Bellazon

Paulina Porizkova
Thumbnail

supermodel07

An article from Glamour Russia November 2007

post-18318-1281848131_thumb.jpg post-18318-1281848251_thumb.jpg

article translation, courtesy of the kind people I got the magazine from and with the help of Google's translator tool...

‪Diary of a Madwoman‬

‪42-year-old Paulina Porizkova, 90's supermodel, became a successful writer - the critics are unanimous in their assessments.‬

‪The first time I visited the office of my publisher on a frosty February day this year - says Porizkova. - I just got my unfinished first novel, "Model Summer" and was to discuss the future publication.‬ Dressed like a writer (a modest sweater, and the least of cosmetics), I stand utterly simple.‬ ‪Before me was the editor.‬ ‪Nice lady.‬ ‪Graciously she greeted me and politely asked: "And who will write this book?"‬ ‪I nodded with a smile: that is understandable.‬ ‪It is difficult to argue with a man on the street certainly that the girl on the cover of Playboy is capable.‬ ‪Well, I think post-model career - this is my cross.‬ ‪And I bear it!‬

‪Laws genre‬

‪As a child, like many models, I was too long and skinny to be attractive even to my own relatives.‬ ‪I was going to join the writers or artists.‬ ‪And when, at fifteen, the head of the agency Elite Model offered me a job in Paris, the shock was so strong that I have not yet recovered.‬

‪In Paris, I suddenly became beautiful.‬ ‪I learned what a compliment was from my boss, bouquets from strangers at the table in restaurants and free drinks at the bar.‬ ‪I found that passers-by looked at me, not just when I had torn pantyhose - every act of attention was balm to the wounded teenage ego.‬ ‪But a year later, I lied to strangers, telling them that I was in this city with my fiance: it turned out that the role of Cinderella at the ball has its drawbacks.‬ ‪All of you know, ask the photo (better to smile at the camera, arms around each other) - and no one talks to you like a human being.‬ ‪Attempts to discuss history and literature - I have diligently studied these subjects - causes a reaction like the one where your child announces that he wants to become an astronaut or a fireman: met with a smile and pat on the head.‬ ‪One mention of my profession brings down my intellectual level in the eyes of others to zero.‬

‪Woe from Wit‬

‪In a desperate attempt to be treated seriously, I was wearing all black and was very unapproachable.‬ ‪Smoking.‬ ‪Quoted little-known German philosophers.‬ ‪So I took my first interview.‬ ‪A journalist asked me what I think about the craft of modeling, and I replied that the only way a teenager can get paid well is by simply appearing in public with washed hair.‬ ‪He was impressed with my frankness, but I made an interesting discovery: it is easy to seem clever, if you are thought of as an idiot.‬

Then I had a baby and went to work. No more posters and calendars, I decided. Instead, I was testing myself as an actress and wrote a book for children. Reaction? There was no criticism, just pure indifference. This indifference from the public made me write a book again. I enrolled in classes where they teach you to write "epistolary novels". I have made friends, for whom I was a skinny little girl, who did not always put grammatically correct sentences together, but was known for her talent for intricate story-lines. Then I wrote a story of Irzhina, a girl who was similar to myself in those days, when I sold my face and figure. I turned myself inside out, creating her life, thoughts, words. At this time [when Paulina was writing this story of Irzhina], only some invitations to presentations reminded me of my own past. To them [meaning the invitations] I preferred quite evenings with my husband and children.

‪Application for victory.‬

‪In April, my book was published.‬ ‪Now, the book had to be sold and to draw attention, I agreed to participate in the show "Dancing with the Stars."‬ ‪I rehearsed for six weeks, dancing in heels for eight hours a day.‬ ‪The producers insisted that I change public opinion about models.‬ ‪And what happened?‬ ‪Instead, I was the first member the jury unanimously dismissed from the competition!‬ ‪But the real surprise was not a failure on TV, and positive reviews of my book.‬ ‪Critics found it the "heartbreaking saga of loss of innocence" and a "coming-of-age story."‬ ‪Now I rejoice!‬

‪I have always believed that beauty is just wrapping paper.‬ ‪My wrap was removed only now, when I was forty-two.‬ ‪At the moment I am writing a new story, and also cleaning house and cooking dinner.‬ ‪Now I listen only to the opinion of my husband, children, friends and relatives.‬ ‪After all, their love and respect does not depend on my external appearance!‬

here is another one I just got - I was told that it's from a 1986 Vogue UK - I'm not sure about this - when I scanned the page, it seems a bit bigger than Vogue UK pages generally are, so I don't know on this one...I do know the photo is by Rico Puhlmann and it's a beautiful pic

post-18318-1282449070_thumb.jpg

OK - here's a pic I acquired about 2 years ago and the seller stated it was Paulina. I have since learned it is actually Phoebe O'Brien from the book "Hair Style" - which, incidentally, I already have (one of my not-so-bright moments). In my defense, it does look A LOT like Paulina's profile - though the nose is not quite right...

post-18318-1282449874_thumb.jpg

Now, the reason I bring all this up is I found this pic (below) for Grosvenor from Vogue UK October 1988. At first glance, I would have put money on it being Paulina, but upon closer examination, I have my doubts...what do you all think? Maybe it is Phoebe also???

post-18318-1282450755_thumb.jpg

OK - here's a pic I acquired about 2 years ago and the seller stated it was Paulina. I have since learned it is actually Phoebe O'Brien from the book "Hair Style" - which, incidentally, I already have (one of my not-so-bright moments). In my defense, it does look A LOT like Paulina's profile - though the nose is not quite right...

post-18318-1282449874_thumb.jpg

Now, the reason I bring all this up is I found this pic (below) for Grosvenor from Vogue UK October 1988. At first glance, I would have put money on it being Paulina, but upon closer examination, I have my doubts...what do you all think? Maybe it is Phoebe also???

post-18318-1282450755_thumb.jpg

:wave: Hi 630redhead! No idea who she is, but I don´t think this Grosvenor advertisement is Paulina.

Hey Red, thank you for those CK shots. Wow. love them. :heart::heart::kiss:

I dont think the grosvenor its Pau. Neck its not long enough and the distance between her lips and nose its off that profile its not right. Paulina is more simmetrical than that.LOL. Paulina profile expert here!

I do think the profile pic with the hair braids its probably her though. :heart:

thank you, Im going to go enjoy these new pics for a bit. :wave:

Gioia Winter 1992

This magazine contains a several-page article on Liv Tyler, but there is one full-page picture of Paulina & Liv together. First is the page as it appears in the magazine and the second is a closeup that is flipped to the correct orientation...

post-18318-1283111022_thumb.jpg post-18318-1283111059_thumb.jpg

This editorial I believe is from Harper's Bazaar en Espanol (Noche y Dia) - it has the same pictures as the American Harper's Bazaar from 1987 New Star Style except the 3rd full page is a large picture, where New Star style was just 2 pages and the picture was a small inset on the second page (in the US version)

post-18318-1283116227_thumb.jpg post-18318-1283116261_thumb.jpg post-18318-1283116304_thumb.jpg

Hi SympathySilhouette :wave:

On page 73 of this thread (Post #1451), I posted a page from Blender magazine on "Rock Gal Pals" - it contains the same picture but there is writing on the page, so I don't know if this is what you want. Take a look. If you would like me to scan again in better quality and repost, please let me know. I do not have just the picture with no writing on it though.