviegoers as a whole got their return to theaters moment with Top Gun: Maverick, so I wouldn't rule out Killers of the Flower Moon as the movie that could bring audiences back for dramas.

Source

1 hour ago, Jade Bahr said:

Killers of the Flower Moon Accuracy & Sensitivity Addressed By Descendant Of Murder Victim

Jim Gray, a direct descendent of one of the murder victims that Killers of the Flower Moon portrays, addresses the film’s respect for real history.

killers-of-the-flower-moon-leonardo-dica

Jim Gray, a direct descendant of a murder victim who features in Martin Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon, addresses the film's historical accuracy and sensitivity to real-world Indigenous cultures. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Lily Gladstone, and Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon chronicles the true story of the FBI investigation into a series of murders of members of the Osage Nation in 1920s Oklahoma after oil is discovered on their land. The film is an adaptation of a 2017 non-fiction book by author David Grann.

Ahead of Killers of the Flower Moon's release date later this fall, Gray, a direct descendant of murder victim Henry Roan, takes to Twitter to share his thoughts on Scorsese's upcoming crime epic after his own private screening. Gray, a former Principal Chief of the Osage Nation, shares that Scorsese ultimately made modern-day members of the Osage Nation integral to the creation of the film and took their input into consideration in the crafting of the story. Check out Gray's tweets below:

full article

Thank you for posting this. Reading Chief Gray’s words is comforting in that it appears the film was done “right”. The Osage Nation and other Oklahoma indigenous nations worked very hard on this film.

Oklahoma's lieutenant governor attends 'Killers of the Flower Moon' premiere

https://www.koco.com/amp/article/killers-of-the-flower-moon-martin-scorsese-leonardo-dicaprio-premiere-cannes/43951722

This is like a spit in the face. He and the governor have tried so hard to destroy Osage, Cherokee, and Creek Nations these past four years. 😡 His attendance here is disgusting.